2+2 Guy

Couple of IH Prototype Buildings Still In Use

Hull Bros. in Fort Recovery, OH. Totally remodeled and modernized inside also. 

ADDCE460-7D8E-4F1D-8D8F-349F80F3664A_zps

Manchester Farm Center in North Manchester, IN

296B780D-A1DB-41D7-A8B6-5BE6E66E2068_zps

Sweet! Thanks for sharing.  You think anyone at IH ever envisioned something like the 470 sitting out front?

Those prototype buildings are really neat I think. About 3 or 4 years ago there was a thread on here about those buildings and how many are still in use. Here is a link to it.

I had a great time touring Gene's power equipment in Coleman MI last November.  

Baker Implement Company stores in Cape Girardeau and Portageville Missouri locations are the old IH Prototye buildings.  the Cape Girardeau store has been added on to over the years but you can still  make out the style. There are remnant of Prototype stores north of Chester Illinois on route 3 and also in beautiful down town Cairo, Illinois again on the north side.

Cario Ill.......Been through it a million times in high school and don't remember seeing one.   Didn't really look in the early 80s though.  There is one here in Nashville on 4th ave South, never noticed it till a month ago and was across the street and looked across the street.  Someone has painted it red and white and that caught My eye.  Not sure when it shut down as a dealer.  Didn't get a pic but google street view will show it. Corner of 4th ave S and Elm street, look North toward downtown.

Still one in Mascoutah,Illinois, the dealer built a new one about a mile out of town. Pioneer used it for several years, and now it has a beauty shop in it. There is one in Highland Illinois also, don't know what it is used for now. 

Alan

I stopped by Hull Bro's last Wednesday, really a neat store and nice folks. 

There is a storefront downtown in Fort Recovery that is marked "Hull Bro's" in the stone on the fascia, pretty sure it's their pre-Prototype building location. 

There are several of these in central Iowa.North side of Marshalltown on Hiway 14, another on Lincoln Way in Ames,Grinnell Implement on east side of Grinnell.About a mile west of the RPRU site at the fairgrounds is a large building similar to the prototype that I was told was a parts Depot for IH.It's on University Ave next to the freeway.

A question for you guys. When did IH quit the pylon/prototype building promotion? Or did they ever quit? The reason I ask is that there is one in Huron, SD that as near as I can determine was built in the 1961-62 time frame. At that time IH had a company store in Huron. Interestingly, IH sold the franchise to a guy that had another IH dealership in a town 30 miles away, who promptly moved the dealership location in Huron about 2 miles west of the pylon store in 1964-65 time frame. So this pylon building was only an IH dealership for 3-4 years at the most. It has been repurposed numerous times through the years for other businesses. For many years it was the Pepsi-Cola bottling plant. I'll see if I can find a picture of it that I can post.

I have a question. Are we talking about the IH buildings still being used as Case IH dealer buildings or are we talking about IH buildings that are still standing in general? There is one in my town that hasn't been a IH dealer for years. My Dad doesn't even remember it being a IH dealer and he's 63. My Grandpa was the only one who remembered it being a IH dealer and he's been gone 3 years this coming July. 

The building is now used by a tree and stump removal company that also runs a sawmill and sells firewood. It's notthe prettiest looking building around but it's definitely a IH building.

Sadly, the iconic IH building in Bridgeport, Nebraska is now the "reconditioning center" for the Deere "21st Century" chain of stores.

Pylon.jpg

4 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I have a question. Are we talking about the IH buildings still being used as Case IH dealer buildings or are we talking about IH buildings that are still standing in general? There is one in my town that hasn't been a IH dealer for years. My Dad doesn't even remember it being a IH dealer and he's 63. My Grandpa was the only one who remembered it being a IH dealer and he's been gone 3 years this coming July. 

The building is now used by a tree and stump removal company that also runs a sawmill and sells firewood. It's notthe prettiest looking building around but it's definitely a IH building.

Personally, I just think it's just kinda neat to find them still being used for whatever purpose. They are such an iconic design. I really think it's great to see one that is still a CIH dealership. 

There is a building still standing between Ruma and Red Bud, Illinois. It hasn't been an IH dealer for many years. When I was little, it was a grain bin and auger dealer, and now it is one of Chartrand Equipment bone yards. Some of you from the construction forum have probably done business with John.

Alan

19 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I have a question. Are we talking about the IH buildings still being used as Case IH dealer buildings or are we talking about IH buildings that are still standing in general?

I've seen pictures of a lot of the IH pylon buildings that have been re-purposed for a lot of different things. But I lived in Post, Texas for almost 10 years and didn't realize for a long time that the old IH building is now a church.

Post, Tx IH dealer.JPG

On 6/4/2017 at 2:41 PM, 2+2 Guy said:

Hull Bros. in Fort Recovery, OH. Totally remodeled and modernized inside also. 

ADDCE460-7D8E-4F1D-8D8F-349F80F3664A_zps

Manchester Farm Center in North Manchester, IN

Interesting that they still have their pylon.  Our local dealer is still in a prototype building but caseIH made them chop the pylon off in the late 90s.

It's also interesting to me the way that the latest design/layout of Wendy's restaurants bears a striking resemblance to the old IH prototype base!

Wendy's_flagship_restaurant_(Dublin,_Ohio).jpg