So a question for you toy gurus. I have a National Farm Toy Museum 1086. Grandpa purchased a 1086 identical to this toy in 1978 but got DMI rear dual wheels with it at the time of purchase. I am wanting to paint the rear wheels white to match Grandpas tractor.  He is almost 91 and I think he would get a kick out of seeing a toy version.  Where is the best place to find DMI white for the dual wheels? Maybe it's an industry secret, but how do some of you detail toy guys go about doing something like that?  I figured I would be better off to ask than mess something up.  Am I better off to send it to someone for customization vs trying to do it myself?  Options and opinions welcomed

Check Dakotah toys , I think they would have what you're looking for.

Alan

On 3/13/2017 at 10:01 PM, Alan Dinan said:

Check Dakotah toys , I think they would have what you're looking for.

Alan

I looked before posting this originally and again after you mentioned this. The paint they have are name brand cans like you buy at a dealer. 

I think they have white plastic ones that are close in color

Alan

I'm working a little north west of you this week, we're wrecking a stack in Salem

Alan

I'm probably too picky. This has metal precision wheels on it and I would like to keep these wheels. 

Just now, Alan Dinan said:

I'm working a little north west of you this week, we're wrecking a stack in Salem

Alan

Yeah, that is probably a little over an hour away. 

I'm about an hour and a half west and south. I was trying to pm you but it isn't working.

Alan

This is what I would do and have....if you don't want to go to Dakotah Toys and have to paint, and you don't want plastic ones, buy the 1206 50th anniversary tractor and swap the rear outer wheels.  You should be able to keep the inners since they are red and the axle should work.  If not, make your own 3/16" axle and you can get that from Lowes or HD.  If it doesn't line up with the caps, cut it shorter and jb weld it or super glue it and put back the outer axel cap covers.

I put the outer 1206 white dual rims on a red cabbed 1066 and it made it look sharp.

ih 1066 white duals.jpg

4 minutes ago, 1466IHVA1466 said:

This is what I would do and have....if you don't want to go to Dakotah Toys and have to paint, and you don't want plastic ones, buy the 1206 50th anniversary tractor and swap the rear outer wheels.  You should be able to keep the inners since they are red and the axle should work.  If not, make your own 3/16" axle and you can get that from Lowes or HD.  If it doesn't line up with the caps, cut it shorter and jb weld it or super glue it and put back the outer axel cap covers.

I put the outer 1206 white dual rims on a red cabbed 1066 and it made it look sharp.

Thanks for the info. I am not against painting but want DMI white if I do and not IH white. Dakotah toys does not have that color as I believe it was actually different. Your suggestion of the 1206 duals sounds by far the easiest route. I have made 3/16" axles in the past from mild steel rods but had to make my own end caps.

What does it take to remove the dual wheels?  I am not a pro customizer and don't want to break anything trying to thread something off that is solid or something silly like that. 

Todd take a hacksaw and "groove" your axles and then use a "c" clip.  Eason

1 hour ago, Eason said:

Todd take a hacksaw and "groove" your axles and then use a "c" clip.  Eason

That's a good idea. Thanks Eason

The other one I did I got a press nut, ground the rim off, and pressed it on finishing with black paint. 

3B5C38FB-745D-4AAE-B9FA-678C314BB954_zps

I put precision wheels on a Lafayette Toy show 1468. Just needs some wheels weights now to look good and still be a toy when Junior and I get to carpet farming in a few years. 

Twist and pull off the wheels.  No need to cut.  That is what I do and have been successful on all the new prestige tractors for any model.

1 minute ago, 1466IHVA1466 said:

Twist and pull off the wheels.  No need to cut.  That is what I do and have been successful on all the new prestige tractors for any model.

Ok, thanks for the info.  I did pick up a set of the white wheels you mentioned.  They weren't cheap but were cheaper than purchasing the entire scale model.  I will try and pull the wheels off of it and see how much stuff I break :)

I lay it on its side, then anchor my feet on the bottom wheel on the inside and just twist and pull up with your hands on the top side wheel.  Sometimes you don't have to do that and they come off with just using both hands on a table.  Good luck.

So these duals were tougher than my size 13 feet could pull apart as suggested but I was able to overcome the obstacle with a hammer and punch not tearing anything up. I am very pleased with the final results and hope Grandpa will like the fact that I took the time to make it look like his.  I will show it to him in a few weeks on his 91st B-Day. 

Finished product vs the real thing. 

31C2CAE7-6ACF-4B3D-B09B-C19785E365A9_zps

CEB27673-ED95-43D7-A14C-54B9CCDEBD6C_zps

The real one has flame cut front weights and the rain cap is 180* off but that's about it. 

One more just for fun. 

4B290346-193D-468A-A889-2543E5B369BB_zps

Looks good.  I meant if they are single wheeled you can twist and pull.  With duals, I use a hammer and punch as well.

That's really neat to have a replica so realistic in detail to the real one. I'm sure your Grandpa will like it!  I'd call it a success!

LOOKING GOOD SLEDGE