Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TroyDairy

1979 S1900

15 posts in this topic

We got a little ol IH 20' flat deck for running hay from barns etc.  Was a BC Canada Plow truck with a knuckle boom as well when we got it.  60k miles and the cab frt door sills are rusty but she is dead nuts reliable and tough.  Dbl frame, 466, 5+2, wet brakes, Vickers belt drove hydro pump, we added a pto when we got it since we stuck a small mixer box on for feeding dry cow.  Was heavy but the belt drive we made for the box was frankly genius and worked great.  So....

SO, other day dad and i we getting some dry cow hay from the shed and he comes in driveway and says "near no brakes".  I look, no oil.  Ummmm....add some and tell him to pump.  Dang, oil pouring out of rt rear drum.  OK...bad wheel cyl.  Call a friend who owes us for manure (custom spreader biz and heck of mechanic) and ask him whats involved.  He says "you know I owe you $ for last season yet?".  He did the clutch last spring for me.  Run it around the block (like 1.5 miles as the crow) and he gets to it.  Calls me day later, "uh oh".  6"x17" shoes...cracked and lining gone".  For 200 we can reline but when the lining let go it jamed up hard and cracked the area around the main pivot hole on the shoes so they wont reline them b/c of integrity.  I get it.  It is the heaviest single axle rig you've seen.  It took him a while to find a clutch even b/c it was some odd spec extra heavy deal.  So we cannot find new shoes anywhere either of us have looked.  Found a guy parting a 2100 on CL.  Had 15" shoes and full hub assemblies, we went down and he gave them to us.  Figured just swap it all.  NO GO....hub bolt pattern is about 1" smaller circle.  He has the entire rearend so my brother was going to call him and see what he wanted for the entire unit.  I am out 250 for both hubs assemblies as of now.  Does ANYONE have a lead for me for correct 6x17 shoes!!!  Seal kit was like $25!

Thanks

Many S1900's were equipped with Wagner 16" X 6" (drum inside diameter X shoe width) hydraulic rear brakes. How are you measuring things? The 16' X 6" brake has an upper and lower dual piston wheel cylinder, with an upper and lower shoe support. 16" X 6" shoes do not have a pivot hole on the shoe, they have a flat end that rests on a pivot pin, the pivot pin fits in a hole in the shoe support (anchor), the other side of the support contains the star wheel and adjuster screw for the other shoe. If the hole in the support is broken, the shoes should be able to be relined. But the support needs to be replaced, there is a hidden rivet that secures the support to the backing plate.The rivet is behind the pivot pin. The shoe does have a "forked" end on one end that the wheel cylinder push pin fits into. Is that what is cracked? I think I may have lining, and will check on shoe assemblies.
Also oil? I sure hope you added D.O.T. 3 hydraulic brake fluid, not oil.

2 hours ago, TRAVELETTE said:

Many S1900's were equipped with Wagner 16" X 6" (drum inside diameter X shoe width) hydraulic rear brakes. How are you measuring things? The 16' X 6" brake has an upper and lower dual piston wheel cylinder, with an upper and lower shoe support. 16" X 6" shoes do not have a pivot hole on the shoe, they have a flat end that rests on a pivot pin, the pivot pin fits in a hole in the shoe support (anchor), the other side of the support contains the star wheel and adjuster screw for the other shoe. If the hole in the support is broken, the shoes should be able to be relined. But the support needs to be replaced, there is a hidden rivet that secures the support to the backing plate.The rivet is behind the pivot pin. The shoe does have a "forked" end on one end that the wheel cylinder push pin fits into. Is that what is cracked? I think I may have lining, and will check on shoe assemblies.
Also oil? I sure hope you added D.O.T. 3 hydraulic brake fluid, not oil.

Yes brake oil!

The tape measure says 16x6, i re looked.  He went to a few other truck shops locally and they all said, "oh oh".  There are 1 size little bigger and one size little smaller but them are the odd duck.  Guy has 50 years experience so I am comfortable with his words.  Let me get a pic and maybe you have better info.

got it!

20170314_095442_1489510499388_zpsn7efy1w

20170314_093326_1489510502448_zpsu9wmcwp

Yes, this is the Wagner 16 X 6 brake. IH and Ford used it. Catalogs list it for GM and Dodge, but I have never seen one with it. The hole with the crack near it is the guide bolt hole. Your brake is the self-adjusting version, but I would guess that it hasn't for years. Are the star wheel adjusters and pivot pins frozen in the supports? The pivot pins need to be free to turn in the supports. It looks like the teeth are stripped off the lower adjuster star wheel. Is all the self-adjusting linkage still intact?

REALLY appreciated the call Jeff.  Thank you a ton.  As normal Redpower=class act!  I talked to the mechanic and yes several small parts were scattered in the drum with lining.  We are having a pow wow tomorrow and will decide if swapping the axle with parts truck we got hubs off of will be next.  for $200 the guy will sell it and we have to pull/torch it out.  About 50 miles away but what do ya do?  All to move some hay and scrap few times a year!  Always my luck...

There is a truck yard in Jackson Minnesota that has a lot of stuff. And one in northern Minnesota ( luckens) It doesn't look that odd to me I will have to look what we have laying around I know we changed shoes on our 1850  a few years ago. it had the heavy axle. They are under the snow now though

It has the 23k lbs axle.  16x6 hydro full auto adjust brakes.  Very odd, the hubs won't work with the 15" standard ones even.  The mechanic said parts are katty whampus or broke making this more nuts.  

I would google ericksons truck salvage in mn, or try luckens truck parts in winger mn they have some stuff like that maybe would have a set you can reline. I have found some older ih stuff from ericksons.

We are getting a dif axle.  The one that donated the brakes.  Not worth the $ to ship 200# brakes!

Well....Brother went with dad the get axle 45 min s.  No work, skinnier, spring mounts way dif.  Ugh.....maybe find another with bad engine?  For 30 hrs a year hard to get too excited.  Maybe sell as is and use $ for spreader set up on Freightliner. 

Neighbor sold a 26' flatbed and another farmer put it on a wagon chassis and it made a nice hay wagon for hauling round bales in 

On 4/5/2017 at 7:49 PM, bitty said:

Neighbor sold a 26' flatbed and another farmer put it on a wagon chassis and it made a nice hay wagon for hauling round bales in 

Dad made a Big round bale cart for his brother.  Started with a school bus chassis from local junk yard.  He found some 5 or 6 inch pipe somewhere cheap, about 10 ft lengths.  Dad removed the rear axle with the dual wheels which I would have kept.  He welded the kingpins in the front axle solid so the axle didn't steer and mounted it in place of the rear axle with single tires.  The big pipe/tubing layer on top of the frame rails as bale saddles.  Think he had room for 4 bales behind the wheels and 6 bales in front.  He cut the frame flanges and bent the rails together to make the hitch.  Plenty strong,  He said He had smoke rolling out the top of his Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC when he was welding some of the heavy steel.  

Dad worked on it for a month or so.  Pulled it the 15+ miles to his brothers place behind his S-15 4 cylinder GMC pickup.  His brother pulled it with his H.  I forget what Uncle's big tractor was,  but next time Dad was over there it was hooked to his Big tractor with 18 bales on it!  That's why I would have kept the dual drive axle under it!  Wasn't ANYTHING Uncle couldn't tear up if he put his mind to it!

Troy; I was doing a brake parts search for a neighbor and Wagner Brake web site says that the Wagner 16X6 parts are available through Advance Auto Parts, and one Carquest store was mentioned, as well as Factory Auto Parts. Don't know if this helps. Your people back there should be knowledgeable. If there is an assembly sticker somewhere in the cab, giving the truck components, that should shed some light on the subject.  LE