Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Good Hope IH

706 with bad clutch is it worth buying?

46 posts in this topic

There is a 706 for sale close to me with a bad clutch but new tires he wants $2200 for could probably get it for less was wondering if it would be worth buying and fixing and flipping if a guy would make anything on it?  How long would it take to do the clutch and what would it cost? Don't have any pics and am not sure if it's a gas or diesel think it's a diesel but not sure wanted to ask here before I phoned about it.  Thanks  

buy it, if you do the work yourself it is not to pricey even if you do i shaft and internals

If it has Flat top fenders and a good running diesel I'd say not a bad deal. If u do the work yourself and flywheel can be turned I'd say close to $500 for all parts and seals needed, good luck.

What do good running 706s bring in your area? 500-1000 should do for parts do you have time to get it done.?

30 minutes ago, dieselman said:

buy it, if you do the work yourself it is not to pricey even if you do i shaft and internals

Thanks would be doing all the work myself with some help from my dad.

23 minutes ago, ih crazy said:

If it has Flat top fenders and a good running diesel I'd say not a bad deal. If u do the work yourself and flywheel can be turned I'd say close to $500 for all parts and seals needed, good luck.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, R190 said:

What do good running 706s bring in your area? 500-1000 should do for parts do you have time to get it done.?

A good running 706 in my area would bring $3000 to $5000 depending on tires and hours.  Would have the time to do after work everyday.

$1500,parts prices go up daily.

I guess I'm a sucker........... I paid 7000 for one that had a bad clutch a couple years ago, with bad tires. I think it's a bit money pit as the TA needs work, probably the PTO needs work and an injector pump that hunts a bit at full throttle. Oh well........life goes on. 

go for it Joel! haha we can always use another tractor!

1 hour ago, Old 5488 said:

I guess I'm a sucker........... I paid 7000 for one that had a bad clutch a couple years ago, with bad tires. I think it's a bit money pit as the TA needs work, probably the PTO needs work and an injector pump that hunts a bit at full throttle. Oh well........life goes on. 

Sounds like that wasn't the best deal.

14 hours ago, cwinn said:

$1500,parts prices go up daily.

Yeah that sounds like what I had in mind will phone the this week.

1 hour ago, RafterMFarms said:

go for it Joel! haha we can always use another tractor!

Yeah that's true but would fix it and sell it right away.

I just put a clutch in a 826 $310 for clutch, pressure plate, and bearings and seals. $75 to resurface flywheel. My son & I did all the work ourselves

if you need help or advice i live very close to you, have done many ih clutch jobs.

57 minutes ago, Eason said:

I just put a clutch in a 826 $310 for clutch, pressure plate, and bearings and seals. $75 to resurface flywheel. My son & I did all the work ourselves

Ok that sounds close to what I found it for.

57 minutes ago, dieselman said:

if you need help or advice i live very close to you, have done many ih clutch jobs.

Ok thanks.

Talked to the owner he said he would $2000 he is the second owner and has owned it since 1978 he thinks it has about 6000 hours brand new back tires the head has been done the TA was done something over 20 years ago he thinks it is the throw-out bearing that is gone.   

I bought one the same way it was gas paid 1850 and crawled under after looking through peep hole and drove it on the trailer   

2 minutes ago, 1989 plowboy said:

I bought one the same way it was gas paid 1850 and crawled under after looking through peep hole and drove it on the trailer   

Ok yeah the owner doesn't think it will drive as it will not go into gear when running.

Yes he thought more major which it could be ta out him trying to pawn off as clutch instead  it happened to my father in law on a 766 almost 10!years ago     Around here if you know how to beat the bush you can find one for about that running but it will be gas and missing parts (fenders ) mine I bought was complete ta is slipping on low side now but I ve had it 6 years with dad running it 

20 minutes ago, 1989 plowboy said:

Yes he thought more major which it could be ta out him trying to pawn off as clutch instead  it happened to my father in law on a 766 almost 10!years ago     Around here if you know how to beat the bush you can find one for about that running but it will be gas and missing parts (fenders ) mine I bought was complete ta is slipping on low side now but I ve had it 6 years with dad running it 

Yeah that's a possibility but I doubt it as he hasn't used for work in a number of years.

21 minutes ago, 1989 plowboy said:

Ps just realized you are Canada I have no idea on it's worth there 

Haha that's ok.    

1 hour ago, Good Hope IH said:

Talked to the owner he said he would $2000 he is the second owner and has owned it since 1978 he thinks it has about 6000 hours brand new back tires the head has been done the TA was done something over 20 years ago he thinks it is the throw-out bearing that is gone.   

That sounds about right if it's in nice shape and runs good.  There was one at a sale a few miles away from me this summer that went $500! It needed a clutch and rear tires. Was faded and on the rougher side but ran good. I've seen nice ones go $4-5000 up in this area too so I think you can make a bit on it.

We did a clutch on a 706 for a guy 2 years ago, and I don't think it was more than $400 to shave the flywheel, and new clutch, rebuild pressure plate, pilot and release bearings. I kinda think it was closer to 300 but it's been a while.

Good hope IH is my brother haha and we have done some clutch/ta/rear end jobs so it cant be that bad!

18 hours ago, Good Hope IH said:

Yeah that's a possibility but I doubt it as he hasn't used for work in a number of years.

Haha that's ok.    

New rear tires are worth a large fraction of that.  It will also sell the tractor when you sell it.  

20 hours ago, db1486 said:

That sounds about right if it's in nice shape and runs good.  There was one at a sale a few miles away from me this summer that went $500! It needed a clutch and rear tires. Was faded and on the rougher side but ran good. I've seen nice ones go $4-5000 up in this area too so I think you can make a bit on it.

We did a clutch on a 706 for a guy 2 years ago, and I don't think it was more than $400 to shave the flywheel, and new clutch, rebuild pressure plate, pilot and release bearings. I kinda think it was closer to 300 but it's been a while.

Thanks sounds like what I had in mind.

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

New rear tires are worth a large fraction of that.  It will also sell the tractor when you sell it.  

Yeah that's what I am hoping.

am sure when you open it up the i shaft will be worn, replace it while you are in there, peace of mind and a selling feature. good luck.

23 hours ago, dieselman said:

am sure when you open it up the i shaft will be worn, replace it while you are in there, peace of mind and a selling feature. good luck.

Ok will look if I get it have arranged to look at it on Saturday.

Went and looked today and made the deal will be picking it up in the next few weeks didn't take any pics yet but will be sure to when I get it.