Sign in to follow this  
Cattech

Newer Cub, aftermarket muffler?

I have a 1997 CC 2165, the muffler is getting rotted out. A new one, P/N 951-3001P is available, but the best price I found is about $200. I can put a full new exhaust system under my pickup for that kind of money. I see it is stamped "Nelson" which is the OEM supplier, from what I've found they do not sell direct.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has seen an aftermarket supplier or knows of a place to get one a little more reasonably priced. I know, you get what you pay for, however I doubt I'm going to keep this tractor another 20 yrs.

Ebay,  used....$50+

Could be worse.  Mufflers for the B-48-G Onan in my IH 982 are about $150 x 2.  They were almost new when I bought it 16+ years and 450+ operating hours ago.   It could end up with straight pipes!

13 hours ago, Rainman said:

Ebay,  used....$50+

No offense intended, but looking at the used choices on Ebay I may as well patch what I have. None looked any better except for the outlet tube not being crunched like mine.

As to a straight pipe, I fired mine up without the muffler the other day, good god is that loud! Sounds plenty mean, I think my neighbors Harleys ran and hid, and the other neighbors drag car got a little red with envy. Cool, but not really what I want when blowing snow in the middle of the night or using it to cruise the weekend bonfire parties around the lake.

I had the little pepper shaker muffler on my 10 HP Kohler years ago,  mowing my yard beside my house and the neighbor drove by in his tuned Dodge Cummins pickup.  I was facing away from the road and about 125 feet from the road and heard it over the Kohler.

I have a straight pipe on that tractor now, most Harley's are still louder.  And so was that pickup.

My new Cub Cadet Tank is pretty quiet.  27 HP Kawasaki V-twin. Single muffler.  The Tank also runs 12 mph instead of the 6-7 mph the tractors run.  Tank cut my mowing time from 4 hours to 2-1/2 hrs.  I've got more trees to prune to reduce trimming time,  goal is 2 hours.

Slip the muffler off that Kawi & fire it up once😮

I know what your saying with a zero turn, one of these yrs I'm going to find a deal on a Grasshopper and I know I'll never miss my Cub. But for now, the wallet says I better be happy with what I got.

This morning I managed to patch my muffler for now. I ground off the welds and peeled the crimp open, split the housing. My main problem was the mounting studs had broken, I drilled through and welded in some bolts with internal fender washers. Laid some 12 g sheetmetal in the rusted areas and spot welded. Fabricated and welded in a new discharge elbow. Pushed the halves back together, rolled the crimp back over and spot welded it. Should last a couple more yrs.

Ha-Ha.... Not taking the muffler of my  less than year old Tank.  MTD/CC mounted the muffler as far away and aimed away from the operator as possible while still keeping the muffler on the mower.  The sound of the blades with the deck engaged just about drowns out the engine noise.

I did take the muffler off my less than year old F-250 PSD.  Made no difference in noise inside the cab.  No difference!  I even shortened tailpipe to ahead of rear wheel from behind rear wheel.  The REAL change came 8-9 years later when we straight piped the resonator along side the transmission.  Biggest change is the amount of whistle from the turbo.  I roll the passenger door window down 4-5-6 inches even in below zero weather to enjoy it!

Not sure how much room you have for mufflers on your CC.  There may be mufflers from other brands of tractors that could be made to fit.  Might check companies like Stens, they sell aftermarket engine parts.

Gater blades will cut the blade noise a lot. after a local muffler shop put a 90 on a pipe exhaust run straight up it sounds better. I have a l60  with 700 hrs going great mowing about 10 acres.