Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt Kirsch

7110, 7120 Magnum Shopping

10 posts in this topic

I've been looking at 7110 and 7120 Magnums to replace the 1066. Ascribing to the saying that the best 5X88 series to buy is a first generation Magnum.

What's the typical interval between major transmission failures/problems/service?

The prices and hours are all over the place, and I really haven't paid much attention to these series tractors to know what the gotchas and pitfalls are... I don't want to buy one with 5600 hours only to find out that the transmissions need expensive repairs at 6000 hours, for example.

These tractors are reasonably bullet proof. The only catch is with 7110's that have been used with mounted drills or planters and doing pinpoint turns. The 7110, 7210, and 8910 rear end do not have the planets needled. and as such are vulnerable to failure if used for pinpoint turning. The 7120 and 7130 are as bulletproof as any tractor I have ever seen. Just like the M and the 806. Several 7220 near me with 15000 and 20000 hours on them. The one with 15000 hours is original and has been well taken care of. The one with 20000 hours has been rebuilt recently but it has had a hard life with rough drivers. I have a 7120 and a 7130 with 3100 and 4200 hours on them respectively and have had very little major maintenance on them. The only major thing was a new head gasket for the 7120 at 2000 hours. They are both 2 wds.  

Interesting you mention 2WD. How helpless are the 2WD tractors in less than ideal conditions?

We test drove a 2WD 5088 one time on the manure spreader in the winter and that thing was completely helpless in a little bit of mud. Of course it only had 18.4x38's on it.

dont waste your time looking at the 10's  a 71-72-8920 and up would be just fine,and spend the money and get the fwa, you wont regret it later.

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Interesting you mention 2WD. How helpless are the 2WD tractors in less than ideal conditions?

We test drove a 2WD 5088 one time on the manure spreader in the winter and that thing was completely helpless in a little bit of mud. Of course it only had 18.4x38's on it.

They are about average in the 2wd in the amount of mud you can get away with. We use my 7120 2wd to spread in the winter and it does ok for the most part. I've only had trouble spreading manure in the winter 3 times in the 11 years we had it and one of those times was actually a ton of snow I was trying to drag the spreader around in. My 7120 is singled up except for planting time when we put duals on it  (18.4 R42)

We also have a 7120 with FWA that we got before my 2wd one. The reason I went with a 2wd one for our 2nd one was it's the planter tractor. We're still using a 6 row planter. We figured that a FWA one would be hopelessly clumsy on the turns on the headlands, though one of our neighbors does do it with a 7140 FWA without duals and a 6 row planter but it definitely takes some real estate to do it. Yeah a 7120 on a six row is a little overkill but it was a better deal than a Maxum was at the time and it's a backup if the other Magnum goes down. The only reason we don't use the FWA one to spread manure is with the duals on there is one gateway into a barnyard thst I have to back the spreader into that the duals are too wide to fit in.

I will agree with the statement on get a 20 if possible. They just stand up better than the 10s do in the rear end

As for what type of hours the transmission last it completely depends on what and it's being used for. If it is going over the road a whole lot at full speed that is where the transmission starts to give trouble. The reverse clutch pack is the first thing that goes out on ones that are doing just roading of loads of manure or silage. If it is just doing field working not a whole lot of road transport it can last 20,000 plus hours easy.

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Depends on how it is set up. Both of ours have loaded 20.8 R-42 tires. In either singles or duals they are a lot better than 18.4R-42 tires for traction. For us who just use these tractors for tillage, planting, and hauling the 2wd works fine. On the other hand if I was doing winter work like spreading manure or playing in the mud the MFD setup is much better from a traction standpoint and that is what I would have. However you sacrifice turning radius with the MFD setup and that is why they were sold as 2WDs for planter and spraying tractors.  

2wd is 2wd, but even a 2wd Magnum is plenty capable.  My brother has 2 7140s, one of each.  The MFD is a klutz, no other way to describe it.  The 2 wheeler has good 18.4-42 Firestone 23* radials with duals and it pulls pretty well.  Years ago, before the MFD, he rented a JD disk ripper.  It was ALL the 2wd wanted, but it did pull it.  My nephew was talking to a neighbor about the JD disk ripper once, neighbor asked what were you pulling it with?  A 2wd 7140.  There was a long pause, then "and what were you pulling the 7140 with?"

they are pretty solid tractors and yes the prices are all over the place. i bought a 7240 with 8000 hours 2 years ago and so far it's been trouble free aside from a few minor things. as for 2wd vs mfwd the 2wd will turn might better but it sure is nice having power to the front when you need it. they also seem to be priced about the same so it's not like you'd save a bunch by looking for a 2wd but again prices are all over the place so never know what kind of deals you'll come across.

if you're looking at a mfwd check the front hubs for leaks, can be pretty expensive to fix. also shift, throttle and clutch cables are common issues and not horrible to fix but the ones i've done have been about $200 per cable. another thing would be the accumulators, again not a huge issue to fix but i believe i spent about $300 for the one i replaced. of course be aware of any leaks it may have. oil pan is fairly common and i've been told requires the tractor to be split. front drive shaft can also leak where it exits the transmission, there's some O rings in there that require the tractor to be split

go with the MFWD we have a 7120 and it will pull like a freight train I've had all 4 spinning and the tires on the implement stop turning it mud and it always pulls through

have about 7000 hrs on ours haven't had to do any serious work at all on it and hearing there is lots hitting the 10-15000 hrs range I hope to have it a while yet

Just change the oils as the book says and it will last for ever