red tractor fever

Looking for

Did you call all the dealers and ask to leave a message on the bulletin board or some such?

another way to get the word out

Nobody has said there was anything wrong with the post, just that it was a long shot.

Every once in a while you get someone who really thinks a forum like this would be able to track down the whereabouts of any tractor on demand. Just trying to set some realistic expectations.

Great topic Red tractor fever, its stories like this that make me come here daily, even made me wonder where my tractor's siblings ended up.  Best of luck on your quest, the guys gave you great advice. 

Keep us posted!

Al

Best of luck :)

Interesting search. As  an idea plot the earliest known location of both tractors on a map. Which I understand you have done. Then maybe plot all International dealers that were in business when the tractors were new within a radius of maybe 50miles of each location?

Also maybe worth plotting all other dealers in area incase it was sold in part exchange to another brand?

Maybe record from old dealerships and or the owners of the businesses are able and will to help you?

Yes, it is a big longshot. After I bought my 7120 Magnum, I met up with one of the dealers clerical employees. She knew how to use the warranty lists and it was for another tractor I was looking at. Then I had her type in my 7120 serial number, the next one after and the one before it. To my surprise the one after it was sold at a neighboring dealer 30 miles away. The one before it was located in California. I also remember in the IH days when some dealers would order a bunch of consecutive serial numbers in order to get the volume discount. In particular I remember 4 different 1086's with consecutive serial numbers at a dealer about 80 miles from me. I was looking at buying a new 1086 at the time and discovered the s/n's by accident when I looked down underneath. Other than those I have only seen one other bunch of consecutive serial numbers and those were on 84 series tractors at the introduction showing.   

I guess maybe im not sure how to read my serial# on my 826 lot longer # with U in middle. Is the whole thing the serial# or first or last with u breaking it up? 

2510148U014855*

Also strangely enough got to thinking about # he's looking for and i think my 400 may have that serial # i used to know what it was off top of my head...couldnt look at it tonight.

Are you on Facebook and put the information out there on the IH Group or International Harvester pages?  If not I could post it our there for you.

Best of luck!

AKwelder, do you mean dealers in that Minnesota area? More explanation please.

Matt Kirsch, I'm fully aware this is a total shot in the dark. Just merely using the forums as a sounding board. I'm looking at it from the same standpoint as the serial number lists people are building. Forum members get numbers from non forum members to add to the list. It's just a tractor guy asking for help from other tractor guys. I'm ok with whatever results I get.

Power of Red, I'm with you 100%. It's the reason I visit this site regularly as well. I'm always willing to help a tractor friend. This time it's the other way around. I'm doing the asking. Only time will tell. Keeping you guys posted won't be a problem. 

Pid1831, Thanks for the well wishes. I will do some dealership searches for that area to see if any might be still in business. I'm open to any suggestions anyone has and willing to do any legwork it might take. 15700 has old dealership stickers on it but there isn't enough left to read. I haven't tried tracing paper and a pencil yet but the stickers are petty much gone.

George2, it truly is a long shot. But I gotta try. I'm a numbers guy and having the two I got being that close, it's what keeps me wondering where it might be. From the time I found the first one till they were here sitting side by side took about 9 months. So I don't give up easy. 

Thanks to everyone thus far for your replies and ideas. I will pursue them as best as I know how. It's all good on my end!

The last four or five digits are what matters in this instance. 

I'm not on Facebook so you could post it there if you want to. I'd appreciate any help anyone is willing to give. Thanks again everyone.

Have you called some junkyards?

they probably have numbers in the office for tractors that in the yard or ones that were there at one time. 

Keep trying.  

I tracked down my dads 806 he bought new in 1965 and traded on 1066 in 1974. 

Took a long time but I finally found it a few months ago buried in the back of a guys barn and bought it back. 

Was well worth the effort. 

Good luck

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, iowaboy1965 said:

I guess maybe im not sure how to read my serial# on my 826 lot longer # with U in middle. Is the whole thing the serial# or first or last with u breaking it up? 

2510148U014855*

Also strangely enough got to thinking about # he's looking for and i think my 400 may have that serial # i used to know what it was off top of my head...couldnt look at it tonight.

The first three digits are the code to indicate the type of machine followed by a four digit code to indicate how it is equipped. The letter indicated where it was built. The last six digits are the sequential serial number.

Thanks owen. 

The complete numbers of each tractor are as follows 

2510148UO15698 and 2510132UO15700 

Can you tell me what the middle numbers stand for please and thank you.

Red Tractor Fever

The term used at the dealership and by IH was refred to as the Kind & Code.   The "Kind"  251 would be an 826, the 0148 and 0132 would be the "Code", on your 2 tractors.   If you would be so kind as to tell us exactly, as best as you can tell, how each tractor is equipped, then you would know what the two codes mean.  I use the term, "as best as you can tell" , because you may not know what the capacity of each tractors hydraulic pump is, or if they both have the same type of tires as they were originally built with  etc.  etc.  etc.    Just some variables,  power steering, long axles, deluxe seat, hydraulic seat, tilt steering wheel, water filter, weight bracket.   

I hope this helps until someone with a dealer code book can tell us what the Codes are for an 826.  You have got my curiosity up now,  I'd like to know just for giggles. 

GT&T

Try posting over on yesterdays tractors as well. I grew up 30 minutes north of rochester and currently live in red wing so if I see an 826 I'll check it out. I can't think of anyone locally off the top of my head that had one but I know they were around.

Oh and another thing IH did have all those records of where things were sold but a lot of that was lost or destroyed in the merger. Wisconsin historical society is the keeper of a lot of the stuff thats left.

GT&T 

I'll do the best I can for you. 15698 has a 10 hole weight bracket, six lug front wheels, 34 inch clamp style rear hubs with step up rims to 38's and a Hiniker cab. Cab is irrelevant  but I'm a sucker for details. Gear drive WITH TA. And I think regular seat. 

15700 has a 12 hole front weight bracket, six lug front wheels, 34 inch clamp style rear hubs, and is also a gear drive WITH TA. It use to have a cab as the marks are on the hood where the seal rubbed the paint off. Regular seat as well. The paint on the fenders does not match the rest of the tractor either. I'm pretty sure the cab has been gone for quite awhile. Someone made some homemade steps that are awful looking. Hope the guy that built them never reads this but they are bad.

Both have 3 points and are dual outlet dual pto tractors. Power steering on both as well. Standard axles to. If I missed something please ask. Be glad to go look as there here. I'm wondering if the code difference is either hydraulic pumps or maybe 15700 had a factory cab. Just a guess. Both are NON tilt steering. 

One more tidbit of information. Was just around them looking at engine serial numbers. 

Tractor serial number 15698 has a engine serial number of 17857.

Tractor serial number 15700 has a engine serial number of 17874. 

Reason for comparing engine serial numbers is a friend just painted a Super MTA without a serial tag. He had the serial number off the engine and I was comparing the engine number with a couple other MTA's around. I know it's not an exact science but with a little figuring and comparing a guy could get an idea what it could be. So I decided to check the 826's while I was rummaging a round.

One thing I'm really surprised at for this site. No one has asked for pictures. Anybody interested in seeing them?

And to 660driver. I did post a wanted ad over on YT in the written classifieds. A guy who's handle was wolfmantractor replied. He thought it was a interesting topic. He admitted he has 155XX and was in Pennsylvania. That was the only response I got there. Thanks for the idea tho.

yup, post them up red fever, it has been an interesting thread.  I hope you can fill your gap.

Dennis

5 on Craigslist...Madison, WI 1 Diesel Hydro ( Dodgeville)..,2 months old (Appleton}...Goldie  Diesel. Sheboygan, WI 1 diesel Gear.  In Twin Cities CL....1 Goldie Diesel, 1 Diesel Gear...parting.

I haven't noticed anyone keeping track of an 826 serial number registry.  

On 2/1/2017 at 7:55 PM, red tractor fever said:

AKwelder, do you mean dealers in that Minnesota area? More explanation please.

If those two numbers you have were found in Minnesota and you called and left a message with the dealers reaching out from there area,and thanked them nicely maybe the word would get out or you will get a find, or a lead, or a recommendation. Parts guys and service techs would hear of it, and others.  Anything is possible 

Red Tractor Fever

It looks like the difference between your 2 different Codes could have been the factory cab, or possibly front weights.  If I looked correctly those are the two " known " differences between your 2 tractors, from the factory.  You still do not know which tractor would have had, which weight bracket, or if either tractor had been equipped with weights.  Interesting.  It'll be interesting what Code that the one in the middle has, and you may luck up and find one on either side of your serial no.

GT&T

First off I'm going to apologize. No photos at least tonight. The pictures are from the internet and still are to big. I'm using a iPad and have no idea how to resize them on it. Sorry. 

Thanks for your well wishes farmalldr. I really hope the gap gets filled as well. 

Rainman, I will check the ones you listed. I think the one at Dodgeville is on Tractorhouse, Fastline, and Machinio. I have called on both of the ones on Twin Cities CL. Don't remember the numbers but not the one I need. The other two warrant investigation. Thanks for the leads. Both Twin Cities guys are keeping an eye out now to.

NHrediron, I thought about starting up a 826 registry when these two came my way. But I kinda thought someone might think I was using the backdoor to find 15699. Figured it'd be better to be open and up front with my intentions. I run my own business and that's what my customers like. I'm honest, upfront, and tell it like it is. My tractor dealings are no different. I could still start one if theirs enough interest.

AKwelder, I get what you mean now. Spread the word up there anyway I can and see what happens. I'd like to see if any shipping records are at The Wisconsin Historical Society to see if it went north like these other two. I gotta take time for that and soon. 

GT&T, your right. They're almost twins. The weight brackets and cabs are the obvious differences. I know of two other 826's in this neighborhood. They both are factory fender tractors. I should have a look at the complete serial number and see what the center code is one them. Might help deciphering these. I've had the same thought your having. What if we stumbled onto 15697 or 15701? It will definitely be interesting for awhile to see what happens. All I can say for now is stay tuned. I'll update things as questions and suggestions come it. I'll also see what I can figure out on resizing my pictures so they can be uploaded. 

Thanks to everyone who's viewed and commented thus far and also your searching on my behalf. It's been lots of fun and I'm learning more about my tractors to. It's all good.

Easiest was I found to resize photos is right click on the file and hit "open with" than choose Microsoft paint. 

Once it's open in paint there is a resize option on top and you can choose whatever % you want. I used 25% on photos from my iPhone and it worked good.