Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bitty

Performance chips

36 posts in this topic

We would like to see about getting a chip for both our MX 270 and a McCormick MTX?140 . Who makes a good product for these ?

Guy who uses to haul manaur with a MX 255 had a chip and I remember him saying that he saved fuel and had more power

Locally guys use Bullydog performance and are happy

The 140....it isnt mechanical?  Its a Iveco correct?  My 135 mc is a perkins.  Kinda doggy.  My mtx120 is a iveco...brute for little motor.  All mechanical vs electronic.  I like the 135 how it is though.  Not real torquey but quick and nimble for loader stuff.  Friend has a mtx 120 hw set to 160 for McHale baler...happy with it.  The 270 is not enough for the task?  Trying to crack motor to trans mounts?  You may wanna call me about that......

you might want to look into a company called eko tuning. They do actual dyno results onsite and custom build a tune to suit your needs. Guy I used to know in school does it here locally and says it works well. Don't have any first had experience with it aside from what he's told me. 

I run a Steinbauer on my Mx 275 and get along good with it spendy new bought mine used for 900 I would'nt say it saves any fuel per hour but fuel per acre would be less cause we can get more done in less time . But I dont feel that we work it hard and my muffler is starting to turn from black to white so she's making some heat going to put a pyrometer on it before ripping this fall

Had my MX240 Ecotuned and would recommend it for the 8.3 with CAPS fuel system. The performance chips like to play with the fuel pressures and the CAPS system doesn't like that leading to premature pump failure. Cost me $1700 cdn. If your having two done at the same time you'll likely get a discount since travel time would be less. My tune gained me 80 horse and so far no worse fuel usage but as stated you seem to get more work done in same length of time  

John

Have to be careful chiping a tractor and taking it to a dealership.Last I was told in service school was if the dealer finds it and doesn't report it the dealer gets a 50000 dollar fine than the EPA goes after the customer also.

13 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

you might want to look into a company called eko tuning. They do actual dyno results onsite and custom build a tune to suit your needs. Guy I used to know in school does it here locally and says it works well. Don't have any first had experience with it aside from what he's told me. 

Local Hutterite colony has eco tuned all their JD 4x4s and the sprayer and they swear by them.  They tried chips before that and they invitiably led to the engines not running right.

You can try Calibrated Power Solutions. They do custom tuning on tractors. 

11 hours ago, HTS1206 said:

I run a Steinbauer on my Mx 275 and get along good with it spendy new bought mine used for 900 I would'nt say it saves any fuel per hour but fuel per acre would be less cause we can get more done in less time . But I dont feel that we work it hard and my muffler is starting to turn from black to white so she's making some heat going to put a pyrometer on it before ripping this fall

Stienbauer is the only performance mod I found that does NOT increase your fuel pressure to make more power.  It only lengthens the injection pulse.  All the others I looked at trick the computer into raising pressure, which can screw up the CAPS system or blow the tip off an injector.  I've been running a stienbauer on my mx240 for over five years, quite pleased with it.  I get more work done faster with less fuel for sure

How's your engine temp. Been working my MX240 with Eco tune and my engine temp now runs 200-208 compared to 188-190

John 

5 hours ago, 756puller said:

Have to be careful chiping a tractor and taking it to a dealership.Last I was told in service school was if the dealer finds it and doesn't report it the dealer gets a 50000 dollar fine than the EPA goes after the customer also.

No matter what emissions tier ? These are early ones

Here in Michigan the dealer hasn't said anything bad about my stienbauer module.  When she's really working it will get over 200, no overheating issues.

Good to know just lost the tranny in my 5488 and the MX240 now has to carry the whole load so I was a bit worried. Son says temp is in the 190's when casually working and goes to 200's in a hard pull. Seems all is good. 

Thanks, John 

23 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Locally guys use Bullydog performance and are happy

The 140....it isnt mechanical?  Its a Iveco correct?  My 135 mc is a perkins.  Kinda doggy.  My mtx120 is a iveco...brute for little motor.  All mechanical vs electronic.  I like the 135 how it is though.  Not real torquey but quick and nimble for loader stuff.  Friend has a mtx 120 hw set to 160 for McHale baler...happy with it.  The 270 is not enough for the task?  Trying to crack motor to trans mounts?  You may wanna call me about that......

Perkins in the 140. It could use some juice, the 27 mph road speed gets pretty slow on the hills.

We have a 5.9 Cummins in the Dodge truck currently trying to sell that we will most likely keep in case we can shoehorn it in the McCormick.......

And the 270 just seems to lack the throttle response like the 8950 has

:)

7 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Stienbauer is the only performance mod I found that does NOT increase your fuel pressure to make more power.  It only lengthens the injection pulse.  All the others I looked at trick the computer into raising pressure, which can screw up the CAPS system or blow the tip off an injector.  I've been running a stienbauer on my mx240 for over five years, quite pleased with it.  I get more work done faster with less fuel for sure

Don't know about the company but I know dodge cummins don't increase pressure just duration of injection you can use more torque which is what gets you going and gear up throttle back to save on fuel    If you use it the same as what you do now it will burn less if rpm s are cut back a little to make up for more power if you push it might burn the same be Leary of ones that alter time ing to much you can gald a piston from running to lean 

55 minutes ago, bitty said:

Perkins in the 140. It could use some juice, the 27 mph road speed gets pretty slow on the hills.

We have a 5.9 Cummins in the Dodge truck currently trying to sell that we will most likely keep in case we can shoehorn it in the McCormick.......

And the 270 just seems to lack the throttle response like the 8950 has

:)

OK, yes my mc135 does the same thing, no low end umph.  5.9...you are a man with more free time than I.  The PO of mine goes to my church, has baling biz.  He traded it for same reason.  Goes fast but on grades with loads just cant keep up.  He had lift pump and fuel pump replaced on warranty even.  No change.  Let me know how a tune goes, be interested.  The MTX120 with Iveco is SLOW but never needs down shifting.  The MTX125 we had had a Iveco and it was good tractor.    

As far as I know any electronic engine that case/fiat has produced.

On 5/17/2017 at 9:46 PM, bitty said:

like to see about getting a chip

Head shakin' mode, counted close to 20 responses on here, most seem :rolleyes: to be claiming to be smarter than the manufacturer's engineers.

best, randy

Not smarter.....

1 hour ago, Randy Sohn said:

Head shakin' mode, counted close to 20 responses on here, most seem :rolleyes: to be claiming to be smarter than the manufacturer's engineers.

best, randy

Different scenario....doing work vs appeasing the authorities. ;)

3 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

best, randy

So true, and that is what made websites like TheDieselStop.stoopid, which has to be one of the most stupid sites on the Interweb, so fking entertaining. It was once called FordDieselStop.com, UNTIL Ford forced them to stop using their name, but now, as it was then, it was home to High School Harrys, wanna-bee truck drivers, and idiots who had ruined their vehicle by modifying it, and were mad because Ford would NOT honor the warranty, yet you had the administrators, who, if they were not shifty-eyed salesmen, or shilling for add on after market products, telling the idiot how to remove the offending aftermarket product and then tell the dealership that the vehicle had never been modified.

I remember them once having a discussion, that ran into multiple pages on the proper way to check the air pressure in a tire, which offered, among other things, the best position for the valve stem to be, before checking.

In 99 out of 100 cases the aftermarket CANNOT have the resources available to the OEM, yet we are supposed to believe their snake-oil, just because their product is touted by some idiotic off-road, diesel power magazine, or website, in return for free advertising.

So am I to believe that anyone who has modified their own machine to suit their needs believes they're smarter than the manufacturers?  I think it's part of the American spirit, to tinker and make changes in pursuit of better performance.  Farmers have been doing it since tractors came on the scene. What's the difference between an MX240 and a MX270?  Same hardware, different programming.  Finding out what's worked well for other farmers is only good sense, seeing how much these mods can cost.

Maybe I should not  even comment  as I have no experience  with "chips" other  than  the kind  you eat. But I can't get over the idea that chipping an engine is short term gain for long term pain. Maybe  like a shot of meth  to keep yourself awake while  driving all hours overtime? 

its not necisaraly smarter then the engineers but more so defeating some of the emission requirments that those engineers have to meet. Also a lot of the newer tractors are essentially the same components just upgraded hp with little differences here and there.  This isnt exactly a new practice used to be guys would turn the fuel screw up and hope for the best. Most never even put a pyrometer gauge in. Now you just hook up a laptop and you have all that information at your fingertips live. There are definite gains to be made whether it be in your pick up truck or tractor.  I don't profess to be a expert on these matters either but I do believe in some of it.  I personally like the more in depth custom tunes that can be done today rather then hooking up a little black box that is a universal upgrade. My truck is tuned with efi live just for the emissions. I could've gotten more hp and a exhaust brake but decided to keep it as close to stock as I could. 

14 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

What's the difference between an MX240 and a MX270?  Same hardware, different programming.  

And statements like that are what gets people in trouble and support Randy Sohn's comment. Hate to tell you, but 240s and 270s have some different drive train components. I know what some of them are from experience. I'll let you swim around in the parts book and see if you can find them.

4 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

its not necisaraly smarter then the engineers but more so defeating some of the emission requirments that those engineers have to meet. Also a lot of the newer tractors are essentially the same components just upgraded hp with little differences here and there.  This isnt exactly a new practice used to be guys would turn the fuel screw up and hope for the best. Most never even put a pyrometer gauge in. Now you just hook up a laptop and you have all that information at your fingertips live. There are definite gains to be made whether it be in your pick up truck or tractor.  I don't profess to be a expert on these matters either but I do believe in some of it.  I personally like the more in depth custom tunes that can be done today rather then hooking up a little black box that is a universal upgrade. My truck is tuned with efi live just for the emissions. I could've gotten more hp and a exhaust brake but decided to keep it as close to stock as I could. 

Different world but my pickup is chipped

This is some of the parameters the Bluetooth on the phone measure

Screenshot_2017-05-20-08-46-16_zpsqfzlbc

15 Different things to watch.