Baradium

Drum Mowers

33 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, rcb said:r

Glad you got something that works for you! I was really debating the same question but the biggest advantage seemed to be speed. However terrain seems to limit my speed on cutting, not the equipment. I've heard some guys doing 12mph while mowing. Driving across most of our fields in a jeep at 12mph can be a bit challenging with the hill contours and other obstacles. Nothing I'd even want to attempt on a tractor. 4-5mph is about as fast as I ever mow and the sickle bar mowers have proven well for me. I do keep my eye out of a drum mower for the edge but I don't seem to have much issue now so it's definitely a tertiary concern for me.

Thank you.   Really, the biggest advantage to me seems to be that it will cut through anything more than speed you can go.  We are still seeing an advantage if we ted the hay, (we've done a cutting with tedding and without so far) but it's not nearly as significant as it was before.   I really like the simplicity of the machine as well. 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:18 PM, 660 driver said:

We mowed for years with horse drawn sickle mowers and crimped behind them with a cunnigham crimper. Worked great. Very rarely broke down. Modern sickle mowers have provision for powering and pulling crimpers behind them. You can mow all day with that setup error free and its cheap....like under 1000$ dollars cheap!

If you can find me that setup for under $1000 I would be pretty happy to buy one to try.    I was looking at nearly the same price for a larger sickle mower  (9') as we paid for this drum mower.   While the smaller ones than that were cheaper, the mower alone was looking to be well over $1000.  

39 minutes ago, Baradium said:

If you can find me that setup for under $1000 I would be pretty happy to buy one to try.    I was looking at nearly the same price for a larger sickle mower  (9') as we paid for this drum mower.   While the smaller ones than that were cheaper, the mower alone was looking to be well over $1000.  

Where u located?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, 660 driver said:

Where u located?

Salcha, Alaska

hello,

Drum movers it will cut anything you try to cut even fence posts. I have a reese 2070 hl mower. its not made in usa . But i have had it for 8 years. i cut  80 acres of hay 2 too 3 times a year.  The  reese that i have has a tetter attachment. belts and knives is all I have replaced.  I cut rake and bale on the third day 95 percent of the time.

I have cut hay while lightly raining with out a problem. it works for me.

18 hours ago, Baradium said:

Salcha, Alaska

Ya I then smacked myself in the head and went duh! Thats after I looked at your sig line! Now I understand why things are so spendy for ya. Best I can tell ya is to find something in the lower 48 and get it trucked up to ya. Ill keep an eye out on clist.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:31 PM, 660 driver said:

Ya I then smacked myself in the head and went duh! Thats after I looked at your sig line! Now I understand why things are so spendy for ya. Best I can tell ya is to find something in the lower 48 and get it trucked up to ya. Ill keep an eye out on clist.

Yeah, that's the problem we have.  Plus a lot of the ag around here went bust long ago when the military stopped trying to purchase locally.  There are a lot of places that used to be farms that you can't tell were ever developed from wilderness now.   With the distances involved it's hard to commit to buying something used without being able to give it a once over and then shipping means adding a lot of money to the price.  That made a reconditioned drum mower with a warranty a lot more appealing too.  

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, BobLang said:

hello,

Drum movers it will cut anything you try to cut even fence posts. I have a reese 2070 hl mower. its not made in usa . But i have had it for 8 years. i cut  80 acres of hay 2 too 3 times a year.  The  reese that i have has a tetter attachment. belts and knives is all I have replaced.  I cut rake and bale on the third day 95 percent of the time.

I have cut hay while lightly raining with out a problem. it works for me.

The one we got is a Reese 3400, they don't made a tedder attachment for these larger ones but when I was talking to the Reese people at tigerco the idea seemed really appealing.    I've cut in the rain already... the mower can definitely cut in a wider range of conditions than my tractor can operate in.