Sign in to follow this  
ajtel

td18a

very weak spark trying to start.

possible cause?

replace coil?

The coil could be at fault, but make sure the points are clean and properly adjusted. When the points are dirty they don't allow proper contact when they are closed and if they are not gapped enough, they arc rather than make a clean break, which in turn effects the coil.

Also check the rotor and distributor cap, if you haven't done this already. Sometimes have some corrosion and need to be cleaned up.  

Should be all the info you need for magneto service

GSS-5035 Service Manual Magnetos

m. diesel

td 18 has coil, distributor

ajtel

Good deal. IH used a truck distributor for the 18. I was able to gets parts fairly easy as it has a standard 6 cylinder truck/tractor cap rotor and and points etc. Odds are the points are weak. I would first seek out a set of ignition parts for it. Tractor Supply or a IH dealer most likely.

Coil may be weak, but that has not generally been the problem for me. I'm guessing it still has the old copper plug wires?

m. diesel

td 18 has coil, distributor

ajtel

I would clean and regap points, clean rotor and inside dist. cap. check spark plug wires for good connection in cap and clean and regap plugs. If spark is still weak, new points and condensor. You can check the coil by touching the low tension terminal with a hot lead from battery while holding coil spark wire next to ground, then break connection. This will collapse the magnetic field and cause the coil to make a spark at the high tension wire. (goes to middle of cap) JIm.

On my old TD9 I just replaced the coil with a new high power one.  New wires also help.  Since it is not a mag, you can use modern style plug wires that don't have the copper in them.

thanks for advice. will have to wait awhile,

freezing temps.