Sign in to follow this  
KevinUK

982 fuel pump connections

Hi.  On my 982 fuel pump one of the connections is missing - the yellow tape in the photo. Is anybody able to tell me where the vacuum hose connect to? Photos would be great 🙂🙂 Thanks!!

image.jpeg

PM Dr. Evil , he has one.

Mine just has two lines as yours does.  Both bottom ones are capped.  

Nate

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There's a third line INSIDE the blower housing that goes to a hose barb fitting on the crankcase to sense vacuum to operate the pump.  I'd have to check my spare pump but I think the pump had two vacuum ports but only one needs to be hooked up. The one on the back of the pump used on these Onan engines and one on the outside bottom of the pump. The port you have yellow tape on I think is unused.  It's a pain,  tight quarters and odd angles, but put clamps on the two vacuum connections inside the blower housing or you could have a fuel starvation problem that will drive you nuts.

I had a surging problem with my Onan 4-5 years ago.  I had a new fuel pump I'd bought years before, but never installed, long enough ago to forget I paid $105.00 for it!  Problem turned out to be oil soaked ignition points.  But I replaced the pump and no change to the surging problem,  ordered a carb rebuild kit, no change, new spark plugs and no change,  new points & condenser and it ran perfect!  For about 120 hours and it started surging again on the last pass of the last mowing of the year!  There is an electronic ignition module made for these engines,  uses the points at a much reduced amp load so they last almost forever, and the condenser is not needed which is the part that fails.   Anyhow,  I fixed my Onan  problem last spring.  I bought a new Cub Cadet Tank zero turn mower with a 27 HP Kawasaki engine.  I still have the Onan & 982 but don't have to depend on it for 60-80 hours per year for mowing.

Rainman, Nate, Dr.Evil,

Thanks for info. Last Saturday I emptied and cleaned fuel tank, changed the in-line filter and re-filled. I discovered a leak in the fuel tank bush (at the bottom) and replaced. I didn't attempt to start as I wanted to make sure the leak was fixed (it was). Anyhow I started it up tonight and now it goes straight to full revs and sounds like the engine is going to blow-up. So I switched the ignition off to shut the engine down. I tried this about three times all with the same results. Something stuck?

By the way, thanks for the photos - really useful. 

Turns out the connector from the throttle arm to the limiter had come loose. Cut half acre no problem... before belt broke! 

Which belt for 50" Deck ?  954-3006 (Mule Drive ...$59.11+) or 754-3005 (Spindle Belt ....$38.49+) with free ship over $75 in USA @ cubcadet.com