I decided to tackle this project my self, do to a greedy brake shop in my area charging what i felt was highway robery ..and the simple challenge bestowed upon me by the owner that i couldnt do it my self ...also if i did it would never work..well lol ...not only did i do em ..but i saved 500$ under there estamate . I got it done how i wanted ..and done rite....this was actually a simple job ..and quit enjoyable.. im doing a full restore on this crawler and had plans on posting pics as alot of the info is hard to find ..but for sum reason cant ??? Maybe a diffrent section of this sight ?? Any help would be apreachated ..??  The main reason i did the pads my self was i wanted them full face bonded and rivited with no backing ...no its not factory .. so that was an issue i guess ..

Check the pinned sticky note at the top of the Coffeeshop forum for picture posting info.

I have a td340 that Needs the whole clutch and brake service.  Holding to do this over the winter.  Also needs a lot of track and roller work. Ugh. Very interested in your pics 

I put some pics of my t340 I recently got running in the construction forum.  I tried uploading a video but if didn't like the format.  

I'm currently putting in a new clutch and after wards looking to (adjust, replace/whatever) the planetary steering.  My left side just barely moves the dozer, you have to really pull on the lever to get anything out of it.  The right side is better, but it could use some help too.  Everything I've seen in my manual or online looks like a simple job of removing the seat and pulling the shifter plate.  Having the brake pads re-lined and putting it all back together.  HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING???

21 hours ago, rcscalOhio said:

I'm currently putting in a new clutch and after wards looking to (adjust, replace/whatever) the planetary steering.  My left side just barely moves the dozer, you have to really pull on the lever to get anything out of it.  The right side is better, but it could use some help too.  Everything I've seen in my manual or online looks like a simple job of removing the seat and pulling the shifter plate.  Having the brake pads re-lined and putting it all back together.  HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING???

welcome

yes ,much more involved to do it right the first time,likely 40 years since ANY service at all!

what are the hours and chain /adjustment....photos?

actual brakes need replaced and (every) bearings/ bushing /seals needs inspected/replaced when ALL is open

budget 6 weeks and 3x $$

then move right into, front idler and all rollers before they get too far egged 

15 hours ago, mmi said:

welcome

yes ,much more involved to do it right the first time,likely 40 years since ANY service at all!

what are the hours and chain /adjustment....photos?

actual brakes need replaced and (every) bearings/ bushing /seals needs inspected/replaced when ALL is open

budget 6 weeks and 3x $$

then move right into, front idler and all rollers before they get too far egged 

Thank you for the response mmi, and aren't you just FULL of GOOD NEWS!  I had a feeling it wasn't as easy as some have led to believe.  I have my dozer with a professional mechanic right now installing the main clutch.  The engine is pulled, we found the main left cylinder has been punctured, so making all new there.  But after that we are going to look at steering. He has extensive experience with heavy equipment and seems to think that this unit has NEVER been adjusted out.  He says I have full adjustment left in the linkage and seems to think that's all would be required to fix the problem!?! Keeping my fingers crossed. Will take pictures as we proceed.

With new added HP you want to be sure it gets to the ground.

the bad news now could make for very good news later  (major repair not needed)

unless mechanic has done MANY of these call binder books and get the correct manuals !!

If it needs main clutch likely ALL other needs serviced,manuals will show adjustments but after 50 years  short term

if outboard finals are ok,rest of rear service should be no more than front 1/2 $$

$65 brakes,$100 seals/oring,sun pads $175-400,....rear finals, sun disc/ bushings,planetary needles ,UC rollers seals....  1/2 or better on chains you now have a 20 year machine

85-98% of this should /can be done at home,labor but not tech intensive.... but purchased labor runs 3-4x  beyond, expensive 1-2 off  fabbed parts as most are NLA IH

I respect and enjoy your responses.  Nice to have a source of knowledge.  I purchased both the "Service and Parts Manuals" from WI based company, they printed off 2 fresh copies for me back in 2011.  My mechanic has done plenty clutches he services a mining company here in Ohio, both gas and diesel powered.  He actually has a 1010 himself and already has gone through the same problems with his.