421malibu

800 cyclo accuracy

all new soil contact parts metal and rubber, air press a little above 10 , medium round seed , thinking pop on 31800 , speed a little under 6 mph , 800 4 row behind 1086 , first time this planter doing corn , by chart spacing should be 7" it will plant near perfect then skip 3 or 4 then plant 4" apart for 10 seeds then back to 7" this is random between all rows , last year was first year on this planter and planted beans and was spot on , the chains look a little rusty but all links are free , did notice had GF going really slow like under 1 mph while I walked watching the drum jerks a little , but at speed it is smooth (that would pick on all rows at same time ?) cutoff tires are soft and centered and had brush down , thanks guys ,,,,, Greg

Thought brush is suppose to be up for corn wired down for beans? 

You can put small strips of rubber on the drum between the dimples to smooth out the drums rotation. Seven ounces is a little better than ten, less seed bounce in trench, and would recommend seed firmers.                                           Alan 

And I only run 4.5 miles mph also!

Yes the brush is up for corn, wired down for beans.  Make sure that your seed level is high enough in the seed drum.  I had trouble with my 950 not planting right because I didn't have enough seed in the drum.

At that population and speed the drum is probably turning too fast, I think 36 RPM is recommended top speed

about 4 inches in drum , brush was released , book or chart said under 7 mph ? we had a new 800 10 years ago and it never seemed to be bothered by speed no till or tilled soil

Sounds like you have everything like it should be, maybe it is the speed of the drum as bkorth  said.

Speed never hurt our planting with the 955. 35,200 population

Shouldn't have more than 2" seed in drum extra seed weighing it down not letting it tirn smooth enough. 

I've been planting some at 36000 at 5.3 MPH. 

You do have a 36 hole drum and not a 24, right? 

Speed should not matter, I plant 6.5 at 32,000 and have no issue. Pressure may be a little high. Always run the seed about 4 in. deep in mine too, can't drive 6.5 if it is too shallow.

Gee, I thought I was going too fast! :o

The chains get warm and get jerky if they are Rusty new chain is cheap !

My 900 12 row did that. I took the chain off the drums to spin them by hand and found that they both were out of round. I straightened them by hand and problem solved.

Sounds like you have a "tight spot" that is slowing the drum, which then springs free and runs faster to "catch up".  However, this would affect all rows...and would look like V shapes out in the field (outer rows take longer to get there).   However, if it truly is random, then you need to check your seed tubes for obstructions.

I would take all the chains off.  Spin the drum by hand and make sure it turns smoothly, not tightens in one spot.   Check your idler wheel inside the drum for a bad bearing.  spin all the chain  tighteners and Idlers, make sure they are not sticking.  Turn the drivelines and make sure they turn free.   And replace all the chains (including the wheel chains). ANY rust will cause problems on these planters.  CIH recommends removing & storing the chains in a bucket of oil.  

23 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Gee, I thought I was going too fast! :o

I've tried that 5 mph stuff cause a lot of guys say that's planting speed, but nothing runs as smooth then and spacing is not a bit better, maybe worse. Just what works for me. Maybe cause I have too many horses in front?:huh:

For what its worth, when I bought my 800 the guy was so upset with it skipping he dang near gave it away..... I tried everything to figure out what was wrong and found the idler arm under the seed hopper had a tight spot in it. took bushing out polished it and the arm up and smooth as silk!

ok had a little time , pulled gear box chain and as bailey6588 said tension arm would stick in center position , questioning gear box though it is hard to start to turn but turns easy after its moving and has maybe a 1/4" of backlash , can it be removed and take 4 bolt cover off and clean old hard grease out ?

You have me curious now.... I never took mine apart but I may have to explore it just to see!  In my semi trailers I'm using 00 synthetic grease for wheel bearings instead of 80/90 oil, maybe clean gearbox completely and put that in..... Its super slippery and semi pourable kind of like cornhead grease but will not thin out when warm. Keep me posted on what you find, always love to learn!! 

may be this winter but going to pull box and see whats inside , nothing to loose it needs fixed or replaced right ? wouldn't be the first thing I scattered lol ,,,, and it is smoother at really slow speed after freeing up idler under hopper thanks Bailey !

Make sure your chains on the pop sprockets are not to tight .

I had mine tight  the first year i had it and it was really jerky,  i put a 1/2in  slack in it &now its smooth