Sign in to follow this  
jim dog

Grill's

Any opinions on a good Barbecue Grill.Gas/Charcoal / Smoke.

$100 dollar one .Throw it away every other yea,r buy another their all junk.We've had expensive ones and their still junk.

This is almost as bad as an oil discussion.ūüėÄ

I have a Weber Genisis gas grill. Had it for over 8 years and only replaced burners a year ago.

I also have a Green Mountain pellet grill. Also very happy with it.

A PIECE OF GRILL/MESH AND SOME CHAROL AND A TIRE RIM...LSASTS FOR YEARS/DECADES

im a big fan of the $100 toss out special, but i got smart about it, 90% of the time i would chuck out the grill cause the replacement burners cost more than the next $100 grill until i started to pay attention to the burners before buying. this time i got a $75 special who's replacement burners are only $5, so $15/year, im on year 4

$120 for 4 years so far has worked for me, my BIL spent more than that on his burners this year alone for his 3 year old fancy pants stainless colman that cost more than the last 6 BBQ w/burners i got since i moved out on my own in 2002 

Never buy a charcoal grill, that DYI project is a right of passage...

9 minutes ago, Power of Red said:

im a big fan of the $100 toss out special, but i got smart about it, 90% of the time i would chuck out the grill cause the replacement burners cost more than the next $100 grill until i started to pay attention to the burners before buying. this time i got a $75 special who's replacement burners are only $5, so $15/year, im on year 4

$120 for 4 years so far has worked for me, my BIL spent more than that on his burners this year alone for his 3 year old fancy pants stainless colman that cost more than the last 6 BBQ w/burners i got since i moved out on my own in 2002 

Never buy a charcoal grill, that DYI project is a right of passage...

Just like above, and I look at the grating as a big item, coated tin doesn't last, cast iron lasts and is still replaceable. 

The best place i found for my cast iron grating upgrades for my cheapo BBQ is in upper class hood's on garbage day, like us, they toss out their grills too, but they paid $1000+ for them with usually nice cast iron grating still in them, the set i have now was 1/2" too long, nothing the angle grinder could not fix.  and there was bonus set of ceramic heat stones in the bottom of that grill, man those make a big difference on meals that require a lot of supervision, the temp jumps back up much faster after closing the lid. give a more uniform cook too. keep you eyes out for those on garbage day... 

wilmington grill made in wilmington nc. do a google search on it

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

H    :D

H grill.jpg

We got a Weber charcoal grill about 12 years ago.  Starts on small 1# bottles of LP, no taste/smell of charcoal lighter fluid.  Big plastic bin holds the 16# bags of charcoal.  We paid around $325 but they have a new series called the Summit grilling center, suspect it's $379 now.  Wife cooks/smokes pork butts, steaks, burgers, brats, she's even done fish on one of those grilling mats, sweet corn, chicken,  you name it!  We grill probably 2 nights a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Our only expense has been to buy a converter hose to use a 20# lp tank instead of the 1# bottle.  Also bought a new grilling grate.  The old one works fine, just needs cleaning really bad.  And what amazes me more than anything is the pushbutton ignitor still works.  When I worked for Thermos at their grill factory I bought their top of the line grill and the ignitor worked one time, one push, then nothing!

Anyhow, charcoal cooked food tastes better IMHO, not sure those Weber kettles ever wear out, charcoal is more versatile, cook or smoke.  And these grills are fast.  From the time I push the ignitor till I'm cooking is 4-5 minutes.

Charcoal, buy an electric starter. Electric starter will get the charcoal going in less than 20 minutes. I like the smoke flavor so that's important to me, but gas does make it easy.

Bought a Traeger pellet grill couple months ago...Love it and food tastes great. Have had gas and charcoal for years with no big complaints but will not go back now.  

I have a charbroiler brand from local farm and home store, wife bought it about nine years ago. The grate that holds the charcoal is the only issue I have with it. It is just about burned in half. I will have to buy a new lower grate or finish building my new one before spring. I use a chimney for starting the charcoal and love it.

Alan

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

We got a Weber charcoal grill about 12 years ago.  Starts on small 1# bottles of LP, no taste/smell of charcoal lighter fluid.  Big plastic bin holds the 16# bags of charcoal.  We paid around $325 but they have a new series called the Summit grilling center, suspect it's $379 now.  Wife cooks/smokes pork butts, steaks, burgers, brats, she's even done fish on one of those grilling mats, sweet corn, chicken,  you name it!  We grill probably 2 nights a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Our only expense has been to buy a converter hose to use a 20# lp tank instead of the 1# bottle.  Also bought a new grilling grate.  The old one works fine, just needs cleaning really bad.  And what amazes me more than anything is the pushbutton ignitor still works.  When I worked for Thermos at their grill factory I bought their top of the line grill and the ignitor worked one time, one push, then nothing!

Anyhow, charcoal cooked food tastes better IMHO, not sure those Weber kettles ever wear out, charcoal is more versatile, cook or smoke.  And these grills are fast.  From the time I push the ignitor till I'm cooking is 4-5 minutes.

Does this grill start the charcoal with propane?

Thanks for your information.

9 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I will only own a Weber.  I worked in the factory where the charcoal grills are made, and can tell you that they are well built.   The Weber -Stephen Co stands behind their product, and actually honors the warranty.     The video is how it was when I worked there 10 yes ago, and even has a welder I built in it.

9 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I will only own a Weber.  I worked in the factory where the charcoal grills are made, and can tell you that they are well built.   The Weber -Stephen Co stands behind their product, and actually honors the warranty.     The video is how it was when I worked there 10 yes ago, and even has a welder I built in it.

7 hours ago, nosih said:

That was an excellent video,by the way where is this factory located? I am going to Home Depot to look at some Weber Grills,Thanks for the video.

16 hours ago, jim dog said:

Does this grill start the charcoal with propane?

Thanks for your information.

Yes,  auto-ignites the propane with the push button ignitor, then the propane ignites the charcoal.  I used to buy the 1# propane bottles for $9.99 for four,  this last spring they went to $13.99/4.  Hence the convertor hose to use a 20# bottle.  Bottle will last at least a year, maybe two. Only have to run propane for 5 minutes.

To cook a pork butt for Bar-B-Que pulled pork you burn the grill for 10-12 hours.  We have a timer that monitors internal meat temp and temp of the grill.  Internal tells you when the meat is dome, grill temp tells when you need more charcoal.  The grill has a scraping wheel in the bottom to empty the ashes out of the kettle.  We empty the ash pan 2-3 times a year.  A full pan fits into a doubled up plastic grocery bag.

We've brushed snow off the thing to grill steaks or burgers early and late in the season.  

NOSIH -  Neat video!  All those parts look familiar.  Have to laugh at Weber being made in Huntley, Ill.  About 100 miles away Thermos in Freeport made around 700,000 gas grills a year till Char-Broil bought them up.

When I was at Thermos, I bought a QA assembled "first grill of the run" to make sure all the parts were in the box.. Assembly engineer was a friend of mine.  When you assemble 6-10 grills a day you get quick at it.  Would have taken me 2+ hours but he did them in 30-40 minutes!  Employees could buy the assembled grills for half price.  Was still an expensive grill!   I did get a great deal on two stainless steel Thermos bottles,  Free!  The inner stoppers had different styles of seals.  I carried each one to work for a month and rated them for engineering.  Still have one of them.  The other one landed wrong when it fell out of my truck a few years ago.

Weber here. It's about 12 years old, replaced burners once, tossed the sheet metal grates after about a year and replaced with cast which are still going strong.

9 hours ago, jim dog said:

That was an excellent video,by the way where is this factory located? I am going to Home Depot to look at some Weber Grills,Thanks for the video.

When I worked there, all charcoal grills were made, assembled, and packed at the Huntley il plant.  Q series grills were assembled and packed at the Huntley factory also.

I switched from propane to wood pellets about 6 years ago.. Will never go back..