Followers 0
Good Hope IH

706 with bad clutch is it worth buying?

46 posts in this topic

Gas or diesel?

1 hour ago, Eason said:

Gas or diesel?

Diesel with 6600 hours

Bought a 1206 last year with the same problem, wouldn't go into gear. Release bearing had seized on the shaft and wore off all the fingers on the clutch. Sounds like same thing with the 706. New release bearing and clutch, you'll be good to go. I bought all parts in Canada, maybe paid too much but was into it for a $1000 by the time I was done with the clutch.

19 hours ago, new1206 said:

Bought a 1206 last year with the same problem, wouldn't go into gear. Release bearing had seized on the shaft and wore off all the fingers on the clutch. Sounds like same thing with the 706. New release bearing and clutch, you'll be good to go. I bought all parts in Canada, maybe paid too much but was into it for a $1000 by the time I was done with the clutch.

Thanks sounds like that is a good possibility price sounds right too. 

you'll be able to see it right away once you take the inspection plate off the clutch.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, new1206 said:

you'll be able to see it right away once you take the inspection plate off the clutch.

Ok thanks will look there first will be picking it up on Saturday.

Find someone in your area with a hy-capacity or ag parts account that clutch kit would go out of my door for around 500$ then you would have to send cores back in. That would be disk,, pressure plate pilot bearing, throw out bearing . Then figure 60$ to surface flywheel and another 125-150 if it needs a ipto shaft which alot of the time they do

Clutch is not the bad to do with right stands and tool,time. G wil likes tires , if they new are worth that. 

Please have the flywheel and pressure plate turn by a shop 

I saw the clutch plates today with Kevlar friction plates , they said they are good for loader work 

3 hours ago, HTS1206 said:

Find someone in your area with a hy-capacity or ag parts account that clutch kit would go out of my door for around 500$ then you would have to send cores back in. That would be disk,, pressure plate pilot bearing, throw out bearing . Then figure 60$ to surface flywheel and another 125-150 if it needs a ipto shaft which alot of the time they do

Ok thanks will remember that.

2 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Clutch is not the bad to do with right stands and tool,time. G wil likes tires , if they new are worth that. 

Please have the flywheel and pressure plate turn by a shop 

I saw the clutch plates today with Kevlar friction plates , they said they are good for loader work 

Will be making new stands for it as this will not be the last tractor that I split.  Will have to see if there is a shop close to me that can do the flywheel.

25 minutes ago, Good Hope IH said:

Ok thanks will remember that.

Will be making new stands for it as this will not be the last tractor that I split.  Will have to see if there is a shop close to me that can do the flywheel.

If the flywheel isn't that bad leave it go. They can only be turned a few times and if they have been already you run out of flywheel. It is better to leave a slightly worn than have it turned again and have it running on the flywheel bolts something that happens a lot.i used to turn everyone also but a semi guy with lots of experience more than advised me of that. If the fly wheel has a huge groove then do it but if slight leave it go. Flywheels are  Around 500 I think aftermarket now but if you can get by with your old one you won't sacrifice any clutch life. I am always Leary of aftermarket pp and clutches . Have seen enough junk all I install is caseih parts and they can be iffy also. Out of about 200 to 300 case ih pp I put in I have had to go back on 15 or 20 and replace broken release arms or the little adj bolt falls out of tip of arm. The aftermarket stuff have seen clutches the rivets tore in half in under 50 hrs.

We have a shop, fix tractors and have an account with ag parts LTD, excellent parts in my opinion. They have plenty of clutch and pressure plate options available at reasonable prices. I have had very good luck with their parts, good luck.

If you do a little digging you might find ag parts or hy cap making your rebuilt CIH clutchs a couple years ago I heard from a John Deere service manager they were making JD's reman"s they both have good stuff and always surface the flywheel if using a metallic button clutch disk it will ride on the high part of the ridge and slip the tech advisers at ag parts will tell you the same thing I can tell you from personal experience .And if you intend to flip that tractor you'll have a PO ed customer the first day he pulls it much

2 hours ago, HTS1206 said:

If you do a little digging you might find ag parts or hy cap making your rebuilt CIH clutchs a couple years ago I heard from a John Deere service manager they were making JD's reman"s they both have good stuff and always surface the flywheel if using a metallic button clutch disk it will ride on the high part of the ridge and slip the tech advisers at ag parts will tell you the same thing I can tell you from personal experience .And if you intend to flip that tractor you'll have a PO ed customer the first day he pulls it much

The JD rebuilt clutches  and pp from any supplier are crap. They were the rage about 5 years ago and I have taken enough near new ones out and fixed them to know. They don't replace the springs  just check and shine and grind the Pressure plates.you then have springs that are about 3/8 inch to short and a pressure plate that is crap after the first few hours. From JD you can buy the parts new for actually less money or the same price and have all new parts and heavy duty springs. Grind the flywheel if you want what I am telling you is if it isn't bad save it until you need it the next time that little ridge will wear the end of clutch pads off as soon you step the clutch in. Have replaced enough flywheels to know what I am talking about and where this really comes in is when you need to buy a 2500 flywheel on a semi.

Went to bring it home yesterday and broke the beaver tail off my truck so will be figuring a new way to get it home.  Thanks for all the talk about the clutches and where to get them will look in to it all when I get the tractor home.    

Got the 706 home today had it delivered by a friend looks really good will be posting pics later today or tomorrow.   

Finally got a chance to put some pics up. Had it running yesterday and it ran great. 

100_2067 (800x599).jpg

Reads 6600 hours and the gauge is working so I believe that to be original hours.   

100_2073 (800x599).jpg

Nice clean tractor. Good save.