Sign in to follow this  
766redpower

86 series levers

A lot of good comments from Gleaner K2, 856 Custom and Reichow7120.

I will add one more piece to the discussion:  In the early 1970's IH was rolling out the 74 series, as the 66 series was hitting their prime.  If you know them (Dad bought a new 674 in 1974 and an awesome tractor), the operator layout is almost the same as the 86 series.  If you had a smaller 74 series in the yard and jumped into your 86 series, it was nearly the same operating, so a "seamless" transition.  I don't think that was coincidental by IH...nor did it end there as the 74 series carried on as the 84 and after the merger the 95 series, which all in ran for about 25 years......so I guess the design was OK!

To me the whole 86 series operator layout is circular with comments made by the above noted gents well said and placed.

And yes.......I am more than a little partial to the 86 series......

P1020862.JPG

1 hour ago, Tripp said:

A lot of good comments from Gleaner K2, 856 Custom and Reichow7120.

I will add one more piece to the discussion:  In the early 1970's IH was rolling out the 74 series, as the 66 series was hitting their prime.  If you know them (Dad bought a new 674 in 1974 and an awesome tractor), the operator layout is almost the same as the 86 series.  If you had a smaller 74 series in the yard and jumped into your 86 series, it was nearly the same operating, so a "seamless" transition.  I don't think that was coincidental by IH...nor did it end there as the 74 series carried on as the 84 and after the merger the 95 series, which all in ran for about 25 years......so I guess the design was OK!

To me the whole 86 series operator layout is circular with comments made by the above noted gents well said and placed.

And yes.......I am more than a little partial to the 86 series......

P1020862.JPG

That is one sweet looking tri-stripe 986 there Tripp. :wub:. Our 986 when we had it wasn't even that good. Ours was a 79 model. Spent my childhood behind the seat on it until I got put to work and couldn't fit back there. (I was a big boy that grew into a bigger man). Every now and then I miss our 986. Don't get me wrong I love the 7120 Magnum Dad traded it in on and wouldn't wish it away for anything, but sometimes I wish we could have bought the 7120 without trading the 986 in. Guess some of that might be that it's a link to my childhood and simpler times. 

Like the 86's just fine. Those doors are NOT backwards. Any other tractor with a cab that you can reach every control from standing on the ground? I am 6'6" but still they are handy. Only ones you stuck on the shift levers are the early ones before they leaned them back a little. Short hydraulic levers, where do you guys put your arms when relaxed? Are they straight out to side, on top of your head or hanging down? Put your hand right on those hydraulic levers and hold all three in your hand at once always know which one you have. They are easier than those tall suckers in my 88. Ever have have a shoulder issue? Had to run the levers with my left hand cause I couldn't get my arm up there, but no problem in the 86. I just get tired of people whining about how crappy the 86 series was. If you don't like them don't buy one. We do not want to hear about it. I don't continually go on about how rotten a 4430 or 4630 is. By the way for you whiners, ice cream is supposed to be cold. Rant over, y'all can call me a troll now.

2 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Like the 86's just fine. Those doors are NOT backwards. Any other tractor with a cab that you can reach every control from standing on the ground? I am 6'6" but still they are handy. Only ones you stuck on the shift levers are the early ones before they leaned them back a little. Short hydraulic levers, where do you guys put your arms when relaxed? Are they straight out to side, on top of your head or hanging down? Put your hand right on those hydraulic levers and hold all three in your hand at once always know which one you have. They are easier than those tall suckers in my 88. Ever have have a shoulder issue? Had to run the levers with my left hand cause I couldn't get my arm up there, but no problem in the 86. I just get tired of people whining about how crappy the 86 series was. If you don't like them don't buy one. We do not want to hear about it. I don't continually go on about how rotten a 4430 or 4630 is. By the way for you whiners, ice cream is supposed to be cold. Rant over, y'all can call me a troll now.

Good one.

That 986 is a fine looking 86 series tractor right there.  I always thought the 86 series looked good.

I have a 1086 and I get in and out on the right side. I couldn't imagine trying to get by those shift levers all the time. They do have two doors fellas

On 2/27/2017 at 11:48 PM, pete23 said:

Good one.

X2

Every car and truck I know of has the doors opening identical to an 86/88 series tractor. Nobody mentions that, You just need to position your body in a different spot when opening the door, that's all. 

I've had a 3688 in the past and have a 5288 now and I never really heard much complaining about the doors until I started on this forum.  Not even from the owners, and I've worked on these tractors since the 86's were new. 

...The only ones that complain about the doors are deere owners trying to make you think that their ridiculous owlcage cab is better than yours...  and shifters on the left? Try and find a mainline tractor now that doesn't have a shuttle shift on the left side of center!

6 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

...The only ones that complain about the doors are deere owners trying to make you think that their ridiculous owlcage cab is better than yours...  and shifters on the left? Try and find a mainline tractor now that doesn't have a shuttle shift on the left side of center!

Nobody puts the shuttle where the so called engineers at IH put the shifters on the 86 series..........

7 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Nobody puts the shuttle where the so called engineers at IH put the shifters on the 86 series..........

The shifter part I can agree with, the doors don't bother me so much. 

13 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

No they didn't but it was the beginning of the idea of the left hand doing the shifting while the right did other functions! Just like the hydro lever on the left cause of alot of them were loader tractors! 

I'm going to add my .02 on the 86 shifters too, been using a wore out 1086 for a snowplow tractor this winter. It has over 10,000 hard hours on it,but still shifts great.I grew up around 86s, neighbor bought a 10 new when I was 14 years old & I got to run it that summer. Another neighbor had a 33 & 3588, never had trouble getting into them or the 10. The neighbor who had the 10 was a big guy,6'5" & about 280 & not much fat,just a big man & he always liked his 10 for getting in & out way better than his S.I.Ls owl cage deers.

34 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

...funny, I was going to say "nobody complains except for deere lovers.. and TP!" The only reason I can see to complain is if a person is missing a left arm or is paralysed on the left side. You have issues. Have you ever driven anything where you had to use your left arm? Or does it just hang limp from your shoulder the whole time you are awake? Do you drive a bulldozer or run a backhoe with one hand too?

I love the shifters in the left hand side. Especially for loader work. I even prefer the 1086 to my 186 hydro for loader work. The position of the shifters just feels natural. That's where my arm already is whether I'm running a shifter or not.

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

...funny, I was going to say "nobody complains except for deere lovers.. and TP!" The only reason I can see to complain is if a person is missing a left arm or is paralysed on the left side. You have issues. Have you ever driven anything where you had to use your left arm? Or does it just hang limp from your shoulder the whole time you are awake? Do you drive a bulldozer or run a backhoe with one hand too?

Been there, done that, not doing that no more...........if that series had as many fans as you think it does, IH would still be in one piece.  I would love to hear the back story while they were doing field tests with those, because I couldn't imagine any sane engineer saying, hey, let's put the shifters right in the road, then to make it worse, let's put park forward so it makes a bad thing worse.  Then let's add levers every other place.  By the time they got to the 3688 we had something well thought out, but it was years late.  I would love to know if anyone that has both a 3688 and a 986 and see which they would prefer.  I can't imagine anyone saying the 86 would be better, I know I sure wouldn't.  

And I don't drive dozer with my hands either, foot steer Cat.........one hand on the 6 way.  Although are we limited to pre 1980 technology only?  

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I would love to know if anyone that has both a 3688 and a 986 and see which they would prefer.  I can't imagine anyone saying the 86 would be better, I know I sure wouldn't.  

Neighbour here has a 1486 and a 5088, both with loaders. He said the 1486 is a much better loader tractor. Faster shifting and a little bit handier. His words not mine. But I would probably say the exact same thing. It's so much easier to shift with the left hand and run hydraulics and throttle with the right. And steer with whichever one is free lol. As said before, no different than driving a hydro. And I don't see the complaints on here about them. 

5 hours ago, db1486 said:

Neighbour here has a 1486 and a 5088, both with loaders. He said the 1486 is a much better loader tractor. Faster shifting and a little bit handier. His words not mine. But I would probably say the exact same thing. It's so much easier to shift with the left hand and run hydraulics and throttle with the right. And steer with whichever one is free lol. As said before, no different than driving a hydro. And I don't see the complaints on here about them. 

What ever floats your boat, I could not imagine using one of those crash boxes for any serious loader work.

47 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

What ever floats your boat, I could not imagine using one of those crash boxes for any serious loader work.

It beats a 8n.....

10 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

if that series had as many fans as you think it does, IH would still be in one piece. 

If that series was as bad as you think it was, IH wouldn't have made and sold well over 100,000 of them. Perhaps you haven't got the coordination to shift and run the loader at the same time so you don't like the left hand shifting? That would explain not being able to enter the cab without falling over the shifter. 

8 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

If that series was as bad as you think it was, IH wouldn't have made and sold well over 100,000 of them. Perhaps you haven't got the coordination to shift and run the loader at the same time so you don't like the left hand shifting? That would explain not being able to enter the cab without falling over the shifter. 

No, I just won't own one, tons better choices out there, and definitely tons better choices to put a loader on.

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

tons better choices out there, and definitely tons better choices to put a loader on.

I certainly won't argue with you on that.  But a better choice for $8-$10k you would be hard pressed to find. 

On 2/22/2017 at 7:31 AM, Gleaner k2 said:

Holy cow! 40 years after the dang levers came out 35 years after the tractor went out of production people still whine about shift levers and backwards doors the stinking tractor was in and out of production before I was born I never had a problem with the cabs I like them and one day hopefully own one! Either you like the tractor or ya dont thiers alot of other options out thier besides a 86 series go buy one of buy one of them maybe a green one get a 7930 jd it has door that open in the front to bad the 3 point hitch arms fall off cause they used a little tinny tiny wire ring a cupped washer to hold it on but hey no shift levers or door that opens wrong way! Think by 2010 they woulda figured out how to hold the arm on but nah not yet! They all got thier problems! It blows my mind how people still complain about 50 year old designs! 

Opinions are fine. Can't change history. I like the 86 series for a lot of reasons and I have a '76 lol I just use the other steps 😉

spent alot of time on a 786,1086,1486, and i would rather shift those than an 88 series, i can run the throttle and shift at the same time.drive em like a semi

3 hours ago, MAGNUM said:

spent alot of time on a 786,1086,1486, and i would rather shift those than an 88 series, i can run the throttle and shift at the same time.drive em like a semi

X2 on the driving like a semi