Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianB

Considering buying 7140 Magnum; questions

17 posts in this topic

I looked at a 7140 magnum for sale recently, am interested but have a few questions. This thing has 12000 hours, but seems to work/shift good, brakes, pto etc. The rear couplers leak bad at the base when uncoupling. I can get rebuild kits with new shells but is there anything else it might need? Has a leak in the hydraulic valve bank in front of the rear right tire, exhaust leaks past the turbo and also near engine side panels, hood and door gas shocks need to be replaced. Tires are quite dry rotted/weather cracked (20.8-42 and 16.9-30), tractor has been repainted at some point but had runs, air seat doesn't work, cab a bit rough etc. Also engine shut down on me saying low engine oil pressure, but seller says its just low voltage and the system wasn't working properly (but the voltage bar was half way up and no low voltage alarms). Is this a common thing or should I be more concerned about the engine oil pressure? It Did it after warming up for 20 minutes. Very little blowby from breather though. Also fan belt squeals bad and water pump bearing is gone, needs new pump. Lights dont all work, needs some overall tlc. So my main question, is this thing worth $26,000? Rubber isnt cheap and i priced 8 coupler kits at $170 each. Just wondering if there is anything i should be concerned about with 12000 hrs? Front hubs are dry and it has the newer 4 speed reverse transmission. (looking at older threads on magnums and seals being a weakness) Thanks in advance

Turn around and run like the devil!! Seriously that thing is worth about $10,000 in my books. It will break you unless you have the facility to do it yourself.

Oh boy, yes run!!! Like George 2 said, it's a $10000 tractor at best

Where is that tractor located, that would be a big help and who may have run it up to the 12000 hours.   Sounds rode hard and put away wet, but in this case "dry". 

Matt

It is certainly worth more than 10 in parts. Sounds like it needs an overhaul but just the MFD front axle I would think is worth 5 grand. Door shell is worth 500+ if just repairable. Etc

Seriously think some of you guys on here must be from Mars................It may not be worth $26,000, I agree, but $10,000 for a MFD Magnum is an extreme stretch in my mind.  Like Bitty said, price the parts and you are over 10,000.  And honestly, nobody who can't work on it themselves would even consider buying it with 12K on the meter so that shoots that right in the foot.  Its on 42's, a plus IMO.  Any weights on it?  4 speed reverse is a plus. Duals?  Dual PTO?

I was in the low 20's on a 7130 I bought a few years back.  That was nearing in on 12,000 hrs.  It had duals, full rack of weights, quick hitch, but was on 38's(down side IMO).  Spent a bit over $1200 on it and ran it.............old thing would run the like the dickens although I sure wish it had the intercooler on it like the 40's.  When I was done with it, stripped the duals, quick hitch, and weights off of it and sold it for more than I paid for it.  I sure would love to find these mysterious $10,000 box car magnums with MFD axles under them.  I am not doubting they are out there, but I am sure if they are, their isn't much left of cab glass or interior, and most of the body panels are missing.  I got a broker in the south send me some dandies that are for sale, and those are still priced higher than $10,000.  One a few months back I would have bought for $18,000 but they wanted $20,000..........Told them if 18,000 made them happy I would do it, well someone gave them 20k for it.  

A reconditioned front axle was 25K in the parts flyers ten years ago

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Seriously think some of you guys on here must be from Mars................It may not be worth $26,000, I agree, but $10,000 for a MFD Magnum is an extreme stretch in my mind.  Like Bitty said, price the parts and you are over 10,000.  And honestly, nobody who can't work on it themselves would even consider buying it with 12K on the meter so that shoots that right in the foot.  Its on 42's, a plus IMO.  Any weights on it?  4 speed reverse is a plus. Duals?  Dual PTO?

I was in the low 20's on a 7130 I bought a few years back.  That was nearing in on 12,000 hrs.  It had duals, full rack of weights, quick hitch, but was on 38's(down side IMO).  Spent a bit over $1200 on it and ran it.............old thing would run the like the dickens although I sure wish it had the intercooler on it like the 40's.  When I was done with it, stripped the duals, quick hitch, and weights off of it and sold it for more than I paid for it.  I sure would love to find these mysterious $10,000 box car magnums with MFD axles under them.  I am not doubting they are out there, but I am sure if they are, their isn't much left of cab glass or interior, and most of the body panels are missing.  I got a broker in the south send me some dandies that are for sale, and those are still priced higher than $10,000.  One a few months back I would have bought for $18,000 but they wanted $20,000..........Told them if 18,000 made them happy I would do it, well someone gave them 20k for it.  

Besides the oil psi I dont get why everyone is scared of it.  170 per hole for remotes......for 30 more years...cab kit is like 300...smoke leak by hood is normal for 12k...struts are worth it and yeah be like 300 for all 3....tires, 2000/ for that size firestones [just got set]....$26000.  Not too bad.  I bet he'd take $18000.  I would mainly rec you get a manual gauge for the oil psi before buying.  Go for 17500....if you get it for 22000 you'll be fine IMO.  Flip it for 35000 after the refresh!  Inland here a online auction had 8 71xx rigs.  Lowest hr 7140 had 8800 highest 7130 had 13000.  All had recent repaints, 50% or better tires, 1 was 2 wd 7110,  6 were 2sp R with black air box cabs.  Avg price for online auction...$26000.

I m with Tyler.  I havnt seen a USE able MFD Magnum for under $20000 ever.    

Thanks for the input guys.

I don't really NEED this tractor, but is one of those tractors ive always wanted (being a well know tough tractor) and thought it may be a fixer upper to flip and use for a few years in the meantime to haul a dump trailer and some tillage too. So the only thing that would still concern me is the low oil pressure after it was warmed up. Maybe it is an electrical glitch, when it shut down on me and i restarted the pressure light was off and worked fine. Besides a worn oil pump is there any other reason why there would be low oil pressure? Tractor is 2 hours away, but If I look at it again, ill hook in a gauge and see for sure what its showing.

Also I should clarify when I said the front hubs were dry, I was meaning no leaking seals or evidence of it (updated front hubs I believe), I assume there was still oil in the hubs. Ill try to post a few pictures of it. 

BTW, just has large 1000pto, no duals with it (sold seperatly)

Tires look good here but are pretty beat up and have some good tears on the inner sidewalls. 

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

8 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I just passed a 7230 8000hrs duals weights needed paint and cab kit in a bad way tires 50-75% 15700  that to much by time I painted it did detail I wouldn't get out from under it I agree they are worth more as parts

Now that you have pictures it doesn't look as bad as I imagined from the description. To say it was worth $15000 I would have to see it in person. So somewhere between $10000 and $15000 depending on the accurateness of the description. The second thing is the responses from the fellows in Pennsylvania. From my experience Pennsylvania has some of the highest prices for used tractors anywhere. I know there are lots of buyers from Pennsylvania at Ontario consignment auctions and talking to a few of the fellows from PA they indicated our prices were reasonable for them. That is good for us in that there is a market for used equipment without resorting to shipping containers overseas. Several of the jockeys send a lot of smaller equipment every two months to Chalkers just across the border in Ohio.  

1 hour ago, Thesd5488 said:

I just passed a 7230 8000hrs duals weights needed paint and cab kit in a bad way tires 50-75% 15700  that to much by time I painted it did detail I wouldn't get out from under it I agree they are worth more as parts

Can you get the # of seller?  That is a perfect tractor for mixer box.  Paint n cab is like $3000 and with that SUPER LOW hours.  If you use it for farming to boot you'd put 5000 more hours on and get the same you paid.  My 7140 I got with 10000 hr is worth same or more with 13000 now.  All I have done is wash n service.  The sale I mentioned above I had a bid of $15000 on 1 of the 12000 hr 7130s.  Went for 27000.  Man if you need a tractor you are mistaken to pass on that deal.  Find one for that on TH

George, PLEASE send me some links to these going for under $15000.  There was a 2wd early 7110 with 7000 on it on CL about 3 hr south on the coast last month.  Guy only wanted $17000...we just bought a big Claas rake so my play money was gone but 2 or 3 farms were going to go see it but it sold in days.  If I had not of bought that rake a week before I would of got in my truck with a check and bought it.

Where you often find the cheap ones is on Craigs List or on Kijiji here in Canada. You will never find them on Tractorhouse. Those are the expensive ones. What I have seen is that the distressed ones get dumped by their owners since they don't know how to fix them, and the $100 per hour plus service rates are too daunting for their finances. These are the ones that if you have your own service shop, you can do well with. Especially if you are smart enough to realize the unit has been misdiagnosed with worse problems than it really has. An example in point. My 656 gas was running horribly and fouling plugs and I was told it needed an overhaul. Even I was beginning to believe that. Then I saw the discussion on RPM about 87 octane gasoline causing one man's 706 to run rough. On a whim I drained the fuel tank of the 87 octane gas and poured in the super hi test 91 (R+M/2) octane stuff and put it on the stone picker this spring. The difference was amazing. The tractor purrs like a kitten now and doesn't foul the plugs any more and that is over 30 hours of stone picking. And that 91 octane is what is called for in the operators manual. Like I said earlier, distressed tractors can  sometimes be an opportunity if you have carefully looked it over and know exactly what you have and what has to be done, but shooting in the dark and but buying them over the internet is a recipe for disaster.  Been there and done that. Once bitten twice shy and that is why I discount them heavily if you haven't seen the unit and operated it enough to be reasonably certain of the unit's material condition. And believe me I have been involved with a multi billion dollar industrial project that went that way. Two nuclear units that were supposed to cost $1.5 Billion to fix ended up costing $4.7 billion to fix. They are operating today but there was a lot of soul searching by the owners as we continued to pour money into a constantly increasing scope project. Just my experience.       

Ask yourself this: If you fix the known problems for the price you expect, will you have a tractor that you like well enough to justify an extra $10,000 repair if it comes up? An engine or transmission problem could come up on even the best cared for tractor at those hours.

I cover pretty much every state east of Colorado on craiglist looking for deals as I know a guy who can backhaul things very cheap if he is out there.  I never see anything of any quality under $20,000 with an MFD under it.  Most are whooped 2wd small magnums(10 and 20's) and they are stripped of anything that is essential to operation.  Like I said, have seen a few that broker has sent me from the south that were close, and the one I would have bought had it went under 20k, but even those are all around 20k with an MFD axle.