FarmerBrown

H Farmall engine swap

13 posts in this topic

So I had this crazy idea the other day and I'm in need of some advise. I have a H Farmall that went through a barn fire and the engine was appart so that's pretty well tost. But I also have a 656 with a trans that's toast beyond repair. Could I set the 656 in the H for pulling and fun with out major modifications, or am I going to need an adapter? Also will a H Farmall trans hold up to the power of the 656 engine if the internals are good? 

Is is possible, probably. The H rear end should hold up to that horsepower if you are careful and just use it as a toy and not weight it down and throw a big plow behind it all day. However, will it go without major modification.... probably not. You are going from a 152 cubic in. 4 cylinder to a 282 6 cylinder so it will likely be quite a bit longer and wider so it will require an adapter, frame modification, and you will have to find a way to adapt the flywheel/clutch set up. Then you will have to probably make a custom starter mount as the stock starter and location in the bell housing I doubt would match a 656 engine in depth or pattern one you use an adapter. Anything is possible with the right fabrication skills, machine shop, and $$$ but I doubt it would go together without major modifications. It would be an awesome project but would probably involve a lot of different modifications.

Is the 656 a gas or diesel? Either way the frame rails will need lengthened. 

Well I'll start messing around it's a gas motor and the budget is low as usual I'll keep posting my progress thanks guys

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

really like to see you do this because it would prove to everyone that the 656 is descended from the H, not the M like so many people insist.

I always thought a 656 was an updated 560 which had an outdated M transmissionand and rear end.....so how do you figure it was a decended from the H? Just because it was the smallest row crop in that time frame? If thats the case i would argue that the H's spot was basically done away with due to the higher horsepower needs and bigger farms in that time period. Idk just my 2cents.

The 656 comes from the 460, 350 , 300, SH,H. The 560 was the last to use the "M" rear.

Ok so forgive me but if the M rear wouldnt handle the hp what did they do to make an H transmission handle 460 and up hp? 656 had same hp or more as a 560 didnt it? I never really read up on the 460 and 656s i guess.

656 has a small frame bell housing but the rear end is stronger than a M. Dave

Should say that the "lineage" of the 656 goes back to the H, the rear is an updated 460 with a heavier final drive, gearbox and differential. The 666 and 686 would put out at least 70hp so it was certainly strong enough.

Sorry i just always thought , and made sense to me that ih would have used the biggest rear half for that size and hp that they had and assumed it would have been M-560.Learn something all the time.

take a tape measure and measure cl on top of back axle, forward to cl of diff shaft,  (brake hub)  on H, it's 81/2", same as 656. now do same for M,- 560, it's 10".