Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coyote Crossing

IH 500 lost all hydraulics

14 posts in this topic

Was removing topsoil for a 36 x 56 pavilion on our tractor show grounds when I lost all hydraulics.  I'm assuming its the pump but could it be something else?  My 500 is a #10 bullgrader with a 6 way blade.  According to the manual it should have a 12 GPM front mounted pump.  I plan on pulling the pump on Monday or Tuesday.

Before you dive in the front, make sure there is no return to valve manifold.  The valves are a lot easier to access than removing the pump!  Good luck.

As John said , check for return flow , if no flow,  Then go for the pump - Likely find stripped splines ,bad coupler

Worked on the my 500 yesterday.  I took the cover off the hydraulic manifold and disconnected the return to the gear box.  There was no return flow on cranking the engine.  I pulled the side panels by the radiator and ran the tractor up on 6" blocks and noticed that the pump shaft was not turning.  I worked for a couple of hours trying to get the pump out the way the manual said and it would not come.  I had to loosen the oil cooler, so I could get enough room to get the pump out. The markings on the adapter which is stripped indicate it for a 500C and I assume the pump is also for a 500C.  Thus the reason it wouldn't come out.  The shaft is splined and it should have been press fit into the adaptor with a key.  I guess I'll see if I can get the right pump first and then see if I can get a machine shop to repair the spline on the shaft and the adaptor.  A neighbor has a manual for the 500C as he has both 500 and 500C loaders and see what the output is on the pump I have.

Here's where I stand now.  The present pump works but it is a 26 gpm pump of a IH 500C with backhoe, not a 12 gpm pump.  The adaptor that bolts to the crankshaft pulley is striped.  Adaptor part number is 850501C1.  The pump that should be on the tractor is # 635868R91 with adaptor #675742R1.  I sent an email to General Gear tonight, called F.P. Smith-nothing, called Associated Tractor and they said they had to do more digging.  I will take the pump and adaptor to the local rebuild shop (Ronco) tomorrow.  Anyone with any ideas.

I'm interested in the solution as this seems to be a very common problem with 500s and I have a 500C. Would there be room for a Love Joy coupler to replace what seems to be a obsolete original equipment part. I thought I remember someone trying a Love Joy set-up in the past. In machine shop applications I have broached Love Joy's ID to match the splined shafts of hydraulic pumps. Repairing the adapter almost seems like a expensive total fabrication project.  Good luck on the repair.

PS  When my retired tool and die maker buddy saw my 500C he told me about the one they had at work-Delco, your machine.

Kurt

Kurt,  Maybe your retired buddy knows who put the 500C pump in my 500.  I would like to get the early history of my dozer while at Delco.

I'll ask him

Coyote Crossing, Joe never worked on your dozer. He said they had a maintenance dept. take care of the equipment. He stated it should have a lot of life left in it as they very seldom used it. He remembers the blocks on the tracks and that it was kept indoors. How's the coupler rebuild going?

Kurt

A while back someone on here used a coupler from  a Ford backhoe to adapt one.   If it is from a 500c, the pump should have a hex shaft on it that fit into the coupler.  A spring over the hex shaft pushed the front coupler (pump) into the fingers of the rear half of the coupler which was bolted to the balancer on the engine.

Kurt,  I appreciate the information.  I gave up finding an adapter and took it to a machine shop today.  They will mill it, press a sleeve into it and cut a spline to fit the pump.  The pump check out fine.  I should have it back in 7 to 9 days.

Rawleigh99,  Even though the pump was stamped 500C, it is not a 500C setup.  The 500 lacks the flex shaft, coupler and spring.  It is direct drive.  There is only about 1/2" between the adapter and the pump.  Also the 500C manual-like the 500 manual- shows a keyed shaft and not a spline.

fullsizeoutput_53c.jpeg

I think the stuff I used was from a case backhoe.  My 500C never had too much up time but it worked while I was using it :).  My pump was shot so cant remember if something was different from spline standpoint.   But I like to take pictures and post anyway.

20140712_085313-s.jpg

I'll take pictures when I put the pump back in.  My setup is a lot different from the one you pictured.