red tractor fever

Looking for

I found some pics of 15700 on auctiontime for ya. This is an interesting quest . I hope you can find 15699 .

826 serial 15700.jpg

826 ser 15700.jpg

Here is 15698. They are smaller resolution as it will let me load them. These are the photos I bought it from. I didn't see it in the flesh till it was delivered. Photos were taken at Greenwald Farm Center in Greenwald Minnesota. 

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Went outside this morning and gave the pair the once over. I found 4 differences. Weight bracket, 10 vs 12. Cabs, Hiniker vs ? 15698 has split rear wheel weights and 15700 does not. 15700 has DMI 9 bolt hubs and 15698 does not have any dual hubs of any kind on it. The axles are scratched up like it could have at some point. More answers but more questions. The 12 hole weight bracket on 15700 is incorrect for a 56 series tractor. I have been told the weight brackets with the extra holes for the angle iron are for 66 series tractors. I've also looked at some other serial tags in pictures of 826's. Three that I looked at I'm pretty sure are factory fender tractors. Two of them have the 0148 and one is 0132. This will only complicate things. Two of the serial tags are on Gold Demo 826's. One is in Texas and is the 0148. The other one is in Tennessee with the code of 0132. Both gold 826's have gold paint on the fenders. So the saga continues.

rjpont, thanks for posting those. I tried posting the others that were with them but to big. I love this iPad cause it's handy and I can sit on the couch. It does limit your abilities to work with pictures tho. Thanks for your well wishes and I agree. It's a interesting quest, more interesting than I ever thought.

I would think the codes refer to how the tractor was actually built- cab or fender, six or eight bolt hubs in the front end, 34 or 38 rears, that kind of thing.  Weight brackets, duals and the like were dealer add-ons, weren't they?

14 hours ago, red tractor fever said:

NHrediron, I thought about starting up a 826 registry when these two came my way. But I kinda thought someone might think I was using the backdoor to find 15699. Figured it'd be better to be open and up front with my intentions. I run my own business and that's what my customers like. I'm honest, upfront, and tell it like it is. My tractor dealings are no different. I could still start one if theirs enough interest.

Red Tractor Fever, if you are willing to run a registry for 826s, I can help get it started. Perhaps, when you get time, start a new thread titled 826 registry.

On an IH facebook group I participate in, there was recently a discussion about 826s. About 4 people, including myself, provided serial numbers,  If you start a thread, I can connect at least that short handful of em.

Best of luck with your search.  Looks like you recently purchased the 826's.  What was it that sparked your interest in them?  

We're the original owners of ours. We have several IHs, but the 826 diesel hydro is by far my favorite. 

Wow nice looking old 826s. Wish my cab was as nice as yours i side. 1300?

234-IA, I can't answer your question with 100% certainty but I'm pretty sure all those items you mentioned could be factory or dealership installed. Theirs a guy that posts on here, I think his name is Eason, and I think he worked in the parts and or ordering room. He could answer that question definitively. On my tractors, they are nearly identical other than the code in the middle of the serial number. I just did some research trying to find a decoder for 826's and came up empty handed. Hopefully someone that knows will see this and solve the mystery. 

NHrediron, I'll consider a 826 registry. What we probably should do is see how much interest there would be in a 826 registry and go from there. 

I did recently purchase them in hopes of having three in a row someday. Having two that close is amazing in my opinion. Finding number three to make the trio complete, even better. It was a nine month roller coaster ride. Eventually everything worked out. Wasn't sure for awhile tho. I've kept track of my findings, phone calls, and emails of the entire process of first finding 15700 to then finding 15698 and everything in between till they were delivered to my door. I reread it on occasion just to keep my hopes up for finding 15699. 

What sparked my interest in them? I'm a numbers guy for starters. I know a pair of consecutive built 560's that have never been separated, ever. A guy traded a single 560 in on two new ones. When they got the new ones they were consecutive. Now his sons each own one. And I'm always crunching numbers of some kind. So when I found these two with the ALMOST consecutive serial numbers the pursuit was on. It was off a couple of times to as one wasn't much good without the other. But my patience paid off. I also have another 826 with a loader on it. I'm just like you, I've got several IH's around here but that 826 with the loader on it is my clear favorite. I'm the happiest I can be on a tractor with a smooth running German Diesel out front. They're so handy. Big enough to get some work done but not so big they're clumsy. I'm guessing you know what I'm talking about. 

here's something to play with- maybe someone  can detect a pattern: 826 SN  2510132U007750* is set up as follows:

Farmall, diesel w/TA and fenders

WF, 8 bolt hubs 11L 15 tires, rears 16.9 38s on 12 hole 38 clamp-style castings

dual hyd and 3pt

spring seat and fixed steering column

no differential lock though the hole is there in the deck

the tractor is a pretty clean original that  was sold new by M L Anderson & Sons in Barron WI.  It moved to Iowa in 2000 and is currently employed as the all purpose chore tractor on a small beef and crop farm

Since your a numbers guy thought you might like this. 

We ordered two new 1066's. 

ordered on same day at same dealer. 

The semi from the Farmall factory delivered them both on same load right to our farm without going to the dealer first. 

These two tractors are identical in every way. 

The serial numbers are

2610175U046469

2610175U046882

there is over 400 numbers between the two

still have them both, been really good tractors

2 hours ago, 234-IA said:

here's something to play with- maybe someone  can detect a pattern: 826 SN  2510132U007750* is set up as follows:

Farmall, diesel w/TA and fenders

WF, 8 bolt hubs 11L 15 tires, rears 16.9 38s on 12 hole 38 clamp-style castings

dual hyd and 3pt

spring seat and fixed steering column

no differential lock though the hole is there in the deck

the tractor is a pretty clean original that  was sold new by M L Anderson & Sons in Barron WI.  It moved to Iowa in 2000 and is currently employed as the all purpose chore tractor on a small beef and crop farm

Red Tractor Fever

Take the information above and compare this 0132 Code to your tractor.   You may see the pattern form up that will tell you just how an 0132 Code is equipped.

Remember that some of these things can be switched on the dealers lot and the may have added an extra auxillary  valve or weights, or even an aftermarket cab etc.

I too am enjoying this, I hope others with an 826 that has an 0132 Code will tell us how it is equipped.

GT&T

65806, that is very interesting to a numbers guy. Ordered on the same day from the same dealer yet over 400 numbers in between. One would've thought ordered tractors would be closer than that. Maybe not consecutive but close. Direct delivery is pretty cool to. Great story, thanks for sharing.

GT&T, my 132 is as follows. Farmall diesel, with TA. I'm thinking factory cab with pictures I looked at tonight. WF with 6 bolt hubs. 11L15 tires. Clamp style 34 inch hubs with 18.4 tires. Dual hyd and pto with 3 pt. Spring seat and fixed steering wheel. No dif lock either. I spent most of tonight looking at tractors and serial numbers paying close attention to that code that's kicking our butts. I found two Hydros with a code of 120. Also found two 826 Standards. One with a code of 154 and was a 71 model. The other was a 69 and had a code of 134. So things are all over the place. Could it be as simple as the hydraulic pump?

This is very interesting to me. I never dreamed this would turn into what it has. I honestly thought I'd post my wanted ad, a few would acknowledge it, let me know they'd keep their eyes open and that would be that. But here we are 60+ posts later and still going. I hope someone has a answer for us. Time will tell I guess.

My 1970 gold demo 826 0132 # is 6bolt front hubs ,16.9x38 rears , tilt wheel,fast hitch , 2hyd and roll gard has gold paint under red. This may sound strange but the fuel tank neck seems shorter than our other 826??

Mine with 0148 code is gear drive , ta, hiniker cab, had weight bracket that prev owner kept. All i know off top of my head. Dont know if that helps at all.

Code: 0151

1970 Farmall 826, Hydrostatic Drive,  358 German Diesel,  Diamond Cab,  1 remote,  dual pto,  6 bolt 11L-15 fronts,  18.4-34 rear,  3 point,  spring seat,  fixed steering column.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Build location: U  Serial #: 010886.

Came with loaded rear tires and no weight frames.  Now has empty rears, multiple weight frames and 2 remotes.                                                                                            

Oh, mine 358 diesel ,dual remotes , dual pto , fixed steering, spring seat

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Mine with 0148 code is gear drive , ta, hiniker cab, had weight bracket that prev owner kept. All i know off top of my head. Dont know if that helps at all.

one thing you have going for you is that a lot of equipment was shipped by rail back in the day so possibly all 3 were on the same rail car out of the factory.

I personally am not seeing any pattern yet. Anyone else? I thought 120 meant hydro but now we have a 151 on a hydro but it's got a diamond cab. The longer this goes the more numbers that show up. We're getting deeper into this raising more questions. I did call a friend of mine today who's owned a few 826's. He didn't know himself but said that Ken Updike would know. 

I agree with Red666. Probably all went to Minnesota together many years ago considering how close these two appear to have been. My guess it's in Minnesota to somewhere. I did check out The Wisconsin Historical Society for shipping records. Didn't have any luck. Wanna go back and try again tho.

Guy from another IH page gave me his 826 info:

code: 0132    serial #: 010499

18.4x 34,  dual pto,  2 sets of remotes,  tilt wheel,  differential lock,  6 bolt lugs front,  gear drive,  it was 2point fast hitch but chanded it to 3 point.  

(Since he didn't mention, I would assume open station, no cab.)

I have what might be a dumb question. 

You guys keep talking about serial numbers and different brand cabs. 

I have alway assumed that all tractors rolled out of the farmall factory with either IH cab, fenders or no fenders and that ALL other brand cabs were dealer or buyer installed. 

I know that our dealer put 100's of non IH cabs on these tractors and they had a huge pile of fenders out back that they removed. 

If this is correct than the tractor serial number has no relevance to any non IH cabs that are now on these tractors. 

As with most things I am probably wrong. 

Dennis

You are very right.    The same thing could have happened with weights and brackets.   The wheels and /or tires could and were switched at the dealer between two tractors also.

GT&T

Here's my 826 serial number. 2510120U08781*

Desiel, Hydro, hyd seat, straight steering wheel, dual PTO, Dual Hyd w/ the front set under the platform, 3pt, narrow front, and open station w/ deluxe fenders. 

My grandfather bought it used back in the early 70's it still has the M&L Anderson from Barron WI key chain. Not sure if they sold it new or not.

Erich

Mine is 2510132U014981.     

1970 Farmall model. Diesel gear drive with TA, Wide front axle. 2 pt, dual pto, fenders, no cab, spring seat, rigid steering, dual hydraulics with front and rear outlets, 16.9x38 rear and 7.50x16 front tires. Clamp style wheels. No diff lock.589a1d3477863_KIMG0023(Medium).JPG.5abedbb06849908c46f6c19561a470b2.JPG

The only pattern that is somewhat starting to form is that 120 is a hydro and the ones with the 132 code have 38 inch rear castings. I'm beginning to think 15700 had 38 inch castings when new and was part of the old switch things around at the dealer that 65806 and GT&T talked about. I should go out to them and check casting numbers on them and compare the hubs especially. Not saying it'd do any good just another avenue to pursue. 

Just a theory, what if 15700 was specifically ordered with 38 inch castings knowing when it arrived the castings would be switched with another tractor already on the lot that had 34's. The serial tag would show 132 cause it was built that way but after the switch it now has 34's making the serial tag APPEAR to be wrong. Just thinking out loud I guess.