Sign in to follow this  
nativewolf

Older Magnum buyer advice

nativewolf    0

Hi, new member here.  I'm looking to purchase/lease/rent an older Magnum.

I've spent the last 20 years away from land management and would like to get back to that, actually I'm a forester by training.  Not getting younger.   One thing that interest me is putting abandoned farm land back into production or to correct the problems of badly degraded forest.  To that end I've been researching tractors with over 200hp and a strong 3pt (equipment will weight 10500lbs) and quickly settled on an older Magnum (7140/50 and 7240/50).  Price is a bit of an issue, I won't be getting rich doing this work but as long as I don't end up at the repair shop in the first 2 months I'll be ok.  I'm looking to rent/lease/buy and am located in North West VA, not really big tractor country.  

So I'm looking for advice on what to look for when inspecting an older Magnum?  Any and all insight is greatly appreciated!

hagan    0

look for a good 7140 a lot of bang for the buck. I have 3 older magnums and love them.  Purchased 1 new a 2 wd 7210 and then a used 7110 MFWD at Wattstractor.com in Anson TX and the 7140 MFWD from a case IH dealer 70 miles away and the tractor i purchased from Watts tractor has actually been the best of the 2   

bitty    0

We have a 7140, a 7240,  7250 , a pair of 7250 pro-european tractors , and an 8950 and also an MX 270 they are all excellent tractors

nativewolf    0

Bitty- I was wondering about importing from Europe.  Did you use a broker? Or how did you buy them?  Seems they are at a bit of a discount and due to age they don't need emissions EPA cert.

All- Anything to look out for?  I see some cautioning to look for later models due to some improvements made in 1990 or so?  Anything else?

George 2    0

The best are the 7200 series or the 7100 series above S/N JJA0044500 (mid 1992). These 7100's have virtually all of the updates the 7200 series have except for the outside electric 3 point hitch controls.  

bitty    0
8 hours ago, nativewolf said:

Bitty- I was wondering about importing from Europe.  Did you use a broker? Or how did you buy them?  Seems they are at a bit of a discount and due to age they don't need emissions EPA cert.

All- Anything to look out for?  I see some cautioning to look for later models due to some improvements made in 1990 or so?  Anything else?

We have only bought (3) through  brokers so far.

Although we just tried to buy a tractor but unfortunately it sold a little too quick for us to get it . Wee are going to have the broker that we know of get one in for us and we were going to give them a little cut and then we were going to do all the necessary repairs if it needed. Pennies on the dollar compared to some of the ones on the market. 

It was a MX 200 for just over 16K USD. Would have been around 21K to the farm. We will be looking for one when we get in the market again

nativewolf    0
17 hours ago, bitty said:

We have only bought (3) through  brokers so far.

Although we just tried to buy a tractor but unfortunately it sold a little too quick for us to get it . Wee are going to have the broker that we know of get one in for us and we were going to give them a little cut and then we were going to do all the necessary repairs if it needed. Pennies on the dollar compared to some of the ones on the market. 

It was a MX 200 for just over 16K USD. Would have been around 21K to the farm. We will be looking for one when we get in the market again

Thanks...that is what I was thinking.  So, do you have issues with the mx and EPA cert for the engine?