Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oleman

Our tow truck 93 Chevy K2500 engine overhaul

34 posts in this topic

In the spring we decide to rebuild a 93 K2500 engine in our garage.

Engine is down due to 6 and 8 cylinders having too much lobe wear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going with stock or adding some pieces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

Going with stock or adding some pieces?

Repair replace/repair anything out of norm.

Replace cam with a RV type cam.

Replace pistons with speed pro L2399nf-30, LS6 type to get compress up to 8.5 or so.

Keep the heads because the are the only CI heads I can find with replaceable seats, guides, rotators unless the are cracked or other issues.

Keep the FI if it will work with the mods. Best minds think this engine should perform well,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you located? I've got a brand new set of heads off a crate engine directly from chevy parts department with no use for them. They came on an engine I bought and put a vortec top end on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 2:19 PM, ZachGrant said:

Where are you located? I've got a brand new set of heads off a crate engine directly from chevy parts department with no use for them. They came on an engine I bought and put a vortec top end on.

Howdy Neighbor,

Dallas, McKinney TX is 75070, is 25 miles north of down town Dallas.

What are the casting numbers?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try to remember to get you the casting numbers tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casting number 10114156

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the same head that is on our 93 454.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let me know if you end up needing them.

 

I don't know what your shops charge down there, but I can guarantee I would have shipped them down to you for less than what a shop up here wants to go through a set of heads. ($60 a hole)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last v8 heads this shop did for me was 318 dodge, less than $ 200 for both heads, 10 years ago.

What are you asking for the heads?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of today, 04MAR17 all of the assembles  are at a machine shop for inspection and machining.

Found an very long standing hotrod shop, the owner and still active rebuilder is WAYNE CALVERT, over in DENTON TX, born in 1928 and has been running the shop since he was in his 20's.

His shop built engines that set the land speed record at the salt flats in the 60's.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After many hundreds of dollars and hours the 454 has its' heads back on and the drive train connected.

Compcams and sealed power provided the cam and pistons.

Wayne Calvert Engines in Denton Tx, did the machine work.

Wayne Calvert Machine shop holds 3 world land speed records at the Bonneville salt flats from his race engine days in the 50's and 60's.

He took on my lowley tow truck engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

He was born in 1928 and still works most day's and always has time for questions and advice.

Our farm shop did the actual assembly.

It is currently still a 93 fuel injected engine BUT it is also built for a Holley if we desire to go the leaking tin can fuel system.

454-back-together 001_1_1.JPG

454-back-together 002_1_1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lookin good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Lookin good!

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 3:47 PM, oleman said:

Howdy Neighbor,

Dallas, McKinney TX is 75070, is 25 miles north of down town Dallas.

What are the casting numbers?

 

 

Lot off topic and not trying to hijack the thread, but thought I would chime in and say that I have been to McKinney, TX when I came down to visit friends that lived in Howe, TX.  Love to come to TX.  So, here's to a Southern Howdy!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had 3 tow trucks with the 454s. Have given me great service. You may need extra/stronger safety chains after you get that new heart beating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the new 3-pass all welded aluminum desert cooler radiator for the extra heat generated from the extra compression from the cut-dome pistons.

I have purchased many well-used cars for the cost of this shiny heat exchanger.

454-AL-RAD 001_1_1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I located the heat shield cups that go around the spark plugs, (GM PN 10166846 at of all places the local Chevy dealer.  They cost $50.88 for all 8 of them.  Now I have shiny new ones.

Will this project ever get completed? 

It was scheduled to be running on 01 April 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, oleman said:

After many hundreds of dollars and hours the 454 has its' heads back on and the drive train connected.

Compcams and sealed power provided the cam and pistons.

Wayne Calvert Engines in Denton Tx, did the machine work.

Wayne Calvert Machine shop holds 3 world land speed records at the Bonneville salt flats from his race engine days in the 50's and 60's.

He took on my lowley tow truck engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

He was born in 1928 and still works most day's and always has time for questions and advice.

Our farm shop did the actual assembly.

It is currently still a 93 fuel injected engine BUT it is also built for a Holley if we desire to go the leaking tin can fuel system.

454-back-together 001_1_1.JPG

454-back-together 002_1_1.JPG

Whats up with your heater hoses? Looks like from my picture there are some more lines teed in to them. That thing looks pretty clean for a 93. Your vehicles down there probly don't get ate up with salt as bad as ours do up here in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2017 at 9:01 PM, 1967806 said:

Whats up with your heater hoses? Looks like from my picture there are some more lines teed in to them. That thing looks pretty clean for a 93. Your vehicles down there probly don't get ate up with salt as bad as ours do up here in the winter.

This is a Suburban with dual heaters and air conditioners.  A single hose comes from the rear of the intake manifold to the fender where it branches to both front and rear heater cores.

This truck is especially rust free, it spent the early years in UTAH where the roads are not salted, and it is basically high desert, then it moved to Orange County California, south of Los Angeles where there is basically no weather.  Same owner in both places. Owner moved to this area in 2013, I got it from him shortly after he arrived.  I am the 3rd owner of this 93. I have the original window sticker. No body rust that I have located, only rust is at the extreme rear of the chassis behind the rear spring hangers.

It is a rare Suburban K2500 with a 8600 GVW. It has a 10.5" 14 bolt full floating rearend! I am at the end of a restoration, all mechanicals have been replaced with the replacement of the engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oleman said:

This is a Suburban with dual heaters and air conditioners.  A single hose comes from the rear of the intake manifold to the fender where it branches to both front and rear heater cores.

This truck is especially rust free, it spent the early years in UTAH where the roads are not salted, and it is basically high desert, then it moved to Orange County California, south of Los Angeles where there is basically no weather.  Same owner in both places. Owner moved to this area in 93, I got it from him shortly after he arrived.  I am the 3rd owner of this 93. I have the original window sticker. No body rust that I have located, only rust is at the extreme rear of the chassis behind the rear spring hangers.

It is a rare Suburban K2500 with a 8600 GVW. It has a 10.5" 14 bolt full floating rearend! I am at the end of a restoration, all mechanicals have been replaced with the replacement of the engine.

Full floater, that's good. My 94 2500 pickup is an 8600 GVW vehicle and it still has the wimpy looking 8 bolt half ton looking hubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     Had a 454 in a 1977 Chev Cheyanne That I purchased new .

      It was my farm truck and did everything but plow a field . Pulled 35foot  full cotton trailers to gin for ten cotton seasons , In those days we used lot of dry fertilizer tenders pulled them to and from fields and in those days we did not bother watering the dirt roads for dust control ,so anytime working on ranch there was dust ,dirt rolling from under it.

         I ran that engine to 225 000 miles then put in a new MR Goodwrench crate 454 and took it to 330,000 miles at that point in 1988 the body was falling apart around the engine and BTW it had been in two accidents the first was when it was a year old & it bent the frame  they wanted to total it but I insisted I wanted the truck and they repaired it good no problems till few years later had another skid into a car that made a u in front of me. they welded a brace on the frame that bent again and away it went till 330,00 the guy that bought it drove it some time also.

    Not trying to highjack thread just testimony on how great those chevys and 454 were to me

    Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

     Had a 454 in a 1977 Chev Cheyanne That I purchased new .

      It was my farm truck and did everything but plow a field . Pulled 35foot  full cotton trailers to gin for ten cotton seasons , In those days we used lot of dry fertilizer tenders pulled them to and from fields and in those days we did not bother watering the dirt roads for dust control ,so anytime working on ranch there was dust ,dirt rolling from under it.

         I ran that engine to 225 000 miles then put in a new MR Goodwrench crate 454 and took it to 330,000 miles at that point in 1988 the body was falling apart around the engine and BTW it had been in two accidents the first was when it was a year old & it bent the frame  they wanted to total it but I insisted I wanted the truck and they repaired it good no problems till few years later had another skid into a car that made a u in front of me. they welded a brace on the frame that bent again and away it went till 330,00 the guy that bought it drove it some time also.

    Not trying to highjack thread just testimony on how great those chevys and 454 were to me

    Tony

Tony, you add serious credibility to an old truck restoration whether it is IH or GM.

Trying to get an  old IH back to operational is just to expensive in $$ and time for me.  So I took the easy way and went GM.

As I have posted before I continuously  owned IH light duty from 1968 to 1989 as a pick in the driveway.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oleman said:

Tony, you add serious credibility to an old truck restoration whether it is IH or GM.

Trying to get an  old IH back to operational is just to expensive in $$ and time for me.  So I took the easy way and went GM.

As I have posted before I continuously  owned IH light duty from 1968 to 1989 as a pick in the driveway.

 

 

 

 

    Can't go wrong on a good body chevy, rebuilding a 454 . Parts easy to get either OEM or aftermarket.

      I agree on the old I.H. , I started, just wanting to refresh it and paint it Red . Close to three years later every inch has been touched , the Six replaced with a 345 and my retirement fund & the kids' inheritance has shrunk considerably.:lol::lol: converted from green bills to Red Iron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oleman you make it over to Hutchins BBQ ever? Big fan of the place, McKinney us a little to busy for me but love East Texas.

 

Looking forward to more on this thread, no one loves GM big blocks more then me.

 

I would have thrown some money at those peanut port heads to get them to flow a little, makes a world of difference and the money spent shows on the dyno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0