Sign in to follow this  
U-C

Softcore Roundbalers any good?

I know that Case IH and other companies made Softcore Roundbalers and was wondering were and are this balers any good? What are the pros of this balers? We had only New Holland Roll Belt balers and now a Kuhn roundbaler (all of them are Hardcore) on our farm.

Some people loved them claiming that they could bale hay that was a little on the damp side and they would dry after being rolled up.

I had one. Got because of price. Didn't much care for it. Bales didn't hold shape well and were harder to handle than hard core bales.

As far as the mechanical side no better or worse than hard core balers.

Pro's would be that they could in fact breath a little providing they were not stacked end to end.

The Con's would be 1. not being able to adjust the size of a bale (mine was supposed to produce 1800-2000 alfalfa bales). It's either a full bale or no bale. Lite bales fall apart when trying to handle them because the outer part isn't hard enough to support the weight. 2. if the hay was put up damp you cannot stack them end to end.

Other than that they were not a bad baler.

Rick

I have a New Ideal 486, Biggest Pro for me was you never even needed to look back when starting a bale, just drive.  Biggest Con was I could not unroll them with a bale bed because of the too soft center, they would always want to just drag instead of roll.

CIH did not make a soft core baler, New Idea made them.  I ran a New Idea 486 (CIH was 3650) for 7 years.  Great baler.  Simple to run and use.  Set right it made 1600# bales that held their shape fine.  I could roll hay that was too tough and it always turned out fine.  Neighbors would call and have me roll hay because rain was coming and it just wasn't fit yet.  cattle eat it much better because the bale is soft instead of digging off a hard center.  Only real con is soft core bales suck to unroll or even fork off of.  The baler also took some HP to run.  The first 2/3rd-3/4 of a bale was easy.  Once it starts to pack and form the hard outer shell that sheds the weather you want no less then 100hp in front, more the better.

We run 5 case ih soft core balers and love them great for feeding calves because its easy for them to pull apart bale.  biggest con is you can't bale as fast and can't put net wrap on without modifications.  We bale a lot of straw and about 1500 hay bales and about 1500 corn stalk bales every year with them.  We have never had a problem unrolling them we set them down cut the strings and they unroll very easy.  You do have to make big bales though otherwise like others said they fall apart.  Our hay bales weigh 1200-1500 on grass and alfalfa and 1000 on straw and corn stalks

I ran a New Idea 486 for several years until I switched to balage. It was a good baler that made descent bales. No reason I wouldn't buy another if I was looking to make 5'x6' bales again.

3 hours ago, caseySD said:

CIH did not make a soft core baler, New Idea made them.  I ran a New Idea 486 (CIH was 3650) for 7 years.  Great baler.  Simple to run and use.  Set right it made 1600# bales that held their shape fine.  I could roll hay that was too tough and it always turned out fine.  Neighbors would call and have me roll hay because rain was coming and it just wasn't fit yet.  cattle eat it much better because the bale is soft instead of digging off a hard center.  Only real con is soft core bales suck to unroll or even fork off of.  The baler also took some HP to run.  The first 2/3rd-3/4 of a bale was easy.  Once it starts to pack and form the hard outer shell that sheds the weather you want no less then 100hp in front, more the better.

The 8480s were actually made in the hesston plant. When caseih bought a share of Hesston new idea was left out and hesston started their line of balers and the caseih 8480.Had a few soft core balers , McKee ,Vicon and an 8480 cih and OMC drum balers were popular here.Thought they were the cats meow. Bought a used jd 567 and any baler on the farm will be a jd they work and work well no question about if they will make it through the day.

I think the main detriment to a soft-core baler is you don't get the pounds per bale if that is important to you or to hay customers. Other than that, I guess they are good.

We have two clause 66/166 rollent.   Think that do a good job.  Seem fairly maintenance free. Can bale right behind the mower if you want to. For haylage.  Right about hp. Though no less then 75 hp. for these bailers 

Has anyone ever seen a Hesston 5400 rounder groundroll roundbaler in real live? I only seen them in pictures and on youtube.

Yes, there was one purchased new 2 mile from me.

We had them on the farm at home and my brother and neighbor still run them . The main selling point was there easier to roll and the cows could eat the better ? If your doing corn stalks these work really well and they are easy to work on like most round balers .

Danny