Brews4me

Old Intl Crawler TD???

Can someone with a TD6 tell me what is the max height of a battery I can get away with below the seat???

I measured the current 6 volt batteries and they were about 8 inches tall, i want to go with a bigger 12 volt and they measure about 9.5 inches tall.

I 'm 200 miles away and would like to double check the taller bat will go under the seat (pretty sure it's close) before I spend the cash??

thanks much

Brews,

I cant help much. When I found my TD6 it had a 12 volt battery under a crate for a seat! Someone will be along with dimensions.

Regards,

Chris

Ours still had the ply base to the seat and I don't remember any trouble getting a 12 volt battery in,

Take a big cushion just in case?

can anyone help me with an oil filter number??? 1950 TD6 4 Cyl Diesel

called all states ag parts and they don't even list that???

will look at mine first of the week as I've got to work shutdown at the plant this weekend 7/7 thru 7/9 will let you know what I find out. question does yours still have the battery tray under the seat? cannot tell by pictures I know mine has been relocated to the fender beside the seat russ 

Wix lists it as a 51155, NAPA number will be 1155

George

1 hour ago, russ said:

will look at mine first of the week as I've got to work shutdown at the plant this weekend 7/7 thru 7/9 will let you know what I find out. question does yours still have the battery tray under the seat? cannot tell by pictures I know mine has been relocated to the fender beside the seat russ 

Boy, not sure, didn't even know it came with a tray! seemed to have the tie downs so i'd say most probably.

43 minutes ago, trucker1 said:

George

thanks, i'll give that a look!

with out the tray battery's sit on top of steering linkage from what I can remember russ

this rear shot seems to show tray and linkages under

20170615_161330 (2).jpg

12 hours ago, russ said:

with out the tray battery's sit on top of steering linkage from what I can remember russ

True.  And IIRC the tray is on springs.  The top cover was steel all over with rubber pads over the 6 volt battery posts.  Which you'll have to modify for a 12 volt battery

On 7/7/2017 at 6:43 PM, trucker1 said:

George

how do you drain the oil oul of filter since it stands upright??? without draining all over side panel??

There is a plug in the base that you take out, but there is not a lot of room for something to catch the drain oil in. I think the old timers just pulled the plug and let what oil there was in there drain out on the ground. And no, I never did that, honest.

George

17 minutes ago, trucker1 said:

There is a plug in the base that you take out, but there is not a lot of room for something to catch the drain oil in. I think the old timers just pulled the plug and let what oil there was in there drain out on the ground. And no, I never did that, honest.

George

well, that would explain about half the oil on the barn floor! hahhaha

Can you make an aluminum foil spout you can tape to it below the drain plug?

I would cut the side out of an empty plastic quart oil bottle and hold it under the plug. Should be plenty of room for that, and be ready to put the plug back in, maybe have to empty it and do it twice. I doubt there would be much over a quart of oil in there, possibly 2 quarts.

George

did some measuring and using a little bit of swag came up with a height for the battery of 8 1/4" as my machine has the battery relocated to the fender as I looked further the pto linkage is in the way of the battery tray as it goes over the steering clutch linkage further cutting down on battery height. hope this helps. russ 

23 minutes ago, russ said:

did some measuring and using a little bit of swag came up with a height for the battery of 8 1/4" as my machine has the battery relocated to the fender as I looked further the pto linkage is in the way of the battery tray as it goes over the steering clutch linkage further cutting down on battery height. hope this helps. russ 

super!! I had measured the case of the old 6V batteries that came out and they were about 7 5/8 and i figured the post was about 3/4

just didn't know if there was much room between the top of post and seat. guess not, THANKS

all the big high CCA bats seem to be 9 inches tall. so will go with a smaller CCA bat.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:17 AM, sugarmaker said:

OK, finally getting back to view this! I would bet good money that this engine is NOT froze up! That machine is is way too good of condition setting in a dry shed in a dry climate! Put a good 12 volt battery in it or better yet just charge the 6 volts up. Put fresh gas in the tank (small one with cap on left front of hood) Holds about 1/2 gallon. A quart of gas is all you need to see if she will fire up. Make sure you turn on the gas petcock on the sediment bowl below the gas tank. Might be a good idea to take that sediment bowl off and clean it out. (may need a new gasket for that). That old diesel will probably still work I don't think diesel goes bad????? I never drained the diesel from mine.

That is a very sweet TD6! It is very interesting that the plastic handles have both the tops wore off! My dozer was used a lot and the handles are still complete????

Ok gas is in petcock below is on. Now pull the decompression handle (Left of the air cleaner to the down position. Gas should be flowing to the carb.

With batteries charged. (make sure that the hand clutch is forward and the shifter is in neutral. Reach down to the right of the air cleaner and pull the T handle. That should engage the starter. engine should roll over slowly (typical). Pull out choke knob. It should fire up after less than 10 seconds. If not stop and let it set for several minutes. These starters can get hot.

A good thing to have is also a Harbor freight spark tester. goes in line between spark plug. Makes sure you have sparks to the plugs.

if you dont have gas and spark its not going to start. So you need to make sure those are ok.

Oh yea the diesel lever should be towards you at this point too.

So it starts on gas. You jump up and down with joy! Let it run on gas for a good minute or more. Prior to switch over to diesel.

The diesel handle should be moved upward. Then the gas lever moved to the up position. She should stutter and start running on diesel. may have to move the diesel lever more forward. That is your engine speed control.

Jump up and down again!

Ok when you get to this point you feel that you can do about anything mechanical.

Check your gauges. Do you have oil pressure? Oh don't forget to check the water level in the rad Prior to all this too!

When I shut down I bring the diesel lever back down while bringing thwe gas lever back down too. It should stumble ad switch back to gas. I let it run for a minute or more then shut down with the key switch. and put the gas lever back up.

Hope some small portion of this helps.

I have to keep wiping the drool off the screen that is one nice straight TD6!

Regards,

Chris

Just a question??

If you look at my picts there isn't a T handle or even a slot for it???

Any ideas how this thing starts up???

20170615_161406.jpg

JIM, Get a picture of the entire dash, both sides of the air cleaner. there has to be a switch or starter button somewhere on that tractor. go to the starter and follow the wires back up to the inside of the dash. That square hole in the lower part of the dash is to allow the brake pedal adjustment to pass thru the dash. Jim.

2 minutes ago, crawlernut said:

JIM, Get a picture of the entire dash, both sides of the air cleaner. there has to be a switch or starter button somewhere on that tractor. go to the starter and follow the wires back up to the inside of the dash. That square hole in the lower part of the dash is to allow the brake pedal adjustment to pass thru the dash. Jim.

Well, that the one thing i didn't get pictured very well with the cell phone in a pretty dark little shed. Just assumed it was a normal dash but when i read the book it also state T-handle but this dash is different somehow. Could it be a foot switch???? I will try to find next time down.

take a couple of pictures of your starter and the other side of the dash also the distributor/or magneto and we'll walk you through startup procedures for your particular machine as they changed over the years but basically the same just newer component's on later years russ  

well you have the oem generator and IH magneto cannot see the starter to tell which one you have should be a push button on the dash or a T handle to the left of the light switch or a small pedal on the left side of the dash close to the left brake pedal and I've seen the push button on either side of the dash to shut down your engine while running on gas simply move the decompression lever { on the left side of dash in picture } back to up position while diesel throttle is all the way towards you {the lever in the middle around the air filter} russ

6 minutes ago, russ said:

well you have the oem generator and IH magneto cannot see the starter to tell which one you have should be a push button on the dash or a T handle to the left of the light switch or a small pedal on the left side of the dash close to the left brake pedal and I've seen the push button on either side of the dash to shut down your engine while running on gas simply move the decompression lever { on the left side of dash in picture } back to up position while diesel throttle is all the way towards you {the lever in the middle around the air filter} russ

how bout this little button on left floor???? sorry, not trying to drive you guys nuts, just don't know which pictures are relevant!

20170615_161513.jpg