Dave Downs

Tractor Pull Guys - recognize this?

Found on a hot rod forum. Looks to be an early puller with twin Allison aircraft engines

TractorPull2Allisons_zpsn4bm7zyb.jpg

The World famous E.J. Potter. Also known as the Michigan Mad Man.

CORRECT!! He lived just south of me in the town of North Star...... Was too little to rember or see him in action, but Wow the stories the guys tell!!

Wow, that is crazy.  what was the HP on those old Allison's?

and he probably did it with out a helmet or hearing protections

I guess he used twins so that his steering linkage would have a nice straight shot.

1 hour ago, Tim1573 said:

The World famous E.J. Potter. Also known as the Michigan Mad Man.

Yep, Saw E. J. Potter pull many a time back in the day. He came to our local Monroe County Fair pulls in Michigan. Great old times.

If I remember correct the two tractors he pulled were called "Double Ugly" and "Beautiful".

Probably better known for his "Bloody Mary" V8 bikes. One crazy dude!

How about some of those stories????

If they are v-1710 allisons they are around 1000hp naturally aspirated. So ya your looking at a 2000hp tractor at stock settings......and by the looks of that guy and by his reputation im thinking they are a little better than stock!

Dick Herm owner of the Dick Herm Livestock commission company at the Peoria Stockyards was the announcer several years at the Henry County Illinois tractor pull..  Dick was an Air Force pilot in WW-II,  knew lots about the 1710 Allison's.  One night at the pull it was really hot and humid.  Dick explained,  "You take an engine that runs at constant load at 2600 RPM at 10,000 to 25,000 ft where it's really cold,  then try to get it to accelerate from 400-500 rpm to 4000+ RPM while burning methanol in This heat and humidity, and You may have some problems!". Think he was explaining why Bill Newlon had problems with his Allison powered Minny.  If Bill's tune-up was good his Allison would have blue, white, and yellow flames a foot long flicking out of his dual exhaust pipes after his pull.

I'd expect most Allison's were making 1800-2000 HP back then, late 1960's, early 1970's.

I think your right gonz. I had forgotten about those engines.

1 hour ago, gonzo 1066 said:

I think the Allison in the photo was a rare W   That was two 1710s on a single crank case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_V-3420

thanks for the link, that is some interesting reading.  only 150 made and one was in a puller?  Wow

EJ Potter lived about 6 miles directly north of me. Although I am too you to remember anything about him, my dad used to hang around with him back when he was younger and doing crazy stuff. My dad has some good stories of some of the stuff EJ came up with. The book EJ wrote covers many of his trial and tribulations as well, and is very interesting.

Ross

20170423_230847-1032x581.jpg

20170423_225453-1032x581.jpg

17 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Wow, that is crazy.  what was the HP on those old Allison's?

and he probably did it with out a helmet or hearing protections

In his book, a close friend wrote a story telling about how he ALWAYS wore a helmet, even before it was required, and considered "uncool" still at the time

I once read a saying of his I think of and repeat often, "ignorance is a powerful tool, when applied properly can even exceed intelligence ". I've found it works for me.