Brews4me

Old Intl Crawler TD???

JIM, Did you make it out to the new obsession this past weekend?  Curious if machine is a TD something or some other brand. 

Jim.

thanks so much for checking................

heading down this Thur for the weekend.

kinda excited and hope all works out.

got a ton of oil and penetrating oil and tools! no beer!

probably a good move on the beer but take plenty of liquids dehydration is a nasty thing russ

10 minutes ago, russ said:

probably a good move on the beer but take plenty of liquids dehydration is a nasty thing russ

good advice! CO is dry as a bone with the sun and at 8000 feet!

plug thread size is 18mm forgot the thread pitch takes 7/8" socket or offset box end wrench to remove will most likely have to order them as never were popular size and hard to find even in parts warehouses use solid copper plug wires as carbon plug wires and magnetos don't like each other makes week spark for plugs even in distributors on these girls "they are not cheep dates" but if treated decent will stand by you a long time. haven't been to Co. since about 87 beautiful country out there russ    

Hi Jim,

Good luck with your TD machine!

I seen something in a note from Russ. Is there special engine oil for diesels? If so then I screwed up and uses regular oil when I changed the TD6 oil a year ago. Hope I did not hurt anything!

Regards,

Chris

OK, back from the hills, pretty excited to have found this (turns out to be a TD6) crawler.

In awesome shape.

Still diesel in the sediment bowl, antifreeze looks kinda green, oil was at the full mark!

Will have no less than a thousand questions!

20170615_161330.jpg

Seat is even good on top and bottom

20170615_161513.jpg

20170616_103920.jpg

20170615_163455.jpg

Turns out it seems that this guy has not run in 10 years.

When i drain the old diesel where in the world does it go????

Appears the tank is 3/4 full.

Looks great and yes, they are 6v batteries.  Will the engine roll over by hand?  That's a nice looking TD6.

3 minutes ago, farmalldr said:

Looks great and yes, they are 6v batteries.  Will the engine roll over by hand?  That's a nice looking TD6.

I did not get it to roll but i don't think i was smart enuf to do it right!

I'm still trying to figure out the handles and knobs!!!!

gas tank looks clean, will flush it out.

It's in a tight space 2 miles from the corral, hahaha

will buy 2 new bats and see if it will crank, ordered a new operators manual, don't even know how to crank it. looked different than a TD9 on the ignition.

Does have a yellow blade that must operate off those hydraulic lines, still looking for parts around place and need the 4 pins for blade. 

10 hours ago, Brews4me said:

will buy 2 new bats and see if it will crank, ordered a new operators manual, don't even know how to crank it. looked different than a TD9 on the ignition.

Before you try the batteries see if you have a crank handle.  It lived just in front of the seat in the clips on the transmission.  Pull the lever on the LHS of the aircleaner (photo 4) all the way down till it locks.  That puts you on petrol cycle and low compression.  They're easy to start with the crank when all is well so  you should be able to use a single good size 12 volt battery - connected as original for earth.

By the look of the grousers the tracks haven't done much work.  There should be an engine hourmeter just in front of the magneto IIRC.

Can't hand crank it, the hydraulic pump is in that hole.

Might try turning it over using a pipe wrench on the pto shaft out the back.  Pto engaged and main clutch engaged.  This would only be to see if the engine is loose.  Have fun

Dennis

OK, finally getting back to view this! I would bet good money that this engine is NOT froze up! That machine is is way too good of condition setting in a dry shed in a dry climate! Put a good 12 volt battery in it or better yet just charge the 6 volts up. Put fresh gas in the tank (small one with cap on left front of hood) Holds about 1/2 gallon. A quart of gas is all you need to see if she will fire up. Make sure you turn on the gas petcock on the sediment bowl below the gas tank. Might be a good idea to take that sediment bowl off and clean it out. (may need a new gasket for that). That old diesel will probably still work I don't think diesel goes bad????? I never drained the diesel from mine.

That is a very sweet TD6! It is very interesting that the plastic handles have both the tops wore off! My dozer was used a lot and the handles are still complete????

Ok gas is in petcock below is on. Now pull the decompression handle (Left of the air cleaner to the down position. Gas should be flowing to the carb.

With batteries charged. (make sure that the hand clutch is forward and the shifter is in neutral. Reach down to the right of the air cleaner and pull the T handle. That should engage the starter. engine should roll over slowly (typical). Pull out choke knob. It should fire up after less than 10 seconds. If not stop and let it set for several minutes. These starters can get hot.

A good thing to have is also a Harbor freight spark tester. goes in line between spark plug. Makes sure you have sparks to the plugs.

if you dont have gas and spark its not going to start. So you need to make sure those are ok.

Oh yea the diesel lever should be towards you at this point too.

So it starts on gas. You jump up and down with joy! Let it run on gas for a good minute or more. Prior to switch over to diesel.

The diesel handle should be moved upward. Then the gas lever moved to the up position. She should stutter and start running on diesel. may have to move the diesel lever more forward. That is your engine speed control.

Jump up and down again!

Ok when you get to this point you feel that you can do about anything mechanical.

Check your gauges. Do you have oil pressure? Oh don't forget to check the water level in the rad Prior to all this too!

When I shut down I bring the diesel lever back down while bringing thwe gas lever back down too. It should stumble ad switch back to gas. I let it run for a minute or more then shut down with the key switch. and put the gas lever back up.

Hope some small portion of this helps.

I have to keep wiping the drool off the screen that is one nice straight TD6!

Regards,

Chris

I did not get a good pict of my gauge area on tractor but............................

here is another pict found on net that seems to show the starter handle, mine above does not seem to have that handle or slot???

another TD6 dash.jpg

can i use multi viscosity oil like Rotella 15 W 40 in this thing???

That looks like a really nice clean dozer!

Rotella 15w40 or straight 30 weight should be fine.  Were it mine I might go with a cheaper diesel 30 weight for the first change and then change it to better oil after running it for a little while.  Filters are available through NAPA.  Use the Wix interchange chart to find them and then drop the first digit of the Wix number for the NAPA #.

4 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

That looks like a really nice clean dozer!

Rotella 15w40 or straight 30 weight should be fine.  Were it mine I might go with a cheaper diesel 30 weight for the first change and then change it to better oil after running it for a little while.  Filters are available through NAPA.  Use the Wix interchange chart to find them and then drop the first digit of the Wix number for the NAPA #.

will 30 run in winter, not sure how much this thing will run for a while and I tend to need it more in fall and winter than hot weather??