Sign in to follow this  
Stevetd9

Td9 block

If you mean the one that is just above the spark plug wire in photo 1, the parts book calls it a "distributor hole expansion plug". I have no idea why they call it that, I have never seen a distributor installed in that hole, but it is right above the gear on the camshaft that would drive one. It is also above the drive for the oil pump. What is missing off the block down at the bottom beside the oil dip stick?

George

At the opposite end of the distributor hole expansion plug inside the motor there is a hole same size as that top plug where all my oil pressure is dumping out when I prime the oil galleries with a hand pump, is there sposed to be another Welsh plug at the bottom end of the distributor expansion hole?? 

If you look down the block that chamber where the plug is runs all the way to the bottom of block to the sump, where all my oil is going, what are the 2 holes on the outside half way down are they for oil pressure guage etc ?

I am working off a parts book for the TD 9, it looks like yours machine is a TD91 series. My book does not show the machined boss at the bottom of the block next to the dipstick. I went out to look at my TD91 but it is buried under a couple feet of snow right now so that is no help. I do have a td91 series block in the garage, but that side of the engine is up against the wall. With a flashlight and a mirror I can see there are two holes, top one has a hex head bolt and it looks like a copper washer under the head to seal it. The lower one is smaller and has an allen head set screw plugging it. your photo looks like the bottom hole is bigger than the top hole and not threaded. Am I right. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea. Oil pressure line on mine connects to the block behind the oil filter.

George

My TD91 has a hex bolt in the top hole and a sending unit screwed into the bottom hole, I assume it's an electrical oil pressure sending unit. Mine isn't attached to a gauge, I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Can send a picture later if you want.

I think North of 60 is right. Where mine has the Allen screw looks to be 1/8th inch pipe thread, the size a sending unit might be. And I think there is an oil gallery that runs from behind the oil filter past that open hole all the way to the front.

George 

Yes you are both right the 2 threaded holes are the same for a oil guage of sum sort,well they screw into that plugged cylinder for the distributor and mine is open at the bottom inside the motor, oil galleries pass through it on both sides but it all just runs out the bottom, its like there is sposed to be another plug their, alook at another inside of a block would solve it to see if its plugged or not

9 hours ago, trucker1 said:

I am working off a parts book for the TD 9, it looks like yours machine is a TD91 series. My book does not show the machined boss at the bottom of the block next to the dipstick. I went out to look at my TD91 but it is buried under a couple feet of snow right now so that is no help. I do have a td91 series block in the garage, but that side of the engine is up against the wall. With a flashlight and a mirror I can see there are two holes, top one has a hex head bolt and it looks like a copper washer under the head to seal it. The lower one is smaller and has an allen head set screw plugging it. your photo looks like the bottom hole is bigger than the top hole and not threaded. Am I right. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea. Oil pressure line on mine connects to the block behind the oil filter.

George

Holes in side are same, doe's it say what size that distributor plug is in the book?

No size in the parts book for the expansion plug, just a part number. Has this motor been apart?? Or did it suddenly lose oil pressure? There is a steel line that goes from the balancer assembly/oil pump in these 91 series motors that I believe plugs into the hole where you are losing all the oil. but you would have to drop the oil pan to see what has happened.

George

Someone rebuilt motor few years ago and it hadn't bin run so there's half my drama,I know the line you're talking bout I can see that its all hooked up rite, there's a hole same size as distributor pung on inside of block,I'll try get a photo of it , can't get sump rite off as back bolts real hard to get at,my guess its bin forgot to be put back in or fell out hence the rebuild

1 hour ago, trucker1 said:

No size in the parts book for the expansion plug, just a part number. Has this motor been apart?? Or did it suddenly lose oil pressure? There is a steel line that goes from the balancer assembly/oil pump in these 91 series motors that I believe plugs into the hole where you are losing all the oil. but you would have to drop the oil pan to see what has happened.

George

Here are the pics, look carefully you'll see machined hole which is the bottom of the distributor hole

IMG_20170320_115340.jpg

There should be a pipe from the oil pump stuffed into that hole. I got excited this morning and flopped my spare motor over onto it's side this morning and took the oil pan off. The pipe runs from the front of the oil pump/balancer assembly around the balancer and up to that hole.

DSCN1030.thumb.JPG.8049e0967186db0367690f3e1786125c.JPG

And how it attaches to the front of the balancer at the oil pump. Please disregard the dirt and rust. That is not supposed to be in there but a family of mice thought different.

DSCN1031.thumb.JPG.964641bc70fffccddd8c182435e3281d.JPG

George

That's abig help thankyou,wat is that other straight pipe is that just a dipstick tube??

Also how does it atach up into the block that tube? As the hole is bigger then that tube

Steve,

I dropped a parts breakdown of the pump/balancer assembly in the Engine Form that shows all of the parts that you will need to make your engine pump oil.

Redwood

6 minutes ago, Redwood said:

Steve,

I dropped a parts breakdown of the pump/balancer assembly in the Engine Form that shows all of the parts that you will need to make your engine pump oil.

Redwood

OK thanks heaps I'll have a look

the pipe next to the tube is the end of the dipstick tube. the dipstick does not just stick down into the oil, it stays inside the tube and the oil inside the tube stay "calm" while the engine is running. that is why you can check the oil while the engine is running, and there are two marks on the stick, engine stopped and engine running. I "think" there is an "O" ring on the tube up inside the block, but it has been 15 or so years since I had this motor apart and the old memory just don't work like it used to.

George

OK cheers my dipstick bit different but is all good, just got to find parts now, would you ever sell the bits I neef off that motor if I can't find parts in Australia??

My plans for this motor is to rebuild it and put it back in the Drott loader it came from. Of course that was the plan 15 years ago when I pulled it out (cracked head and burned pistons) and put another motor in it's place. That motor is getting pretty tired now, so I guess now is the time for me to do it, get the machine back to original. There are lots of places listed in the sticky at the top of the forum who can supply almost all parts you would need.

George

glad someone figured this out for you steve td9 guess my parts book is too old doesn't show the different oil pump like yours there is a wealth of knowledge here on this site even more than is/are in the books for these machines and I have thanked God for them many times russ

On 23/03/2017 at 11:09 AM, russ said:

glad someone figured this out for you steve td9 guess my parts book is too old doesn't show the different oil pump like yours there is a wealth of knowledge here on this site even more than is/are in the books for these machines and I have thanked God for them many times russ

Thanks is there any where in USA where I can source the parts I need as I'm in Australia

On 21/03/2017 at 11:12 PM, trucker1 said:

My plans for this motor is to rebuild it and put it back in the Drott loader it came from. Of course that was the plan 15 years ago when I pulled it out (cracked head and burned pistons) and put another motor in it's place. That motor is getting pretty tired now, so I guess now is the time for me to do it, get the machine back to original. There are lots of places listed in the sticky at the top of the forum who can supply almost all parts you would need.

George

Hi George what do you mean by the sticky at the top of the forum? Where do I look to search for parts?

Under the construction heading the top 3 threads are pinned up top .One is serial number info , one is parts sources and the last is lists of junkyards