U-C

Hydrostatic driven Farm Vehicles

Recommended Posts

I thought to start a new discusion topic about old and new Hydrostatic driven farm vehicles (tractors, swathers, combines, and etc). Does any one else like them beside me? Pictures of the machines are welcome too.

So I think I'll start: Rigitrac is a swiss tractor manufacture that started up in 2003 by Sepp Knuesel a farmer son and a farm equipment dealer and manufacturer.(2003 also markt 20 years since the last swiss made tractor came of the assembly line in 1983). So far 300 tractors have been sold, Rigitrac is a modern hightec tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. The uploaded image is of the prototype from 2003, official series manufacturing started in 2004.

Rigitrac prototype 2003.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 3488 2wd,  last of the hydros built by IH.  Best parts of the tractor include no clutch, saves on shifting,  variable speeds for any job.  I use it to haul grains to the mill, easy for manuvering the gravity wagons close to the grain augers,  brush hogging,  easy forward/reverse action.  My brother uses it on the #80 snowblower,  makes it easy for reverse work at slow speeds.

Dislikes,  could go faster, only have 18.4-38s on it and it goes about 17mph.  Need the seat to swivel left and right for easier watching of implements behind the tractor.  Would like to add a turbo to the 466 diesel,  but being a rare tractor I don't want to take any chances of it coming apart somewhere.

Would like to own a 3488 with MFD  to go along side the 2wd.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IHC5488 said:

I have a 3488 2wd,  last of the hydros built by IH.  Best parts of the tractor include no clutch, saves on shifting,  variable speeds for any job.  I use it to haul grains to the mill, easy for manuvering the gravity wagons close to the grain augers,  brush hogging,  easy forward/reverse action.  My brother uses it on the #80 snowblower,  makes it easy for reverse work at slow speeds.

Dislikes,  could go faster, only have 18.4-38s on it and it goes about 17mph.  Need the seat to swivel left and right for easier watching of implements behind the tractor.  Would like to add a turbo to the 466 diesel,  but being a rare tractor I don't want to take any chances of it coming apart somewhere.

Would like to own a 3488 with MFD  to go along side the 2wd.

 

Matt

Would be nice when Case IH continued making the Hydros. The 3488 with MFD must be even more rare then the 2wd?

The Rigitrac tractor is only with 4wd, and top speed is 40km/h (1 mile = 1.6km or kilometers).

-Urs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the hydrostatic versatile,ford, new holland lineup of bidirectionals. And for pure farm use a few payloaders are hydrostatic like a 444e jd and a Volvo l50 can't find a better farm loader 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built a hydrostatic drive tractor to power a Dondi rotary Ditcher back in the early '80s.  Utilized from the salvage yard the complete (near new) drive axle from a M- F 750 combine (Sunstrand hydro and heavy 4 speed trans)- - - - - - and powered with a 453 Detroit.  Worked great- - - - - - needed the infinite speed variable for the Ditcher (included a swivel seat).

Only hydrostatic drive tractor that was available back then (that I knew of) was IH (don't remember the model)- - - - but it only had a 2 speed g- box which worked the hydro pretty hard;- - - - - - plus it had a weak PTO for heavy/continued use.

Was also operating M- F 750 combines with hydro drives at the time.

No substitute for the hydrostatic drive in certain applications.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

I built a hydrostatic drive tractor to power a Dondi rotary Ditcher back in the early '80s.  Utilized from the salvage yard the complete (near new) drive axle from a M- F 750 combine (Sunstrand hydro and heavy 4 speed trans)- - - - - - and powered with a 453 Detroit.  Worked great- - - - - - needed the infinite speed variable for the Ditcher (included a swivel seat).

Only hydrostatic drive tractor that was available back then (that I knew of) was IH (don't remember the model)- - - - but it only had a 2 speed g- box which worked the hydro pretty hard;- - - - - - plus it had a weak PTO for heavy/continued use.

Was also operating M- F 750 combines with hydro drives at the time.

No substitute for the hydrostatic drive in certain applications.

 

DD

Forgot about the versatile 300 tractor it looked like the other versatile 4 wd tractors put had a hydrostatic drive unit built in the early 70 s I think. They are rare but you will see one once in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

I built a hydrostatic drive tractor to power a Dondi rotary Ditcher back in the early '80s.  Utilized from the salvage yard the complete (near new) drive axle from a M- F 750 combine (Sunstrand hydro and heavy 4 speed trans)- - - - - - and powered with a 453 Detroit.  Worked great- - - - - - needed the infinite speed variable for the Ditcher (included a swivel seat).

That is really cool, how many years did you use that tractor and do have any pictures if it? I am thinking of building a hydrostatic drive tractor mainly for using it at hay harvest, and using it with the corn planter.

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

Forgot about the versatile 300 tractor it looked like the other versatile 4 wd tractors put had a hydrostatic drive unit built in the early 70 s I think. They are rare but you will see one once in a while.

I have seen a Versatile 300 Hyrdo-Mech for sale a while back. A good idea for a row crop tractor, i think that was what they were used for, I could be wrong with that one. I think Fendt's Vario transmission is similar to Versatile Hydro mech transmission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did not know about the Versatile 300- - - - we didn't see many Versatiles down this way at that time.

Looked the model 300 up on TractorData- - - - shows 200 tractors built- - - - - apparently 1973 era??  (that's 199 more than "Red Neck Design and Fabrication" built):blink:;)

The larger Versatiles did find their way down here.  I've got a neighbor that has collected up 4 or 5 (350 hp range) that they use for primary tillage work.  Still cheap and dependable hp- - - - - some are relatively low hours.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Delta Dirt said:

Did not know about the Versatile 300- - - - we didn't see many Versatiles down this way at that time.

Looked the model 300 up on TractorData- - - - shows 200 tractors built- - - - - apparently 1973 era??  (that's 199 more than "Red Neck Design and Fabrication" built):blink:;)

The larger Versatiles did find their way down here.  I've got a neighbor that has collected up 4 or 5 (350 hp range) that they use for primary tillage work.  Still cheap and dependable hp- - - - - some are relatively low hours.

 

DD

I only know about the Versatile 300 from the Versatile book Versatile Tractors: A Farm Boy's Dream: by Jarrod Pakosh.

We have a Versatile 875 build in 1980 on the Farm we use it mostly for tillage work, the New Holland TM 140 did that before but the farm got bigger so we needed a bigger tractor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have seen a versatile 300 dragging and leveling  a road. It belonged to a 1st cousin of my dad's grandson. He bought it as a collector tractor to resell. I think they basically ran a hydro pump and motor hooked to a versatile transmission for four range gears. Never looked at one though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will have to see if I can dig up pictures to scan and post.  

I still have the tractor (not running)- - - - and sold the Dondi Ditcher.

Tractor was set up as a "prime mover style" with no front wheels- - - - - - Ditcher was mounted onto dolly cart; which was coupled to the tractor with an articulated hinge.

Using the complete axle from the combine as the basic unit gave me the hydro, transmission, final drives all mounted as a unit.  Then built up from the axle- - - - - bought a Cotta "oilfield service" clutch/gearbox that gave me a sturdy and dependable 1,000 rpm pto drive behind the 453 Detroit.  (pretty simple componentized construction- - - - once I saw what I wanted while walking up to the front of one of the combines one morning)

Always wanted to add a Mud Hog drive to the dolly cart (for hydraulic assist wheel drive)- - - - but never got around to it.  I managed to get poor enough to retire (?:huh:) from farming in 1985;- - - - - been active in farm real estate since as an appraiser and broker.  No matter- - - - it's hard to get the scrap iron and Dirt outta your blood!!!

DD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my 186 on the baler and snowblower. I actually prefer a gear drive 86 on the loader though. I like the position of the shifter better for back and forth work. 

Now if I could get the f-r lever off the dash and down into the left console on my 186 I would be in business!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Urs Lisibach has build in 2005 his first Selfpropelled Roundbaler with Hydrostatic drive (in Switzerland)! Here are three videos of the first version of the SP Roundbaler:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, U-C said:

Urs Lisibach has build in 2005 his first Selfpropelled Roundbaler with Hydrostatic drive (in Switzerland)! Here are three videos of the first version of the SP Roundbaler:

 

Used to be a decal on an old round baler we had that said welger system. Welger must make balers yet. The McKee round baler we had shared a lot of parts with the early 3650 ih balers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1066 hydro, had a pair of 186, SP chopper, SP mower, had a 1480 we used the drivetrain to build a 30' mower , the 782, rtv900

And a pile of skidsteers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did hydros perform doing tillage work?  IIRC, didn't you lose roughly about 15hp by going with a hydro over gear drive?  I agree with the others, there are some jobs that just are made easier with a hydro.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2017 at 7:01 PM, U-C said:

I thought to start a new discusion topic about old and new Hydrostatic driven farm vehicles (tractors, swathers, combines, and etc). Does any one else like them beside me? Pictures of the machines are welcome too.

So I think I'll start: Rigitrac is a swiss tractor manufacture that started up in 2003 by Sepp Knuesel a farmer son and a farm equipment dealer and manufacturer.(2003 also markt 20 years since the last swiss made tractor came of the assembly line in 1983). So far 300 tractors have been sold, Rigitrac is a modern hightec tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. The uploaded image is of the prototype from 2003, official series manufacturing started in 2004.

Rigitrac prototype 2003.jpg

4 wheel steering!!!  Have any of these made it across the pond?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, redneckchevy9 said:

4 wheel steering!!!  Have any of these made it across the pond?

I have asked the manufacture if they would export them to North America and they said "because of insurance cost to ship them so far, we will not sell them in North America yet." The Rigitrac company builds about 30 tractors a year maybe a little more now. The price is about the same as a Fendt tractor.

And here is a video of the smallest model that came out in 2013.

Through a friend of mine I had the honor to visit the shop where the Rigitrac's are build and to meet the Knuesel Family. They also have a museum of old and rare tractors which they showed me too. Meeting them was really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Used to be a decal on an old round baler we had that said welger system. Welger must make balers yet. The McKee round baler we had shared a lot of parts with the early 3650 ih balers.

What I know is that Welger is owned 50% by Lely and the other 50% by Vermeer. Now that AGCO bought the Hay Tool division from Lely, I do not know how that is going to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redneckchevy9 said:

How did hydros perform doing tillage work?  IIRC, didn't you lose roughly about 15hp by going with a hydro over gear drive?  I agree with the others, there are some jobs that just are made easier with a hydro.  

Here I am on mine plowing with a 311 fast hitch plow (3x16) on my 1971 544 Diesel Hydro. I don't think it hurts them to do tillage but I wouldn't want to do heavy tillage all the time with one vs a gear drive. Keep good fluid in them and it should work fine. 

4-4.5mph at 9" deep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:39 PM, Delta Dirt said:

Did not know about the Versatile 300- - - - we didn't see many Versatiles down this way at that time.

Looked the model 300 up on TractorData- - - - shows 200 tractors built- - - - - apparently 1973 era??  (that's 199 more than "Red Neck Design and Fabrication" built):blink:;)

The larger Versatiles did find their way down here.  I've got a neighbor that has collected up 4 or 5 (350 hp range) that they use for primary tillage work.  Still cheap and dependable hp- - - - - some are relatively low hours.

 

DD

There was one neighbor who had a Versatile 300 back in the day.  He had a loader on it and dug out a small pond with it.  Today I have a different neighbor with one he bought just for a collector.  He also has a couple of G-125s which are hard to come by.  They used the 300 for pulling NH3 tanks until they quit that some years ago.  They were more or less the forerunner to the bi-directional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, redneckchevy9 said:

How did hydros perform doing tillage work?  IIRC, didn't you lose roughly about 15hp by going with a hydro over gear drive?  I agree with the others, there are some jobs that just are made easier with a hydro.  

dad bought a new 826 hydro in 1971. the 550 5-16s that we had been pulling with the 806 moved to the 826, and the 806 got duty pulling a 12' disk with a mounted spray tank and spray boom and a 12' drag behind the disk, to incorporate sutan. i spent lots of hours on the 826, plowing 8-9" deep at around 5 mph. we never had issues with the transmission, although a neighbor 2 miles down the valley said he could always hear the whine when i was plowing. dad traded the 826 for a 1086 in 1977 or 78, and the new pwner of the 826 blew the engine up shortly thereafter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a video of a Rapid Motor Mower (motormaeher) with hydrostatic drive used for mowing slopes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4j5PLYgIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My 656 hydro spends its time under the loader,  but once and awhile I like to plow or disk with it. Heating up the Hy Tran will help evaporate out the condensation.

Edited by nepoweshiekfarmalls
Spell check got me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Swiss AEBI Company manufactures different types of Hydrostatic driven vehicles one of them is the Motor mower (one axle tractor/multi tool carrier. The biggest model they make is either available with a 18hp or a 23hp. AEBI started making motor mowers since 1949 but there first motor driven mower was a single horse drawn mower with the the same size sickle bar as their ground drive mode! The AEBI company stopped making the horse drawn mower models at the end of the 50's.

The AEBI Combicut CC66 made since 2003 (pictures are courtesy of the AEBI & Co. AG. Burgdorf.

 

Combicut_Aebi_CC66_LW_06[2984].jpg

Combicut_Aebi_CC66.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now