560Dennis

Maple Syrup Season

45 posts in this topic

How is this maple syrup season going? 

I havnt done it a couple of years. Burnt up the turkey fryer pan. So I buy local now . 

We collected some but its cold again so we will wait til it warms up again.

Made a tick over a gallon last weekend.  Had about 100 gallons collected, but the temps here in Iowa got to 70, so it started to ferment quickly and the flow slowed down to a trickle.   On my peak days I was getting about 10 gallons of sap per day from 9 taps.  Yesterday, had less than a quart from the same number of taps.  I had time to cook only one batch and had to dump the rest of the sap as it was starting to smell.

We finished 42 gallons so far. We have had 2 decent runs but the sugar content is pretty low for this early in the season, only tested 2.0 and with r.o. thats a lot of wood to get it boiled down!

Everyone is saying sugars content is down, we got line streached today, I'm trying to add 200+ taps this year going to tap buckets tomorrow and run around and tap pipeline in the afternoon. Stay tuned, it's early yet. Im not too worried. I'm kind of late this year oh well. 

Good luck you guys, this winter just seems weird, I forgot all about it cause I ve ot seen any activity 

Have read most of the info here on the subject, but have two questions.

1. How large are the taps?

2. Do you plug them after the collecting season?

3. One more. What is the effect on the tree after multiple taps made on the trunk?

I have always wanted to try making my own syrup. Used to work with a guy who had done some. Lee it is my understanding you pull the taps aftet season is over and hole grows shut. There are rules of thumb on how big a tree has to be before you can tap it and how many you can put in it based on size of tree. I dont remember now what my buddie told me those rules were. I think it took something like 40 gal of sap to make a gal of syrup from silver maples..other breeds of trees was like 10 gal less to make a gal of syrup. Just what i remember of top of my head. Im sure i have some of the facts a bit off.

Funny, I was putting a gutter on my shop and there were a few branches from the maple next to it that I had to lop off. The sap poured out of them so fast that I had to cut them back some more to to keep from getting soaked. It got cold that night and I had huge sapscicles hanging off the tree.

I've heard it 's been one of the earliest sap runs in southern NH ever. It's probably been too warm at night for good quality production.

8 hours ago, W30 Lee said:

3. One more. What is the effect on the tree after multiple taps made on the trunk?

1.  The taps I use are 7/16 diameter- tapered tap.

2.  No,  the holes will plug themselves.  Only time I put a plug in is if there is a gusher and it creates a problem where people step or the wind blows it onto vehicles.  Doesn't take long for the tree to heal. One time I forgot about a tap, went to pull it in late april, and the tree had already grown around it enough that I couldn't pull it with my tools.

3.  Rule of thumb for taps is 1 tap per 12 inches, no more than 3 total taps. (some sources say only 2 per tree).  Then each year, you want to stay out of the same vertical and horizontal plane as the previous year's tap.  A random spot tends to work better.   Perhaps the professionals that do this over the decades can chime in on this.  

Went past the neighbors place tonight and he had hung the buckets again. He runs about 1500 taps or so. Have not seen him to ask how the year has been..

Guys started tapping in January here this year and had a couple decent runs in January. Normal is March here. reports I have heard so far indicate excellent quality and quanity. Said the first stuff in January the finished product was crystal clear when done and super sweet.  Most everything is on tubing here. Few bags and buckets but mostly tubing. Heard that this is last year NYS will allow galvanized buckets and taps to be used. Everything must be stainless starting next year.

We tried birch syrup here, ithe flavor was a bit overpowering.  We had heated it to much.  So after reading a little bit we hope to try a very small reverse osmosis to keep the flavor better.

has anyone used one of these units for this?

22 hours ago, W30 Lee said:

https://www.tapmytrees.com

here is a site that will help. 

1. Tap s I used were 5/16 but they are bigger .

2 . Don't have to do anything pull tap ,tree will heal ,. Note don't tap frozen tree the trap driven in will split tree. 

3. I think 8 inch is Minium for one tap I like 10 .  Don't put to many in tree it will stress it out , you will know it by the leaves that develop the tree will look bare. 

Hope this helps you ,watch ,youtubes and read up on does and don't s ,ask question s from you neighbors or extension office .

you can tap other maples than sugar , they will contain more water and sugar content will be less . But syrup is good for home table , I think ,there  are boxwood elders that can be tapped also ,have not done that . 

good luck have fun

In my earlier post I meant to say no r.o. The sap has sweetened some with yesterday's run, it's at 2.6 now. My buckets on my lawn managed a nice 3.1😀 We are up to about 60 gallons with more to finish tonight.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:55 AM, 560Dennis said:

you can tap other maples than sugar

Never knew that silver leaf maples were good for anything but getting torn up in storm damage. They do make good shade but have to fight the seeds all the time.  LE

Had a good run yesterday, boiled about 1200 gallons of sap. We are at 102 gallons of syrup now, a record for month of February for us by far. We are keeping our fingers crossed for the weather to get back to normal now, it was 62 today!

On February 28, 2017 at 4:12 PM, W30 Lee said:

Never knew that silver leaf maples were good for anything but getting torn up in storm damage. They do make good shade but have to fight the seeds all the time.  LE

Have 2 sugar and 3 silver , the silver really pump out the sap ,but they are about a week later than sugar , but they are ok for small operator . 

Got a lot of red maple on farm ,never tried them . 

My experience with the silver maples is that they average 50:1 ratio where most of the others are in the 40:1 ratio.   Best yield I had was in 2014 at a 38:1 ratio, but it was a very late season and all of the syrup with the extremely dark and potent stuff.

I have to confess that tapping trees and cooking sap is for younger and better men than I.  I cheat.  My last five gallons of syrup was down to the last half gallon about six weeks ago.  I was not too far from my syrup guy in Wyoming county, NY so gave a call.  He said that supply was a little short but stop by and he would see what he could  do.  This was a Monday and customers hit him hard on the weekend.  He was going to cook that night (year around operation).  Did that and ended up with four gallons, which was fine.  That will last us the better part of a year.   I like inventory better than running out of stuff frequently.  Just the way I am.  Get it off my head that way.  I have to lay down a few dollars at a time, but in this case I do not mind at all.  They are good folks with a great product and treat me well.  Makes handing over the money lots easier.

Charlie

3 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Have 2 sugar and 3 silver , the silver really pump out the sap ,but they are about a week later than sugar , but they are ok for small operator . 

Got a lot of red maple on farm ,never tried them . 

Red and silver get buddy quicker and the have a lower sugar content. 

3rd boil for us tonight, brings season total to 37gallons

Following the D14 up the road now, early night for me! More tomorrow then it'll shut down for a week or so...I hate march.

Following the D14 up the road now, early night for me! More tomorrow then it'll shut down for a week or so...I hate march.