Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2017 crop pics

Well thoguht I'd throw a few pics up here tonight from this crop year so far. It's been a bumpy spring so far. Lots of break downs, delays and weather problems. To we to dry and now getting close to too wet again. Having problems getting spraying done now. Every little cloud that passes by seems to drop at least a few drops of rain as it goes by.

First day out seeding this spring. Got the autosteer dialed in fairly well and everything was going along great. Got about 40 acres done and the first problem of the year popped up. Electric switch for the clutches on the air cart started acting up. Figured ok no biggy 20 dollar switch and I'll be back up and going again. Wrong. 92 dollars and some odd cents. Just for the switch itself in the picture not the black box and wiring. Simple rocker switch that's off, on and all on. 

IMG_2025.JPG.94dd33ad1ef3bb9789732bbe66319811.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG.8f1b45e4fca46e6c4417b92f55a9cb56.JPGIMG_2027.JPG.00b30e0f96a3c8a6b8aa46ea97aa84ef.JPG

IMG_2029.JPG.39b75dba6f9261225e3d7ce74df7a663.JPG

Day was pretty well shot by the time I got everything going again so we shut down for the night after a hour of two of seeding.

Got a little bit of a late start the next morning again and after a few hours of seeding this big brute of a storm started to roll through.

IMG_2033.thumb.JPG.72402fbea5ac691029356712060c8fb6.JPG

Few minutes later this funny little white cloud appeared. It kept moving up and down in the sky all while changing shapes. At one point it looked like a great big long funnel cloud coming out of the sky and trailing along the horizon but I'm sure it wasn't. Was just a odd sight that day.

IMG_2034.thumb.JPG.9c0fc84e939ee0d49a2e23797992a715.JPG

Managed to dodge it all till that storm hooked all the way back around us and came back at us from the north west. By that time it had tamed down quite a bit but we still ended up with a couple tenths out of it. I seeded through the rain for a hour and a half or so and decided I better quit and go home. Field was starting to get pretty muddy by then.

IMG_2036.JPG.f9d7efbeb641992ea0f87b497254026d.JPG

Got going shortly after noon only to have this happen a hour or two latter.

I'd seeded through this very run the day before and while it was wet I didn't have a whole lot of trouble with it. That trip just wasn't my lucky day. It's on a run that's half way up a hillside. It's usually dry and no problem seeding through it. Tractor broke threw the crust and it was just mush underneath. Front caster wheels on the air drill turn into dozer blades as soon as the tractor spins. No problem just a mile walk home cause there was no one there to pick up the phone.lol. Oh well as a friend said I needed the exerciser anyways :lol::huh:<_<

IMG_2038.JPG.bfc919b7d9d267192859d22065193fa4.JPG

Back at it again with a little help form the john deere to pull me out.

Ran into problems later on that day with the hydraulics. Fan speed started to fluctuate so I winged up and came home.Did some investigating and had good pressure from the tractor pump. Ok it's got to be the fan motor. Trip to Prince Albert which is about 45 miles one way. New fan motor and a couple pails of oil. I tore it appart while mom and dad went for parts and was pretty sure I'd found the problem. Was one little pin that was broken on the tip where the pistons sit in

IMG_2022.thumb.JPG.f841de526e65d212e91017f928065d81.JPG

Now we've got er made right? Nope fan speed still only runs up to 3300 rpm. Alot more then before but still only 2/3rds of the way there. More investigating and now the drill is slow to lift and it will not lift the wings like it should either. By this time things are getting a little expensive but there's only one thing left to do and that's change the hyd. pump. Drive the same 45 miles back into town just before closing to get a new pump and a bunch of filters. Now we can give er and get things done.

two hours into the next day my favorite switch burnt out again. It failed differently this time so we thought we had a dud. None in stock at our dealer so we had to make a quick trip to the manufacture. Luckily they're only 55 miles away. Dealer warrantied it and we were off and running again.

IMG_2041.thumb.JPG.b794332254b6515fc2c74ecf2c17cddb.JPG

Finally finished that field up the next morning. Figured ok the worst is over now we can give er. Switched off the oats and onto Canola as Dad wasn't sure what to seed where at that point. Got about 60 acres in and the switch went again. Shut things down then and started to do some very thorough investigating. Talked to a few other people and got some advice. Came home did some more testing on the clutches and looked the wiring over very carefully again. Only thing I could find that was slightly suspicious was one pin in one of the weatherpak connections was quite fully seated. Pushed it in all the way for sure that time and I moved the power supply wires for the air cart to a separate battery. Finished up the canola at home that night.

IMG_2048.thumb.JPG.6882fc85c78d7373a04730868aeca436.JPG

Next morning we geared up to move to my rented land. Got filled with NH3 before we left and had a chat with the driver. He sudgested adding a extra ground wire from the connection at the clutches to the frame on the air cart so  I did that too just as a preventative measure.  Seeded another 500 acres after that with no more trouble so either there was something wrong with the ground circuit or we got 2 faulty switches.

Got some more pics I'll post tomorrow night. Getting late now time to go to bed again lol.

bitty    0

Here's what I planted our corn with. A MX 270 on a case IH 1200pt twelve row. My brother ran the McCormick MTX 140 on the 955 six row.

Thanks BJ Kline for fixing the file size restrictions

IMG_20170611_205727213_HDR.thumb.jpg.8a09bfb5d110871fdeeebc068fb7384b.jpg

Loadstar    0

Very interesting to hear about other's planting problems. I guess mine don't look so bad now. Although those unseeded strips in my fields will no doubt be subject for discussion among the crop inspectors :-). I've got that same Bourgault switch and so far the original has never failed me. What did happen was the plug in connections between the tank and seeder temporarily lost contact after a sharp turn and everything on the tank stopped working (including the shaft warning monitor). This happened several times and in spite of my cleaning up and inspection, those plug ins just don't seem to be reliable. 

Currently on hold waiting on weather to settle. Between rain, wind and just plain threatening weather I have not moved for a week. Wheat is getting to really need spraying and I should be hitting the RR canola for the second time too. Cloud and showers again now after a nice sunny start to the morning. 

I don't seem to have any good crop pics handy so here is a link to a video of me planting canola as seen from a drone view. 

That's a pretty stout loader tractor bitty nice tractor to work with I'm sure.

That's a nice video Ralph. One of these days I'm going to get me a drone. Hopefully this summer. There's some older new stock DJI phantom 3 drones out there pretty cheap now but I hate to buy something older too. Technology has improved quite a bit I would think and the bigger thing is product support may not be there much longer for some of them. The Autels like yours never did seem to drop back down in price like they were when you bought yours either. Course our dollar exchange wasn't doing us any favors either.

Next few pics are from my rented land. It was horribly wet this year. I fully expected to get stuck multiple times seeding on it but much to my surprise I got through everything that I could without getting stuck. Lost about 15 acres. part of that was thanks to some unfriendly water drainage coming onto my land. Guy next to me dug a ditch through a old road and drained a bunch of water right through the middle of mine. Land owners were going to take their track hoe over and plug it all up but I don't think they've done it yet. Hopefully they get at it soon though. Land borders the Sask River. Can see the valley in the one picture.

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

wheatking    0

I guess everyone had problems this year we were getting the combine stuck at the beginning then tractor troubles for a week that really put me behind till I could find a rental unit once I found a versatile I was on my way finding a tractor to buy or rent was impossible, but I got it all in I'm a little later than the rest kind, I only found 1 strip so far just no fertilizer though mice put a nest up in my fertilizer line and it checked out ok when I tested but I guess a lot of fert goin down the tube plugged it I got it all sorted out later

nice to see pictures and videos of other parts of the country I'm not really a taking picture or video kinda person so I can only contribute so much

Snaped a few pics from our north quarter. Always nice up there in the bush. Makes spraying a bit easier too even on the windier days.

IMG_2081.PNG

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

Good to hear from you again wheatking. Kind of why I started another post. Catch up with the locals again lol..Seems pretty well everyone I've talked to has had a bit of a rough spring. Lots of people getting stuck and alot of land that will not even get seeded. Much bigger problem in that regard then what I went though this spring. Once I got all the problems sorted out things went somewhat smoothly then. Least till the last 30 acres. That took about 3 days to finish.lol.. Hopefully we get a decent fall so things dont freeze and we can get it off dry and good quality. Actually still have one neighbor that's out seeding yet. Kind of foolish if you ask me but I guess. They seem to be getting further behind every year though. More crop out in the spring and later seeding every year is a bad recipe I think. 

Few pics from the last couple of days of seeding. Dad managed to plant the harrows one more time. Managed to unhook the tractor and drive it out but just barely. Harrows were sunk to the top of the frame and the tractor was almost hung up. Took about 5 hours of washing this year to get the poor versatile cleaned up. Dirtiest it's ever been I think. One quarter there's a washout the full half a mile long. There's one low spot where you can kind of get through. Was across it a few times and nearly didn't make it a couple of times. Just about stalled out the one time. Had to go down a gear once the tractor was through.  Last pic is the last little triangle I seeded for 2017. Felt good to have it done finally.

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

Loadstar    0
30 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Snaped a few pics from our north quarter. Always nice up there in the bush. Makes spraying a bit easier too even on the windier days.

Not enough bush to slow down the wind even on my land today. Gusts to 75 km and I had to tie my hat on out in the yard. Yet I saw one machine spraying. Not sure how much Roundup was hitting the ground but the field got done. Glad my land was not downwind. 

I really need to get the second application on my RR canola as its getting big but either threatening rain or too windy most days. We have one good spray day this week. Showers forecast for tomorrow. 

It was the driest spring in years here  and nice to not worry about getting stuck. I took this pic while harrowing the last field with the 2090 Case. That is our "lake" in the background. It stretches over half a mile long and used to be crop land before the wet years took it back. I don't usually plant the same crop back to back but this is oats on oat stubble. Just the way it worked out on this little field so I'll see how it works out. 

2090 harrowing.jpg

Wild oats are the biggest enemy doing that, that's for sure. Have done little bits here too in the past one field we're actually still trying to clean up. Little 7 acre field that somehow got seeded 3 years in a row. Was going to spray it twice last summer when it had LL canola  on it. That was right when I got burnt last summer though so it didn't happen. Seeded barley on it this year. Seeded extremely heavy as I had seed left over so we'll see what it looks like now when I spray. 

You'll have to plant some trees and build some cabins there Ralph lake front property's on the rise lol. We've got a few smaller sloughs on our land that join up in the wet years. Drained some of them a few years ago and gained back a little but it's still wet in the bottoms. One ditch is starting to silt in a little already though. 

Getting closer to getting the new sprayer running again. Been a long slow process. Did a complete rebuild on the motor with a different block as ours was cracked. If this rain keeps up I might even get to use it in crop lol. 

IMG_2194.JPG

db1486    0

Nice pics again this year. I was thinking the other day I wonder if there's going to be a 2017 crop pics topic. And there is lol. 

Good to know that we're not the only ones that had a rough spring. Seems every farmer I talked too ran into breakdowns of some sort. Probably the worst though is I think there was 5 tractors burnt this spring within a 45 mile radius of me. And very hard to get a replacement. We lucked out and picked one up but the other guys couldn't find anything. Here we were so wet in spring you couldn't go anywhere with the quad on the fields and yet everyone got there crop off and never missed an acre seeding. Now we're just fighting with the wind and rain to get spraying done. Thought today looked good. Got rained out 4 times lol. Started spraying wheat today that should've been done 2 weeks ago. Oh well. Maybe the year will end better than it started

Loadstar    0
17 hours ago, db1486 said:

Now we're just fighting with the wind and rain to get spraying done. Thought today looked good. Got rained out 4 times lol. Started spraying wheat today that should've been done 2 weeks ago. Oh well. Maybe the year will end better than it started

Its been a real challenge trying to spray crops without wind blowing it away or rain washing it off. I finally unhitched from the sprayer this morning. Just in time to hitch up to the haybine!

I took this shot of my earliest canola field on the weekend while spraying it the second shot of glyphosate. Yes, its big and I should have been on it days ago but just so windy. It should be blooming in a matter of days. 

canola june 24.jpg

wheatking    0

been windy here as well only have 5 quarters left to spray wouldn't take long then were caught up and hope to move this spring thrashed grain out quickly

looked at the results of the Ritchie sale in Saskatoon and things didn't sell to bad I thought everything was reasonably price could have bought a 9380 4wd for 42500 that had big hours but didn't look to bad from pictures for a second machine

I'm so jealous of you guys and big tractors... I've got 2 places on our nursery that the center pivot irrigation doesn't reach so my dad let's me plant corn or soybeans for the deer there. If the area totals an acre I'm lucky.  We put about 8 rows of corn in and covered the rest in beans maybe 2 weeks ago. I knew it was way late but much to my surprise they all sprouted up about 4 days later...

20170620_175819.jpg

Loadstar    0
On 6/27/2017 at 5:30 AM, Outgrew the offset said:

10 foot drill for the beans behind a NH 8010 mudder

That is a unique little tractor. Never seen one like it.

I took a crop pic of my earliest canola field yesterday. Its a little later than last year with only a few flowers showing up at this point. A little short too as we did not get the rain we needed after seeding. 

Canola Canada Day.jpg

amsashooter    0

Water Hemp is a bit thick in last year's drowned out spot. But nothing a little Flexstar and Dual can't take care of.

IMG_20170630_140412015.jpg

IMG_20170630_140450014.jpg

wheatking    0

canola doesn't look to bad there Ralph mine is just goin into bolting stage now I'm still surprised there is enough moisture down below to do all this although an inch of rain would be really appreciated we had 2 tenth last night but it's already gone

I finished Thursday night and dumped the rest of my water truck on my front lawn and it didn't cover a very big circle 900 gallons sank in on a 5ft circle

looks like heat for a week straight here so maybe it will trigger a shower or to I gotta get my hail insurance on right away the office was closed on Friday already when I went in

although on my quick drive yesterday I saw a field of durum heading out already so that's quick I looked at mine and the head is made and in the bottom of the boot and if it can get up and have a little height to it, it should make a not bad crop

Loadstar    0
3 hours ago, amsashooter said:

Water Hemp is a bit thick in last year's drowned out spot. But nothing a little Flexstar and Dual can't take care of.

If I had to take a wild guess I'd ask if that crop is soybeans? I have never seen the crop although I hear some are trying it in the area this year. 

George 2    0
1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

If I had to take a wild guess I'd ask if that crop is soybeans? I have never seen the crop although I hear some are trying it in the area this year. 

Do you have enough rain in July and August to grow soys? I hear there are lots of soys in Manitoba now. With Roundup and Dicamba soybean growing has become a lot easier. Mine are doing surprising well considering all the rain we had in June. 

Loadstar    0
5 minutes ago, George 2 said:

Do you have enough rain in July and August to grow soys? I hear there are lots of soys in Manitoba now. With Roundup and Dicamba soybean growing has become a lot easier. Mine are doing surprising well considering all the rain we had in June. 

That is the big gamble. We never know how much rain we wiil get in July/August. For several years now we have had enough and more rain. This year is turning out to be different. 

George 2    0
29 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

That is the big gamble. We never know how much rain we wiil get in July/August. For several years now we have had enough and more rain. This year is turning out to be different. 

The only thing I can say is that some of the later varieties we use (Group 1) in our area are now quite drought resistant. I found that out with DeKalb 28-60RY last year in our drought. We essentially had no rain in July and August and still managed to pull off 48 bu/ac. I suspect it is only a matter of time until you will be able to purchase relatively drought resistant early varieties for your area.