jdetig

7120 tractor hot hyd oil

jdetig    0

I'm using my 7120 on a 16 row fast side dress applicator. Hyd pump is running off #1 outlet with the return hose in the motor return port on the far right side that dumps back into the trans. How hot is too hot for the hyd oil? I can hold my hand on the hyd hoses for a few seconds but not very long it's too hot to hold. Is this normal? I have the flow turned down all the way I think? I have an early one with the silver knobs down by the tire, no in cab controls.

Are your rear axle housings hot to the touch? If so your brakes may be dragging. To correct this blow the dirt off the top of the brake valve on front of the cab. Then adjust to where the pins are free to spin. If you had a temp gun that would help. Hydraulic  Oil will run about 100* over ambient temperature from what I have been around. Good luck 

jdetig    0

Also I can't raise the applicator with the hyd motor engaged. Is this normal? Do I have my flow control set too high for the #1 outlet? It seems like the silver flow control knob only turns about a half turn in either direction.

jass1660    0

Too much flow to #1, that is the priority valve you need to slow the flow down or use a different outlet. 

jdetig    0

I figure it out. Flow control was turned wide open. Thanks 

jass1660    0

Kind of thought so. Hydraulic motors don't take much flow.

SDman    0

The dash will shut off the engine on those tractors if the hydraulic oil gets up to 225 degrees F(215 on older Magnums), so it has to get pretty hot to activate the shutdown. That's warmer than boiling water. Its hard to keep your hand on hydraulic hoses that are much over 150 degrees F temperature for very long, so I would think you would have a long way to go.