brahamfireman

800 vs 900 cyclo population charts.

I have an 800 8-30 with a 900 operators manual. Found a big  problem Monday, with the 240 hole drum fold out chart in my 900 manual. Sprockets with planter are numbered for half the teeth like what a 20-40 chain would be, chart on planter box is same, half numbers for 20-40 chain. BUT chart in book is for all the teeth straight 40 chain. So I halved all the book sprocket numbers and set it for 140K. Put 7 bags in, did 7.5 acres, took 5.5 bags back out....

So after some looking and figuring I changed the trans sprockets to what the chart on the planter box says for 140K. Did another 7 acres and took 2 bags back out so it's still planting light. Thinking the wheel was skipping due to down pressure being set for Max pressure, but that's another story.

So is my chart in the operators manual wrong, did something change from the 800 to the 900? I thought they were all the same?

44 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I have an 800 8-30 with a 900 operators manual. Found a big  problem Monday, with the 240 hole drum fold out chart in my 900 manual. Sprockets with planter are numbered for half the teeth like what a 20-40 chain would be, chart on planter box is same, half numbers for 20-40 chain. BUT chart in book is for all the teeth straight 40 chain. So I halved all the book sprocket numbers and set it for 140K. Put 7 bags in, did 7.5 acres, took 5.5 bags back out....

So after some looking and figuring I changed the trans sprockets to what the chart on the planter box says for 140K. Did another 7 acres and took 2 bags back out so it's still planting light. Thinking the wheel was skipping due to down pressure being set for Max pressure, but that's another story.

So is my chart in the operators manual wrong, did something change from the 800 to the 900? I thought they were all the same?

Make sure your lids and gasket seal. We always fought that on our wore out 800 they seed light then also more than likely in your gears though.

Holds 10oz of air once we got the firewall shimmed out correctly, which was another 3 hours lost before the rain....danged new equipment.

Not being a smarta$$...but are you sure you are using the right chart?  I don't have a 800 or 900, but I do run a old 500 seed hopper on a JD 7000 running unit for planting beans.  During the build, I had cause to study the gearing and charts extensively!   Never heard of a 240 hole drum for soybeans...maybe that's a 800-900 thing?   On the 500, you take the chart for a 24 hole corn drum and multiply by 6 to get the rate for the 144 hole bean drum.   So for 140,000 ppa, you use the gears for 24,000 ppa on a 24 hole drum.    Again--the 800-900 may be different--but I would definitely check your drum for # of holes.

Its all just ratios...the drum size is the same for all drums, 1 rotation of the drum is going to be the same for the same gearing.   Just figure # of holes around the outside.   Compare to charts for other drums with other hole patterns and ratio things out.  That will give you a cross-check.   You were correct about the gears--x2 for #40.

As far as other things, I only run 3-4 oz of air pressure for beans-otherwise I find them blowing out of the seed trench.  Beans plant easy with one of these--never had any problem even with leaky gaskets.   Make sure you have your seed brush tied down for beans--that can really cut rate.  Drive and check that your chains are not jumping.  Don't exceed recommended planting speed...carry over can cut your seeding rate down fast!  Other than that, very little can go wrong to make things that far out.

BTW--if I set my 500 drum for 140,000 ppa, It plants 140,000 ppa....so much better than seed cups or brush meters or....

5 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Not being a smarta$$...but are you sure you are using the right chart?  I don't have a 800 or 900, but I do run a old 500 seed hopper on a JD 7000 running unit for planting beans.  During the build, I had cause to study the gearing and charts extensively!   Never heard of a 240 hole drum for soybeans...maybe that's a 800-900 thing?   On the 500, you take the chart for a 24 hole corn drum and multiply by 6 to get the rate for the 144 hole bean drum.   So for 140,000 ppa, you use the gears for 24,000 ppa on a 24 hole drum.    Again--the 800-900 may be different--but I would definitely check your drum for # of holes.

Its all just ratios...the drum size is the same for all drums, 1 rotation of the drum is going to be the same for the same gearing.   Just figure # of holes around the outside.   Compare to charts for other drums with other hole patterns and ratio things out.  That will give you a cross-check.   You were correct about the gears--x2 for #40.

As far as other things, I only run 3-4 oz of air pressure for beans-otherwise I find them blowing out of the seed trench.  Beans plant easy with one of these--never had any problem even with leaky gaskets.   Make sure you have your seed brush tied down for beans--that can really cut rate.  Drive and check that your chains are not jumping.  Don't exceed recommended planting speed...carry over can cut your seeding rate down fast!  Other than that, very little can go wrong to make things that far out.

BTW--if I set my 500 drum for 140,000 ppa, It plants 140,000 ppa....so much better than seed cups or brush meters or....

Dad has a 500 he bought new in 81. A 8 row 3 pt. it is worn out bad from planting sunflowers and a little corn. Never worried about it planting or seed coming out of hopper. The 800 that was worn out we bought to replace it was a nightmare as far as worrying about seed coming out of hopper. It got to be with sunflowers or corn I would only put 2 bags at a time in and always make sure it seeded right by counting rows. In its defense a new tank would have helped it would hold pressure also but the flatter tank bottoms on the 800 and newer always seemed to me like a step back. Our neighbor bought a nearly new 800 after dad bought his 500 and from 83 on he griped about seed flow into drum. He finally caulked the seams of the tank and that helped but the best day of his life was when he sold it at his auction. We have our 800 hooked to the tractor hydraulic so fan turns okay. If I would still be using the 800 I would mount a camera onto the drum just to know it is staying full of seed and they are dropping out right.

Yep, 240 hole drum, basically 2 rows of 120 staggered to hit 1 release wheel. Used it last year on my 500.

The 800 has a multiplication factor for each drum other then 36, it's right there on the side of the machine. so for my 240 hole it says to multiply chart population by 4.67. The 900 book has a fold out chart for all drums, 240 included. When using that chart the sprockets are way different then using the 800 chart with the multipler.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed, is the 900 chart wrong, or are the 800 transmissions different then 900's?