Chuck1225

Couple of random Farmall 340 questions.

57 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chuck1225 said:

It had autolites in it when I bought it, but who knows how old they were. Didn't look "bad", just well used and possibly worn out. The plugs I put in it yesterday just out of curiosity were 4 new champion plugs (cross referenced to be sure) that have been hanging out in a cupboard here on the farm for who knows how long, but they won't be staying. I've got autolites coming in the mail, should be here tomorrow. I despise champions, but can't bring myself to throw away the "extras" we have, either.

 

as for the oil pressure, haven't hooked up a mechanical test gauge to it yet, but yeah, it seems ok.

At least try the Champions.  The Champion D-15Y''s in my Super H are about 37, maybe 40 years old, the old girl is getting tired, last compression test was 105 to 110 psi, one hole maybe was 100.  The thing idles smooth, has never fouled a plug, and most of it,s hours are put on in winter pushing around snow at 1000 to 1200 RPM.  The D-18Y's in the M are about 10 to 11 years old, same thing, idles around and has never fouled a plug.  Seen many IH's with new AC plugs that would barely start and run.  Both my tractors need a good hard pull for several hours to blow the carbon out.

I'd use an NGK plug before I'd use an Autolite.  Like I said, Autolite makes Motorcraft and I had a brand new plug in a brand new engine, 1987 300-6 break off a chunk of the insulator tip in the engine.  Luckily it did no damage but I'll never use an Autolite or Motorcraft plug again.   Heck, I'd use an E3 before them.

This bad Champion plug story is as old and inaccurate as the story that Ford owns Cummins! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

At least try the Champions.  The Champion D-15Y''s in my Super H are about 37, maybe 40 years old, the old girl is getting tired, last compression test was 105 to 110 psi, one hole maybe was 100.  The thing idles smooth, has never fouled a plug, and most of it,s hours are put on in winter pushing around snow at 1000 to 1200 RPM.  The D-18Y's in the M are about 10 to 11 years old, same thing, idles around and has never fouled a plug.  Seen many IH's with new AC plugs that would barely start and run.  Both my tractors need a good hard pull for several hours to blow the carbon out.

I'd use an NGK plug before I'd use an Autolite.  Like I said, Autolite makes Motorcraft and I had a brand new plug in a brand new engine, 1987 300-6 break off a chunk of the insulator tip in the engine.  Luckily it did no damage but I'll never use an Autolite or Motorcraft plug again.   Heck, I'd use an E3 before them.

This bad Champion plug story is as old and inaccurate as the story that Ford owns Cummins! 

 

Well, my dislike of champion plugs is more a personal preference than anything. They work great in my single cylinder Kohlers (so I guess I shouldn't say I despise them) I'm just partial to a few other brands (NGK has seemed to work well, in my old truck) 

yeesh! Sorry to hear about your autolite story! Glad it didn't do any damage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chuck1225 said:

Well, my dislike of champion plugs is more a personal preference than anything. They work great in my single cylinder Kohlers (so I guess I shouldn't say I despise them) I'm just partial to a few other brands (NGK has seemed to work well, in my old truck) 

yeesh! Sorry to hear about your autolite story! Glad it didn't do any damage!

I changed plugs in my truck at 10,000 miles and found the bad plug, 6 new Champions went in it and I ran it to 121,000 miles, just getting broke in when I traded it for my PSD in '96.

Dad bought two Super M's at a farm sale clear down by St. LOUIS back in the 1980's.  Had the neighbor, Jerry Ruhnow haul them home.  NTPA fans will recognize Jerry's name.  Anyhow, Dad sold one to finance the hauling the two tractors home, no Craig's List back then,  small ad in the local Henry County Advertiser.  Guy that graduated from high school with my sister bought the Stage I I Super M.  Was going to be his winter chore tractor.  He goes to Farm & Fleet and buys AC plugs, cheap cap & rotor, cheap points & condenser, cheap plug wires and about two days later calls Dad because the tractor he sold him won't start.  Dad grabs his tune-up case and pays him a house call.  Sees all the new cheap parts, goes to the IH dealer in town and buys good OEM parts.  Goes back and installs them all and the engine spins about half a turn and popped right Off!  And hands the guy the bill for the new OEM parts.

Before that in the late 1960's and early '70's I'd put new Champion plugs'points, & condenser in the Super H every fall and put the old stuff in a coffee can for some reason.  One fall Dad put AC plugs in the M.  About 2 months later when it was getting cold it wouldn'the start.  Dad grabbed my coffee can, cleaned up four old plugs with 250 hours on them and installed them.  Same thing, engine cranked over about half a turn and started.

Most of the criticism about Champion plugs is caused by cheap stale gasoline,  bad carb adjustments, and wrong heat range.  If my tired old Super H can run D-15Y plugs without fouling, anything can. D-21's are too hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I changed plugs in my truck at 10,000 miles and found the bad plug, 6 new Champions went in it and I ran it to 121,000 miles, just getting broke in when I traded it for my PSD in '96.

Dad bought two Super M's at a farm sale clear down by St. LOUIS back in the 1980's.  Had the neighbor, Jerry Ruhnow haul them home.  NTPA fans will recognize Jerry's name.  Anyhow, Dad sold one to finance the hauling the two tractors home, no Craig's List back then,  small ad in the local Henry County Advertiser.  Guy that graduated from high school with my sister bought the Stage I I Super M.  Was going to be his winter chore tractor.  He goes to Farm & Fleet and buys AC plugs, cheap cap & rotor, cheap points & condenser, cheap plug wires and about two days later calls Dad because the tractor he sold him won't start.  Dad grabs his tune-up case and pays him a house call.  Sees all the new cheap parts, goes to the IH dealer in town and buys good OEM parts.  Goes back and installs them all and the engine spins about half a turn and popped right Off!  And hands the guy the bill for the new OEM parts.

Before that in the late 1960's and early '70's I'd put new Champion plugs'points, & condenser in the Super H every fall and put the old stuff in a coffee can for some reason.  One fall Dad put AC plugs in the M.  About 2 months later when it was getting cold it wouldn'the start.  Dad grabbed my coffee can, cleaned up four old plugs with 250 hours on them and installed them.  Same thing, engine cranked over about half a turn and started.

Most of the criticism about Champion plugs is caused by cheap stale gasoline,  bad carb adjustments, and wrong heat range.  If my tired old Super H can run D-15Y plugs without fouling, anything can. D-21's are too hot.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I realized I hadn't uploaded any pictures, and, well.. I'd better rectify that situation, yes?

IMG_8844.JPG

IMG_8845.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Evil, love your Champion spark plug assessment.  When I worked for 37 years at the IH dealer, we had one brand of plugs as that is what came in all the new tractors.   It was Champion.  Be darn hard to sell a new tractor that wouldn't run like some claim because it had Champion plugs in them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had champions in my '05 f150 with the 5.4 3 valve engine and the electrode broke off two of them before the next oil change. Motorcraft platinums went in after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: (sorry for the delay),  New plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. On the plus side, I don't have the issue in fifth gear with it taking forever to take off/get up to speed/throttle up/however you want to say it. On the negative side, still have a slight miss. Next plan is to borrow a timing light and double check that the timing is actually correct.

 

tractor has some leaks; bad one out of the rear end somewhere, I think diff cover maybe? Haven't had time to clean it up and verify, but I don't see anything actually busted, like I saw on someone'a old archived thread here on the forum. Minorly leaky engine oil pan (already have a gasket to fix it), and *maybe* one or two others.. I'll probably just buckle down and do the T/A sooner than I'd planned, and fix the leak then, I'll also check my engine bearing tolerances while I've got the oil pan off.. among other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now