Wisconsinred

900 cyclo population

9 posts in this topic

Have always noticed planting corn my pop on the early riser monitor is always 1,000 or so higher than the chart says monitor seems to be correct, say I set for 22,700 I get 23,500-24 with Beans the monitor is spot on, could any shed some light on what's going on here 

Push spacing and see if all rows are the same. Could be doubles with small seed. Adjust the brush up or lower air pressure. 

I had two different 900's and a 950 and they all were just like yours.

My 900 plants 1500 to 1600 higher in corn than the chart also. My monitor is correct.

Don't know if this has anything to do with your guys' observation, but I'll throw it out there for thought. When the 1200 series planters first came out with ground drives, there were several complaints about the populations in corn being higher than what the population/transmission charts shown in the manuals. Turns out the engineering people factored in a figure of 10% wheel slippage for the ground drive tires/wheels, which was way too high. Later manuals factored in a wheel slippage rate of  just 5%, which was more accurate. Not sure if that is what is going on with your units or not; I don't ever remember any slippage factor being mentioned on the old Cyclo planters.

My 800 6 row drives off the wheels that carry the planter and It does plant slightly more than the chart says too.It has fertilizer tanks on it and 4 wheels so it's pretty well anchored to the ground.  I believe the book says 10% like SDMan says. My 950 12 row has the drums drive off wheels that don't carry the planter. They just drive the drums and insecticide boxes. I only used it 2 years before adding a Rawson hydraulic drive to it which is controlled by radar. Now it's pretty close when doing stand counts. But the monitor always shows it's planting slightly less than what it's programmed for. I was told that the high rate sensors are only able to count about 90% accuracy and it's not more off than that.