Sign in to follow this  
1466fan

Hay Time

1466fan    0

Got started haying today. Test run on 20 acres. Like to start on a test patch before I start cutting everything down.

20170513_145241-720x1280.jpg

brewcrew    0

What is it you are testing? Maturity? Yield?

Guys have started chopping winter rye in SW WI, but first crop hay should be a week or ten days.

jass1660    0
24 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

What is it you are testing? Maturity? Yield?

Guys have started chopping winter rye in SW WI, but first crop hay should be a week or ten days.

I think he is testing his equipment out

1466fan    0

Equipment. Like to have a little test run before I just cut everything down.

Everything is good except we need more pictures ;)

1466fan    0

I'll try to get some more pics when I start baling. Just figured out  how to put them on from my phone last night. Might try to keep the rake tractor out. It doesn't match the others. 

Hooked up and greased the 1300 balanced head to the 706 last night.  After everything was ready, I couldn't just let it sit there.  So at 10:00 last night, I started.  Mowed about 4 acres of good orchardgrass as a test run.  Thick hay, dew had fallen.  The 1300 ate it up!  Tell me a good sickle machine won't mow!

1466fan    0
21 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Yep MORE pictures please!

More pics. Ready to bale tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be about perfect to bale. 

20170515_174510-1280x720.jpg

Wise choice baling with cab and mowing on open station nothing better before it gets hot and humid 

TroyDairy    0

Do most of you guys wait till grass heads some to cut?  Here that field would be considered "junk" for beef cows and dry cows.  But if you feed only beef then makes sense!  We xut late april early may then we cut 29 day cycles  5 to 7 times after 1st.  This year maybe 5.  Wet wet wet

rcb    0

For us, we get about 3 cuts. I should have cut this past weekend, but now we are getting more rain this weekend. It's so swampy I wanted to let it dry out some, but now with more rain slated for this weekend, I'll have to hold off. Simply won't have time to dry. Normally late may is 1st cut, mid July and then September as weather allows. The past 3 years have been crazy wet for us. It just hasn't gotten hot/dry enough to dry out. Last year the 1st cutting was still too damp when we bailed but rain put our back against the wall so it was what it was.

1466fan    0
1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Do most of you guys wait till grass heads some to cut?  Here that field would be considered "junk" for beef cows and dry cows.  But if you feed only beef then makes sense!  We xut late april early may then we cut 29 day cycles  5 to 7 times after 1st.  This year maybe 5.  Wet wet wet

Feeding beef cattle. Other than one dairy farm up the road I'm about the first person around to cut anything. The dairy guys mostly chop. Few guys using silage bales. This is actually kind of early around here for dry hay. Years back when we were still milking would have tried to have alfalfa up by now. As some of you guys were talking about here a while back,most of the dairy farms here are gone so most hay is for beef. Just about every farm here has a dairy Barn that just gets used to store stuff now.

We try to put up the first cutting as early as weather will allow it to cure.  Ideally, that would be before orchardgrass or fescue head out.  However, weather being what it is in TN, we usually don't get good curing weather until its headed out good.  This is round bales for beef cattle and small squares to sale to horse people.  Around here, folks who want quality forage for cattle are going to wrapping the bales for haylage so they can cut about a month earlier.

iowaboy1965    0

Dad always said cut alfalfa when 1/3 is starting to bloom, what i always try to do....

1466fan    0

Done for today. Everything ran good. Wait for next break in weather then hit it hard. Think the a.c. may need a recharge but everything else was good. Headed to the shop,machine shed,EQUIPMENT Barn. Whatever you call it in your neck of the woods. Grease it up and get ready for next time. I know. The tractor has White wheels on it. Set off of another tractor I've got that got stuck on this one. Have no idea why they got painted White. 

20170516_153811-1280x720.jpg