Sign in to follow this  
Lgarl

Farmall 560 LP Tractor

The 560 was purchased about 3 years ago and has always been difficult to start in cold weather.  We haven't used the tractor a whole lot so it hasn't been worked on to correct the cold starting problem.  Recently I decided to take a go at fixing the cold start problem and went through the LP regulator and carburetor and decided everything appeared to be working according to manual.  I checked spark at #1 cycinder and there was spark but looked to be pretty lazy.  I went through the distributor and the points were gapped correctly and looked to be in pretty good shape but I was surprised to see that there wasn't a condenser in the distributor.  I left the machine for another project and in the mean time my son-in-law used the tractor to lift a concrete cover and it started okay and ran okay.  A few days later I called and asked my son-in-law to bring the tractor to my house and he went out and started the tractor took it to fuel it and shut if off.  When he was finished fueling the tractor it would not start.  I went to see what was the problem and found him sitting at the fuel barrel with the battery charger hooked to the battery and he told me about the events.  We tried a few times to start the tractor but no luck.  I decided it was getting late and we took the air feed pipe off at the carburetor and shot ether into the carburetor and it started.  We put the tractor in the shed for repair at a later time.  I went to shed to check on the no start issue and again went through the LP regulator anc checked pressures etc and everthing was okay.  I checked the spark at the #1 cylinder and discovered there was no spark.  I checked for voltage at the ignition coil and found no voltage present.  I trouble shot the no voltage situation to some kind of switch in front of the fan behind the protective screen.  The tractor is not wired the way it is shown in the manual that I have for the machine and it does not show the mystery switch up in front of the radiator.  The power from the push button starter button delivers 12 volts to the top of a ballast resistor ahead of the ignition coil and then out the bottom of the resistor to the mystery switch in front of the radiator.  Their are two wires coming off the mystery switch, one goes to the + side of the ignition coil and the other goes to the distributor.  There is no power at the coil + terminal and I decided to bypass the mystery switch and hooked the ignition wiring up the way it is shown in the manual.  I now have voltage at the + side of the ignition coil but still no spark at the #1 cylinder.  I decided to check the coil and found it to be no good so I bought a new coil with a ballast resistor and also replaced the points and installed a condenser with the new points a new distributor cap and rotor.  I now have 12.4 volts feeding the ballast resistor and about 7 volts at the + terminal on the ignition coil (this is what I've read the voltage should be at the ignition coil + terminal.  I am still not getting any spark at the #1 cylinder.  I dedided to check the timing again and removed the #1 spark plug and brought the cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke and loosened the distributor and put my 12 volt trouble light to a good ground and touched the wire coming from the - side of the coil where it connects to the distributor and slowly rotated the distributor and see a very faint glow at the wire terminal mentioned above.  I tested the new ignition coil thinking it was faulty and found it to check okay, 1.4 ohms at the primary and about 11K ohms at the secondary).  I don't know what to think and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion.  Thanks so much for the help.

Maybe your points are not grounding very well.  I usually unhook wire at distributor and hook good ohm meter on distributor post and good ground than rotate to open and close points. Should have very low ohm reading when closed.  Sometimes the points corrode where they mate up to distributor and don't ground well. 

You can also route your coil wire so it's close to a good ground. Take wire off distributor and with key on you should be able to make the coil throw a spark by intermittently grounding distributor lug wire. 

You need to fix the no spark before worrying about the timing. Make sure you didnt assemble the points and condensor wrong somehow and accidently ground something out. Did that one time. Very  frustrating.

No experience with a 560- - - - - but lots of experience with L-P on older tractors and trucks here on the farm in years gone by.

Ignition is always the first suspect- - - - you have got to have a hot (blue) spark at the spark plug.

You should be able to take your pocket knife or small screwdriver and manually work the points open/close- - - - - should be getting hot spark at the points- - - then on to the plugs.

In cold weather- - - - - L- P normally requires lots of choke.  In the old days- - - - some of the M's would be cranked off of the vapor side, and then switched to liquid (which is vaporized through the vaporizer).  You may already be aware- - - - but there should be a primer button on the vaporizer for shooting a shot of extra gas into the carb/mixer at start up.

Gas side of the equation is not that crucial- - - - - -IGNITION is.

Good luck- - - - keep us posted.

DD

Delta dirts right on the cold weather start on vapor. In fact i think here in iowa they would run em on vapor in winter, tho i could be wrong. We had a 961 ford dad converted to lp and a minne UB special that was factory propane. I ran them both some tho not usually in cold weather. I remember pushing primer button on the ford, was easy to reach from the seat. Dont ever remember priming the minnie