Brews4me

Old Intl Crawler TD???

8 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Before you try the batteries see if you have a crank handle.  It lived just in front of the seat in the clips on the transmission.  Pull the lever on the LHS of the aircleaner (photo 4) all the way down till it locks.  That puts you on petrol cycle and low compression.  They're easy to start with the crank when all is well so  you should be able to use a single good size 12 volt battery - connected as original for earth.

By the look of the grousers the tracks haven't done much work.  There should be an engine hourmeter just in front of the magneto IIRC.

no crank handle found yet!

think the hydraulic is in the cranking spot in grill!

Boy, a 12 volt would be cheaper than (2) 6 tractor bats for sure.What would be a good size in CCA????

I'm talking about changing it after 30 minutes or so of running on the first oil change.  That is why I say to use the cheaper 30 weight.  I would then change it to a good 15w40 like Rolella for the winter.

Bigger is better on the CCA since you probably won't be charging the battery except with a charger in the barn.  You want enough to get quite a few starts in the field.

1 minute ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I'm talking about changing it after 30 minutes or so of running on the first oil change.  That is why I say to use the cheaper 30 weight.  I would then change it to a good 15w40 like Rolella for the winter.

got it!! thx

would you run a set of filters thru it also with the cheap oil than another set of new ones??

1 minute ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Bigger is better on the CCA since you probably won't be charging the battery except with a charger in the barn.  You want enough to get quite a few starts in the field.

does this thing not have a generator??

sorry, don't know this stuff too deep!

3 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

each one of those 6 volt bats were about 860 CCA, does that mean I really could use a 1920 CCA  or just as big of CCA as size allows.

Seems like the restriction would be size below the seat!

It is probably only a 6 volt system, so that won't charge a 12 volt battery.  Just good diesel 12 volt at @ 900 CCA should be fine! They shouldn't take much juice to start after you get it tuned up, but if you are out in the bush, you want to get multiple starts out of it before charging.

AS for the filters I would want to catch any chunks that might be in the old oil, so I would think a new filter may be a good idea for each change if they aren't too expensive.

2 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

It is probably only a 6 volt system, so that won't charge a 12 volt battery.  Just good diesel 12 volt at @ 900 CCA should be fine! They shouldn't take much juice to start after you get it tuned up, but if you are out in the bush, you want to get multiple starts out of it before charging.

i thought daisy chaining (2) 6 volt bats made it a 12 volt??

If they are wired in series, positive to negative you are correct.  If so it may charge assuming the generator works.

10 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

If they are wired in series, positive to negative you are correct.  If so it may charge assuming the generator works.

yes, they were wired in series.

once i take out the series connection the cables look like they should reach a single 12 volt bat

20170616_105201.jpg

20170616_105206.jpg

4 hours ago, Brews4me said:

yes, they were wired in series.

They were 12 volt from new.

Re battery size.  We don't have super cold winters here - down to maybe -10C sometimes.  Under those conditions a pair of N70ZZ Toyota Landcruiser batteries is enough to start both a FA 10 dozer and an AC 45 grader.  They're smaller in cca (around 700 ?) than an N89 from Cat which is a bit larger  in size and heavier and up to around 1000 cca IIRC.

From our experience the N70 ought to work fine in a TD 6.  Ours got by on smaller ones when it had a battery but most of its life was cranked with no gene belt.

One question - when you connect a pair of batteries in series does cca stay the same or is it additive?

26 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

They were 12 volt from new.

Re battery size.  We don't have super cold winters here - down to maybe -10C sometimes.  Under those conditions a pair of N70ZZ Toyota Landcruiser batteries is enough to start both a FA 10 dozer and an AC 45 grader.  They're smaller in cca (around 700 ?) than an N89 from Cat which is a bit larger  in size and heavier and up to around 1000 cca IIRC.

From our experience the N70 ought to work fine in a TD 6.  Ours got by on smaller ones when it had a battery but most of its life was cranked with no gene belt.

One question - when you connect a pair of batteries in series does cca stay the same or is it additive?

I called some places since this was an awesome question, they seem to think the amps stay the same for CCA when chained.

one 12 volt battery of approximately 900 to 1000 cca. [cold cranking amps] should be ok these girls are not that hard to turn over but turn slow. russ

when series batteries voltage multiplies amperage stays the same when parallel voltage stays the same and amperage multiplies by the number of batteries in this case multiplier is 2 so 2x6=12 amps remain unchanged russ

Brews,

The starter handle may have been changed over to a selinoid system with key switch starting, or push button?

Good luck.

Regards,

Chris

Sure is a clean looking TD- 6- - - - looks to have been in dry storage.

Easiest way to turn engine over is most likely via PTO shaft (as mentioned earlier).

Beware that the PTO shaft on these old crawlers turned counter clockwise (same rotation as engine).

If stuck- - - - - - I would gently rock PTO shaft back and forth by wrench by hand power - - - - - - - - - hopefully getting a little more movement with each effort.

Best not to force the issue- - - - - - turn it over by hand several times.

Keep us posted on your progress- - - - - GOOD LUCK.

DD

Here's an old pict of another International my family had in the 50's! Was used for logging.

Not sure the model but thewy should have bought the optional grill guard for sure????

scan0014.jpg

Based on looking at pictures on other T- 6 posts- - - - - - I do believe the above pictured crawler to be a gas burner.

On another thread- - - - I see the carburetor and intake for the gas engine is mounted on left side (as sitting in seat).

Anybody know when they switched from the magneto to coil ignition- - - - - - help Brew with aging this little tractor.

DD

DD

Brew,

Three things!

The tractor in the picture looks like it has most of the same features as the TD6 that I have. I believe this is a diesel machine, I can see the handle for diesel throttle above the air cleaner. Gas cap may be hidden behind the radiator cap?

Yes they had some issues in the woods. Grill guard would have helped save the grill and rad.

The third thing is: Why is my Dad driving your tractor? I showed the picture to my wife and she thought the same thing. If he had a twin this was the guy! You sure we are not related:)!

Regards,

Chris

2 minutes ago, sugarmaker said:

Brew,

Three things!

The tractor in the picture looks like it has most of the same features as the TD6 that I have. I believe this is a diesel machine, I can see the handle for diesel throttle above the air cleaner. Gas cap may be hidden behind the radiator cap?

Yes they had some issues in the woods. Grill guard would have helped save the grill and rad.

The third thing is: Why is my Dad driving your tractor? I showed the picture to my wife and she thought the same thing. If he had a twin this was the guy! You sure we are not related:)!

Regards,

Chris

Well, you can be my cousin or brother any time!!!!

4 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

Looks like the top of the fuel switch lever showing also

Hey brother!,

Yep Ian is right I see that handle sticking above the dash too. My guess is that this is about the same age as mine and could be a 52 ish machine.

Also the guy to the left looks a lot like my Uncle Jack that I got the TD6 from.

Regards,

Chris

Good eyes ya'll- - - - - I now see what looks to be the fuel switch over lever barely showing.

I stand to be corrected.

DD 

DD,

Not a problem, I am still learning about a lot of things on these. I dont know how you tell the year, except by serial number records. They made a bunch of these.

Now if I can get my hydraulics working again I will be back digging dirt!

Still not sure why my Dad is driving it!:)

Regards,

Chris