IH Forever

682 driveline

On my 682 I have problems with the roll pin shearing off in the driveline in front of the cooling fan.  It will work fine for several hours and then will eventually shear the pin.

When I bought the tractor I took the engine out to replace the starter.  At the same time I replaced the rubber couplers in the drive shaft.  Could I have something incorrect that would cause pressure on the roll pin?  When the pin breaks the holes may be off by 1/16th of an inch and I need to use a punch to line things up.  This shouldn't be enough to causing binding that would shear the pin should it?

Thanks in advance.

There should be some bushings on each end of the driveshaft.  They are a bronze ball with a hole in them and a metal casing.    You also need to use spiral pins instead of roll pins.   Spiral are stronger.  

Nate

This is the bushing I was trying to describe.   

image.jpeg

Are the pins shearing or falling out?

Pictures would be good here. I am thinking with the slop in the hole the pins are sheering off???  But trust me I am NO expert by any means, Rainman gets credit on this if correct!!

10 hours ago, nate said:

There should be some bushings on each end of the driveshaft.  They are a bronze ball with a hole in them and a metal casing.    You also need to use spiral pins instead of roll pins.   Spiral are stronger.

Nate

I've been using 1/4" by 1 3/8" heavy duty steel coiled spring pins that I bought from McMaster Carr.  When I 1st put it back together I used regular roll pins but then switched to these.

Are the bronze bushings supposed to hold the drive shaft completely firm?  There isn't a little a lot of slop, maybe 1/16" to 1/8".  The pins are shearing off. The last time it happened the pin was completely gone but usually it is sheared off.

Thanks again.

I put a wire thru spiral pin & tie it tight so won't drop out. Never had problem with since. Bushing should be snug on shaft, maybe new bushing....

5 hours ago, Rainman said:

I put a wire thru spiral pin & tie it tight so won't drop out. Never had problem with since. Bushing should be snug on shaft, maybe new bushing....

Or I've used a worm gear hose clamp to keep the pins in.  Had the hardened dowel pin in the driveshaft of a 129 with a badly worn engine drive plate that would push the roll pin thru the SS hose clamp!  I made a heavy duty clamp to keep the pin in place. Welded two nuts on edge to a piece of 1/8" thk steel about 1/2" wide, drilled the threads out of one nut and used a short machine screw to clamp the pin in place.

Safety wire the spiroll pins as suggested.....problems will likely go away....