Sign in to follow this  
FarmerFixEmUp

Nobody Did It Like Dale

Found this video of the last laps of the last win for Dale Earnhardt. That guy could drive! 

1466fan    0

Greatest ever

660 driver    0

Honestly i lost interest in nascar when they kicked out cigarette sponsors and imposed restrictor plates. Ya its safer now but its so far from its roots its unrecognizeable. IMHO nascars been dead for years. Not a moonshiner or even a run of the mill lawbreaker in sight. Thats when nascar itself still had cajones! To me dale was one of the last old school "brawler" type drivers. A major loss for the sport no doubt.

MTO    0

Never missed a race in those days and attended MANY.

Lost both of my drivers, Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki, back in those days. 

Was never a Dale fan which means nothing.

Watched those replays of his crash 100 times. 

Jeff Burton and a few others were wearing the early Hans devices and I remember an interview with Dale asking him why he didn`t wear one.

His reply doesn`t matter either but the device MIGHT have helped, maybe not. He hit that wall a TON!

I do stand by my original opinion that his crash was caused by him trying to drop and block Sterling Marlin, I think. 

It wasn`t unusual to block others but it was and still is dangerous. 

Michael Waltrip won his 1st Daytona 500 that day with Jr. on his tail.

Dale was fending off the others as he didn`t have the fast car that day and was helping Jr. imo. 

RIP Dale. He was quite the driver to watch. 

Ron Cook    0
5 hours ago, MTO said:

Jeff Burton and a few others were wearing the early Hans devices and I remember an interview with Dale asking him why he didn`t wear one.

His reply doesn`t matter either but the device MIGHT have helped, maybe not. He hit that wall a TON!

I do stand by my original opinion that his crash was caused by him trying to drop and block Sterling Marlin, I think. 

Dale was fending off the others as he didn`t have the fast car that day and was helping Jr. imo. 

Concur.

Ron

660 driver    0

Mark im calling bs! Alan kulwicki drove a ford! Granted it was the hooters ford but a ford nonetheless! All joking aside i liked alan kulwicki as well.

Reichow7120    0
16 hours ago, hanniedog said:

Lost interest in Nascar when he passed away.

13 hours ago, MTO said:

X3 on those sentiments. I watched it as I was a child growing up in the 90's. I agree it lost itself in the early 2000's. I haven't watched a race in years. I personally see the sport slowly morphing into what Indy car racing has become.

660 driver    0

^^^^^ fully agree

MTO    0
2 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Mark im calling bs! Alan kulwicki drove a ford! Granted it was the hooters ford but a ford nonetheless! All joking aside i liked alan kulwicki as well.

Davey drove a Ford also. I don`t hold it against either one of them.

MTO    0

Ron Cook    0

Earnhardt successfully committed suicide that day and I for one am glad he didn't kill anyone else.  I never did like his style of driving.  He would not have lasted a half season in open wheeled racing with that aggressive driving that all his fans called "intimidating".  That race was one of the few I watched in the last 40 years and have watched none since.  The restrictor plate has made the sport something other than racing.  I still prefer sprint cars on dirt.

Ron

MTO    0

28 drivers have died in the Nascar premier series since 1952. 14 of them at Daytona. 

Dale was the last in 2001. 

1586 Jeff    0

I always enjoyed Alan's victory laps.

I do agree with the others, stock car racing lost its appeal after Dales's crash.

You can say what you want about Dale Earnhardt but love him or hate him, he was something to watch as he could flat out drive a race car.  He put people in the grandstands, whether they were cheering for him or against him.  Racing hasn't been the same since his death.  He was old school, a good ole North Carolina country boy that made it big but still retained his love of hunting, fishing, raising cows and chickens, and running his bulldozer.  A big part of his appeal was that so many people could relate to him, unlike so many of the drivers in NASCAR today.  Yeah, I was a BIG fan of Dale Earnhardt.  I cried when he died...

Alan Dinan    0

I agree with Tri stripe, Dale could drive. Watched an interview after his funeral, several drivers were interviewed, all said the same thing. You never wanted to see that black car in your mirror because he was about to pass you!!

Alan

MTO    0

He, not unlike other drivers, ran opponents clean if he had the car BUT if opponent had a better car at the point in the race where the laps were running low, yes they feared him behind them as they ALL knew what was coming. 

The sport has become like the NFL where ,as Lambert said decades ago, the Q-backs should wear skirts.

Always felt Dale and France were tight. Saw too many events where Dale shoved his way around another car in the last laps with no repercussions but hey, Dale always said "Rubbin` is racin`"

Didn`t want to see him lose his life or even get injured but his Dad, Ralph, taught him well. 

As said above, love him or hate him,he was entertaining to watch and that`s what it`s all about. Filling seats. 

Used to love to watch the Rusty/Dale show at Bristol. Rusty was Dale`s only close competition at Bristol. As Dale was Rusty`s. 

And if you`re a diehard Earnhardt fan, don`t google "Nascar`s dirtiest drivers"

RIP Dale. I even miss him.