Sign in to follow this  
Cp 856

1486 turbo

Cp 856    0

I have a 1486 that I am replacing the muffler with an eliminator when I got the muffler off I noticed that the exhaust side of the turbo housing is pitted and pretty rough looking when you look back behind the vanes it looks pretty bad too. So I am thinking about replacing the turbo now while I have everything apart. My question is should I upgrade turbos or go back stock the tractor is my big tractor gets used for chisel plowing to running round baler and everything in between. It is set about 25 to 30hp over stock is the $400 more for a 3lm worth it?

Jeff-C-IL    0

I totally agree.  Had big turbos on 1066, 1486, 4386.  No question it improves things.  Just be intelligent and watch your temps etc, until you get a feel for it.  Our 1486 always had trouble with overheating...not because of the larger turbo, it just did...and you had to be careful pulling hard on hot days.  

Thesd5488    0

You should be able to buy the s2e four around 400 I get mine a baahfarmrepair  605-934-3594

Cp 856    0

Thanks for the help I will probably go with a better turbo than stock now I just have to decide which one

Injpumped    0

Thanks for the plug, but I'm no where close to 400 bucks. I'm not sure who is selling that cheap, but that is way below my cost even! Maybe I should buy mine from him lol!

Thesd5488    0
25 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

Thanks for the plug, but I'm no where close to 400 bucks. I'm not sure who is selling that cheap, but that is way below my cost even! Maybe I should buy mine from him lol!

I put a few on last year pretty sure they were around Tha 400 they were actually cheaper then a 3lm 

Jeff-C-IL    0

I've seen both the 3LM and the S2E  numbers thrown around a lot.  I know pulling tractors are different than field tractors.  I've got an oversize turbo on the old 4386, and had them on the 1066 and 1486, and wouldn't run the 14 or 43 w/o.  Don't know as it improved the 1066 smaller motor that much. Can't remember what they were now.  Can somebody elucidate on which turbo would work best for which applications, it might help clear up confusion between the farm use/pulling tractor difference!

The turbo threads are like oil threads.  LOL.  I use one turbo and one turbo only.  The 3lm-466 is the only one I use from a 1066 to 5488.  I sell them here.  Only turbo i have used for 25 years.  Go to big and u have no low end.

Mike

jobee1066    0

3LM or an S2 wI'll work great.  I run a S2 on my 1486 and love it.

MAGNUM    0

stick with the 3LM, i put a S2E on my 1466 and it didnt wake up till you turned the pump up to 200 hp, so unless you want to run 200+ hp all the time just put the 3LM on

1967806    0
8 hours ago, MAGNUM said:

stick with the 3LM, i put a S2E on my 1466 and it didnt wake up till you turned the pump up to 200 hp, so unless you want to run 200+ hp all the time just put the 3LM on

We like running at the 200 HP mark over here. :D

Thesd5488    0
24 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

We like running at the 200 HP mark over here. :D

I thought if under 200 the pump was bad

Pete1468    0
27 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

I thought if under 200 the pump was bad

The scary part is that's a true statement from you!😂

1066lover    0

I run 3LM 466 on both my 1066. Does the S2 offer any advantage? One tractor has 11mm head in pump and 414 the other has a 466 with an inline pump. Don't really need anymore power but not afraid of it either