Chuck1225

Couple of random Farmall 340 questions.

57 posts in this topic

I'll ask my questions first, then give the backstory to this thread.

1: what group size battery would a Farmall 340 take?

2: unless I miss my guess, a 211 plow would be the correct plow for the fast-hitch? Or was a 311 more of the "standard"? (I've been trying to do some research, but people are confusing..)

3: I'd like to get a set of cultivators for it, and there may be some sets of various IH cultivators around.. anyone know what model(s?) I should look for?

4: Anyone know where to get a fast-hitch to 3 point adapter? The kind that has the third link built in at the top? (I'll try to throw a picture in) I've been trying to find one, but google isn't much help, and all I see on eBay are the ones with separate arms and no top link.. I've got an 8 foot Oliver 330 disk harrow that I'd like to use behind it..

Backstory: here on my grandparents retired grain farm, the land is leased out, and they've kept the older tractors (an H, C, the BN I'm fixing up in grandpa's honor since he passed [which is nearly done, I'm just waiting on people in my family with the proper expertise to help, like they said they would.], a ferguson 30, and a small hydrostatic Deere with a loader that's fairly new.). I've been saving up for awhile to buy another, "bigger" tractor as compared to the BN, which I can use for a several acre sweet corn patch, (a friend told me I can plant sweet corn in his vacant pasture), running the pull-behind Deere brush hog around the farm, and cleaning up some brush and timber at "the other place", which is a small farmstead with nothing but a barn and a woods, which I plan to buy and build my home on within the next few years.. I've found a 340, that (supposedly) runs and drives just great, and I'm going to take a look at it in a week.. With the research I've done, it seems like it would be just about the perfect tractor for what I'm doing, as far as size/power goes.. I know I could use the H for most things, sell my 3 point disk and get a trailer model, along with a trailer plow, but.. the H is running rough, and I'm not sure if I want to try to tackle that project, since it's not my tractor, but it would be my money going into a (probable) overhaul. I just don't want to sink a grand or two into grandpa's H, only to have a cousin show up two weeks after finishing and saying, "I need this.".. I also don't think it would be right to lay claim/buy any more of grandpa's tractors, because I'd feel selfish.. I've got the BN, I have to be fair with the rest.. now, if down the road something happens to grandma, and they're put up for sale by my extended family, that's a different story; then I'll jump in and buy them all, but.. for now, I want to be fair and give the rest of my cousins a chance to show some interest in grandpa's tractors, or to just not give a care, at which point I won't feel selfish for buying the memories I have of the man.

err.. sorry for going off on a tangent!

TL;DR: Looking at a Farmall 340 as a viable chore tractor/light-duty sweet-corn patch tractor.

I did find tonystractors.com just now, while looking for a picture. I think I'll have to contact him and see what his thoughts are, hopefully he can point me in the right direction..

Yes a 211 will work fine for you. A 2 bottom 16" plow would be about perfect. It would probably pull a 3 bottom but only at 14" at most and thats pushing it in heavy soil and hills. Any 12 volt battery for a v6 car will work. As far as that H goes if its not smoking bad or putting coolant in the oil its probably gonna be cheap and easy to fix but I understand your reservations with that. Looks like a 468 or #45 cultivator could fit your 340 but I'm not 100% on that. Not sure on the 3 point conversion but you can try steiners or yesterdays tractors,or dealerships.

Thanks! That helps!!

The guy that owns it is the same one I bought my old combine from; the tractor was something his father wanted, and searched high and low to find.. they did some work to it, but then his dad got sick and they set it aside.. now they're trying to sell it to help with medical bills. Supposedly it runs just great, but I don't want to show up with just a can of gas, I'd like to go somewhat prepared. He says he has some fast hitch implements for it, he's just not 100% sure what he wants to sell and what he wants to keep for his 504 utility. Hopefully I can find a 211 plow and a set of cultivators, maybe even a small fast-hitch disk. (Did they make those? Lol.) then I could sell the Oliver, or keep it as a backup..

Yes they made fast hitch discs that would work great for your 340. Just google image "international fast hitch disc" and something should pop up. Pretty sure if you wait one will pop up on ebay or even a local craigs list. Ya its a 4 cylinder gasser so pretty standard stuff there. Is it a utility or a row cropper?

The 340 will have the large prong fast hitch. 

There are places that make 3pt adapters brand new. Here is one I found via google

http://www.agstore.com/hitch2.html

There are also the type you referenced out there. 

Row crop, tricycle front. I have a picture, but it's not the best.. I had more, but they mysteriously dissapeared.

thanks, sledgehammer!

IMG_8801.JPG

Hey that thing looks nice! I would love to have a 240,340,and a 560 since we already have the 460 and 660.

I have a Farmall 340 and can tell you a few things about it.  I have a 3 point conversion like you mentioned and recommend using one.  I also have a ferguson 3 point cultivator that works good for my purpose if I go slow.  I have a C20 plow that was built for the Farmall C, it is fast hitch but with small prongs and is probably 14" but i'm not sure, but still does a good job.  I use a 6' disc, the cheap one from the farm store, that works okay but i'm sure it could handle a bigger one.  Fast hitch implements are hard to come by in my area so when you see something you need on craigslist you better be buying and not waiting for it to go down.  I also have a 2001 loader on mine.  I'll try to answer any questions you might have.  Putter

My 340 is the same as yours but with a wide front end.  It was originally 6 volt and I had it converted.  Yours looks like it has a generator on it so I'd make sure what you have before you go over to pick it up.  Putter

11 minutes ago, PUTTER said:

My 340 is the same as yours but with a wide front end.  It was originally 6 volt and I had it converted.  Yours looks like it has a generator on it so I'd make sure what you have before you go over to pick it up.  Putter

Thanks, Putter! I figure I'll take my "community battery" (the battery I seem to stick in everything to try), and a new 6 volt for the BN, just to cover my bases. How does it handle with a loader? Not sure if I could find one, but it would definitely be nice to have! The Deere we've got just doesn't have a lot of "oompfh" behind it..

I agree, 660 Driver! Love to have the whole line-up.. gotta start somewhere, right?

I have a book by C.H. Wendel that lists all Nebraska tractor tests from 1920 to 1985.  The test report on the Farmall 340 says the tractor's differential casting failed catastrophically just seconds into the 100% drawbar load test.  And people wonder if the 460 & 560 rear ends are durable?!?!?   

Anyhow,  I would spend a little time and hopefully little cash and get the H running well.  If a cousin comes and wants to lay claim to "Grandpa's tractor". get out your receipts and show him/her what you invested in Dollars to get it running right let alone your time and talents and make sure you get reimbursed accordingly if the Cousin insists on having the tractor.

My Cousin wanted Grandpa's old F-20, was about a '38 vintage, H's & M's were in the field when Grandpa got it.  It had settled in the dirt where it sat at my other Uncle's for decades.  Cousin pulled it in two trying to pull it out of where it sat frozen into the ground and onto his trailer.  It ended up being a parts tractor to the other F-20 he bought.  What you are afraid of is like Me going and asking or expecting my Cousin to give me that F-20 after he restored it.  I would not do that, and I would hope your cousin's wouldn't either.

The H can pull a 2-14 pull plow, 7-8 ft disk, 5-6 ft bush hog, 2-row cultivator.  There were almost 400,000 made, used parts are plentiful.  Guys back in the 1940's & '50's farmed 80 acre farms with them.

My other Grandfather had two unstyled JD A's that even the JD dealer a mile away didn't want in the mid-1960's.  And an early WC Allis-Chalmers,  none of which I was interested in, in the least.

I have a 340 farmall too. It is the handiest tractor to back empty wagons around with because of it's  very short wheelbase. To light to back full wagons. I always called it a super c with 560 tin. Somebody told me they used a 460 utility reared in the 340. The  bad thing about the 340 is it has got to be about the  hardest  tractor ever made to get on and off of. Not enough room between the seat and steering wheel.

9 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I have a book by C.H. Wendel that lists all Nebraska tractor tests from 1920 to 1985.  The test report on the Farmall 340 says the tractor's differential casting failed catastrophically just seconds into the 100% drawbar load test.  And people wonder if the 460 & 560 rear ends are durable?!?!?   

Anyhow,  I would spend a little time and hopefully little cash and get the H running well.  If a cousin comes and wants to lay claim to "Grandpa's tractor". get out your receipts and show him/her what you invested in Dollars to get it running right let alone your time and talents and make sure you get reimbursed accordingly if the Cousin insists on having the tractor.

My Cousin wanted Grandpa's old F-20, was about a '38 vintage, H's & M's were in the field when Grandpa got it.  It had settled in the dirt where it sat at my other Uncle's for decades.  Cousin pulled it in two trying to pull it out of where it sat frozen into the ground and onto his trailer.  It ended up being a parts tractor to the other F-20 he bought.  What you are afraid of is like Me going and asking or expecting my Cousin to give me that F-20 after he restored it.  I would not do that, and I would hope your cousin's wouldn't either.

The H can pull a 2-14 pull plow, 7-8 ft disk, 5-6 ft bush hog, 2-row cultivator.  There were almost 400,000 made, used parts are plentiful.  Guys back in the 1940's & '50's farmed 80 acre farms with them.

My other Grandfather had two unstyled JD A's that even the JD dealer a mile away didn't want in the mid-1960's.  And an early WC Allis-Chalmers,  none of which I was interested in, in the least.

Thanks, Doctor Evil. I always like reading what you have to say, and this time is no different. I'll probably save the H for this coming winter, and give it a good, proper going-through, like I'm doing with the BN. I'll save the receipts, and if something comes along, I'll have them to pull out and show. As for the 340, well, I don't plan on using it too hard- certainly won't be abusing it, I was always taught to take good care of my things -but nevertheless, you've given me something to think about, and to make sure I check the rear end over well.

1 hour ago, randy hall said:

I have a 340 farmall too. It is the handiest tractor to back empty wagons around with because of it's  very short wheelbase. To light to back full wagons. I always called it a super c with 560 tin. Somebody told me they used a 460 utility reared in the 340. The  bad thing about the 340 is it has got to be about the  hardest  tractor ever made to get on and off of. Not enough room between the seat and steering wheel.

Thanks for the heads up! Thankfully, I'm a pretty skinny and flexible guy, so hopefully it won't be too bad! I don't remember what tractor it was, probably one I worked on in school, but I ended up having to sit sidesaddle(?) and kick my right leg up and over the steering wheel. That was interesting, lol.

Never found a reliable source for the "arch" style 3pt adapters. Nobody makes them anymore. You see them come up from time to time for sale and on auctions. You just have to keep your eyes open and be ready to pounce when you see one.

The loader on my 340 makes my power steering work pretty hard.  I took off the IH bucket and put on a Kubota one that is shorter and wider that helped the steering.  I also have an H and the 340 is ten times handier than the H.  The live power,power steering and torque amplifier are the main reasons.  One of the first things I bought at the salvage yard was the deluxe seat adjuster and a new seat, it had a steel seat on it that didn't adjust.  I'm going to agree with Dr. Evil though on getting the H running.  Take that carb off and give it a good cleaning.  Air up the tires to recommended pressure.  Clean the points and plugs.  All pretty cheap things to do to see what you have, then use it and don't worry about someone coming to claim it.

When I had my 340 I had a 211 plow for it and it was a good match.

340 with 211 plow-1.jpg

and use good gas.

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys! I just called and talked to the owner, and I have one more question. If it happens to be a 6 V, will it hurt the tractor if it's ran with a 12 V for long? Reason I ask is, he said he didn't remember if it was a 6 or a 12, but he thought it was a 12, threw a 12 in, and it started up,  ran, and drove just fine.  Just want to make sure I'm not going to cook something if I try to drive it home with the wrong battery.

edit: I imagine yes, so in hindsight, it's probably a stupid question, but, I'm not going to delete it. 

Edited by Chuck1225

2 hours ago, Chuck1225 said:

Thanks guys! I just called and talked to the owner, and I have one more question. If it happens to be a 6 V, will it hurt the tractor if it's ran with a 12 V for long? Reason I ask is, he said he didn't remember if it was a 6 or a 12, but he thought it was a 12, threw a 12 in, and it started up,  ran, and drove just fine.  Just want to make sure I'm not going to cook something if I try to drive it home with the wrong battery.

edit: I imagine yes, so in hindsight, it's probably a stupid question, but, I'm not going to delete it. 

No such thing as a stupid question

I think it needs to have a resistor at the ignition system for a 6 volt system and a 12 volt battery. The coil needs to be for 12 volt also. I may be wrong, someone will know more than me

start and load  should not do much   6v and use 12v  coil will heat and may burn out,  points too  but...$30

lights would pop , battery will drain/not charge   340 usually easy to start but if early and 6v  you would be 1/2  way to change over anyhow....12v gen + reg...leave starter as it is heavy wond.... it was 80/20 or less  12v/6v

if cables are thin it is likely 12v

see which side coil is  to points   + 6v  - 12v     cant find the note b  but over #3800 should be 12v

22 minutes ago, mmi said:

start and load  should not do much   6v and use 12v  coil will heat and may burn out,  points too  but...$30

lights would pop , battery will drain/not charge   340 usually easy to start but if early and 6v  you would be 1/2  way to change over anyhow....12v gen + reg...leave starter as it is heavy wond.... it was 80/20 or less  12v/6v

if cables are thin it is likely 12v

see which side coil is  to points   + 6v  - 12v     cant find the note b  but over #3800 should be 12v

Thanks!

If the coil has been replaced recently it should be painted on the coil. Probably the easiest way to check. Not saying it couldn't have the wrong coil on it

I have a 340 and a 211 plow. 2x16" is a good match. I also have a 312 3x14" but that would be a load.

If you want a front mount cultivator 266 or 466 are the correct models. I have a 466. A fast hitch cultivator would probably be easier to find though.

The Farmall 340 is a neat little tractor but hard to get off and on...the older I get the harder it seems.

Today's the big day! Going to look at it in roughly 4-5 hours.. if all goes well, it should be sitting in my driveway tonight! I'm taking a 6v battery with me, and my multimeter. I'll start it with the 12 and then check to see how much voltage the generator is putting out.