Sign in to follow this  
seant

Farmall 806D draft control leak

seant    0

Hey guys sprung a leak on my 806 where the 3 point arm attaches to the rear housing. Im fairly certain it would be the draft control bar leaking and have a couple questions before i tear into it. It's leaking on the left side as you sit on the tractor, fairly good drip every 2 to 3 seconds, noticed it after I've been using it with a small Cat I ditcher and  a 5 row creaser in relatively soft disced and planed  soil. I have heard of the torsion bar in there breaking, is this fairly obvious to detect or do you need to remove the whole unit to identify? It appears you can repair the left side o ring without complete removal, is it worth doing both or just fix one side as it leaks, am I going to ruin the new left side seal if I have to do the right side in 6 months? Also, do you need to replace the bushing in there or are you pretty safe re using the old ones? How hard is the pto unit removal if I do decide to do both? Thanks for the help  as always,

Sean

whithj    0

There is an oring on each end of the shaft.  You will need to drain the hytran and pull the pto and remove the 3 point arms off the splined draft shaft. Then reach in through the rear housing and remove the draft linkage off the draft shaft.  Then the shaft will slide out either side and should clear the tire and rim.  While you have it apart, replace both orings on the shaft, inspect the bushings but they rarely need attention.  I just did this process to my 1206 and 1066 this winter.  

pete23    0

The left side can be done without even draining the tractor.  If you go to get new o rings, the parts book has always been messed up on those cat 2 hitch's and shows the second o ring on the right side but it is actually on left.  Two o rings on left side.  If grooves are worn in parts o rings might not last too long.  If you want to do right side , then you have to take pto out and torsion bar out.   It is the category 3 that you have to take shaft out    for both sides.

seant    0

Thanks for the response, what is it that is attached to the pto unit that I remove the whole unit for? Is it possible to pull the top link plate of and access the draft control link through there? Thanks again!

65806    0

You have to pull PTO to get to the draft arm u bolt that attaches it to tortion tube. 

the PTO is easy to remove . 

I would drain oil, remove PTO and take the tortion tube all the way out. That way you can clean the entire housing out good and re seal both sides. Do it right and it will last another 50 years. 

pete23    0

Well, it's your tractor so of course you can do it either way you like.  For me, I would replace the seals on left side as it is super easy and if it still leaks, you will be needing to find different parts that aren't worn.  If you pull whole thing right away and it still leaks, then you get to take every thing apart again and find  different parts anyway.