Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

806 restore

105 posts in this topic

I've been working on this since mid December but I thought I would start a new thread to put up pictures of proggress

My dad bought this new in 1965 and traded it on a 1066 in 1974.  I tracked it down and bought it back in December and am trying to make it like new.

The tractor must have had a rough life during its 40+ years away from our farm as there were lots of parts welded and cobbled together.

I am trying to get all the mechanical issues fixed before paint so I don't mess up a new paint job.

it had an RD pump originally but was switch to roosa years ago.  I put it back to RD after long parts search to find fuel injector lines.

hoping to hook it to a disc in next few days and work it 5-6 hours to help find any small leaks than start sanding I guess.

in shed where I found it.

IMG_0016-2.jpg.7f56b19b1789545341a62f876b61a0af.jpg

after getting it running but before fixing much.

IMG_0057-2.jpg.ac4754801972d414e9bbf296c27838a7.jpg

most things fixed and new RD pump installed.

IMG_0133.JPG.e92e71dc729e64edfc225a7aa275db40.JPG

Very nice - great to see a tractor that belonged to your dad back with you. Keep us updated!

That's a nice clean looking 806.

Its great that it was your Dad's . Just makes all that work & effort seem like no effort at all.

Good luck with it and keep us posted. Its always nice to see projects being done.

Tony

Family tractors like that are pretty special.  Keep us posted on progress for sure.  Looks like a good one to work with.

Bravo,  Great looking project. Glad it's back in the family.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

got enough things back together yesterday that we took it out and ran it for a few hours on the disc to get it good and warmed up to look for any new leaks.

found a few new problems.  oil tube on bottom of oil pump leaking,  valve cover gasket leaking,  remote didn't want to raise the disc very well so I'm going to look at the relief valve and see how it looks. the valve cover is no issue as I was planning a valve adjustment anyways.

this photo is my dad running it.  we were in the same field as he was the last time he used it in '74.  haven't seen him this happy in a long time.

by the end of next week I'm hoping to start paint prep

IMG_0161.PNG.22ebc44891eb0aaa296e51b8500c67f0.PNG

Looking great

Nice work! Looking forward to updates!

Pulled the relief valve and it was only a 1600 lb so I put a 2400 lb out of 1066 in and now it works perfectly. 

Got valve cover off and cleaned than ran out of time. Get them adjusted and new gasket than I think I'm ready for final cleaning and paint prep. 

Thanks for all the interest. Looking forward to some new paint.  

This project is WAY over my original budget but with everything I've done it drives like new. 

Feel free to ask questions as I've rebuilt or inspected just about everything on it . 

There ALWAYS over budget!  LOL!  Looking good and should look fantastic.

6 hours ago, fbh31118 said:

There ALWAYS over budget!  LOL!  Looking good and should look fantastic.

There is no such thing as a budget when it comes to tractor restoration !B)  Nice 806!

Your right about budgets. 

I knew going in that parts are expensive. 

im really happy with how it drives now with the new shifter parts, front end rebuild and new brakes. 

The RD pump change over was costly but I think I'm going to like it.  Runs and sounds like a whole different tractor. 

I have a new set of tires and rims that are ready once tractor is painted. 

The rims should be painted red but the new rims have a perfect paint job with white that matches IH white. I'm thinking of just leaving them white. What are your opinions?

Personally, I would do whatever u like. You can leave them white and if down the road you change your mind, you can paint them at that point. However, be prepared for people coming up with their smug "just letting you know that's not the correct color for those wheels!".

Your tractor, your wheels, your choice. Is it factory correct? No. If it doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it. 

Well I when I ordered the rims I planned on painting them red but the white they came with is flawless. Probably going put them on and see how I like it than paint them later like punisher suggested. 

love a good 806. glad you are restoring a family tractor things like budgets just go right out the window when that happens. when i restore my 806 i know mine wont be factory correct but the way i see it its my tractor now if they want to  pay me for it they can paint it whatever they want. keep us posted on your project

well the weather forecasters said this week was going to be nice so I got busy with the main part of the paint job.  Turned out pretty good for painting outside in the breeze.  Still have the tin and shifters to do but my old body is sore after the marathon sandblasting and painting session.

sandblasted

IMG_0165-2.jpg.35fc4142f8b68e2d45e4c2e9d1dd191f.jpg 

epoxy primer

IMG_0168-2.jpg.5fda422766b5679c754ef43907601d89.jpg

paint

IMG_0170-2.jpg.3867432717c67698f2c83b1aefde7bd6.jpg

I got more paint in my hair than on the tractor.  That's why I'm painting the white last so it matches my grey better.

Yeah its alot of work repainting these old tractors, looking good and keep the pics coming.

Looks nice!

Wow - that looks great - between spitting sand and rinsing paint out of your hair, I can imagine you're tired! Nice to see it coming along so well!

Tremendous labor of LOVE . :wub:

As for budget keep track of it for your own knowledge but do not share it with anybody because you'll be over budget three times and no body needs to know:ph34r:

BTDT everything is over budget. However, if you are loving it and it has special meaning, you'll soon forget about the budget when you are enjoy it. Somethings money cannot buy.

Keep figures to yourself, because everyone you tell it too, will tell you how much cheaper they did theirs or they will remind you that tractor is only worth a quarter of that. May be true generically but not this one to you.

As for color of rims, if you like the look ,then it identifies your tractor.  I assume your referring to the front rims, if one is not thinking about it, one does not even notice, because we are use to seeing white rims on 1206.

Looking good . Anxious to see it finished.

Tony

thanks for all the encouragement.  got it setting on the new tires yesterday and than spent the rest of the day cleaning up the shop and admiring the shinny new paint.

going to start prepping the hoods for painting and let that paint get good and cured before I start final assembly.

haven't made up my mind about the white rims yet.

IMG_0171-2.jpg.dcadf1675a579a8a1522ec2fa0275611.jpg