MTO

Make the effort to move over a little

13 tow truck drivers struck and killed as of end of November 2016.

This doesn`t count the ones struck and NOT killed. 

The "Move over" law has done little. 

Take the responsibility on yourself as laws alone don`t work.

It`s scary out there anymore, trust me.

One each in Alabama/Arizona/Kentucky/Massachusetts and Utah.

Two each in Florida/Pennsylvania and New York and a state I forgot. 

And this move over should apply to ANYTHING sitting on the shoulder. 

Merry Christmas.

There are dozens of traffic laws being broken at any given moment. You have to drive defensive at all times.

Just take note of all the mistakes being made next time your out.

You will see lack of blinker usage,

Changing lanes on a bridge.

Changing lanes in an intersection

Crossing a Double yellow line.

Illegal  U  turn's

At least that's what I see here every day.  We have Very bad drivers in this town.

On the interstate   (  I-80  )  in this area the move over law seams to be recognized pretty good, but it only takes one careless driver to become a Statistic.

I avoid stopping on the side of the road unless it's absolutely an emergency.  Doing so is also illegal.

I always get over I've done tire service. It's scary when no-one gets over or slows down.

From what i see the big trucks are pretty good(not all though) about moving over but the the dam 4 wheelers see it as big slow trucks gettin in the way so they pass on the right. 

Maybe when they catch someone not moving over they should make em stand on the fog line for 15 minutes. Bet they remember almost getting hit and think twice next time they see someone on the side of the road!!

Everybodys in a big hurry.To kill somebody.Know different than our work zones .Big hurry.Same with snowplows ,they want roads bare but don't wanna slow down for a plow.Nice what the world has become .Used to like construction now I cant stand working out there ,death wish...

Yea but my car parks itself, tells me if I drift out of my lane, tells me when someone is next to me, makes calls for me, has a TV for the kids to watch. Tells me when a tire is low, when to change the oil, when the road is slippery, how to get home, or to work.....why can't it move over for me too.....

New technology is great ain't it????

2 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Yea but my car parks itself, tells me if I drift out of my lane, tells me when someone is next to me, makes calls for me, has a TV for the kids to watch. Tells me when a tire is low, when to change the oil, when the road is slippery, how to get home, or to work.....why can't it move over for me too.....

Couldn't agree more, all this technology in vehicles is making drivers more careless than it is making them safer.

I always move over for a car on the shoulder and it makes me mad when some dumb a** behind me doesn't. I always picture them in my head  asking themselves " I wonder why that car infront of me moved over for no reason...."

38 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I've been sayin' it for a long time.  The more idiot proof we try and make it, the more idiots we create.

43 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

In a few years when technology has taken over and they are self driving the computer will react and correct much quicker then a human.

28 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

In a few years when technology has taken over and they are self driving the computer will react and correct much quicker then a human.

The problem is when the car does everything for you, people stop paying attention.  No need to check if lane is clear, car does that.  No need to watch and react to changes in front of you, car does that, etc.  That's all fine and dandy, until the instrumentation or sensors that the computer is using to make its decisions fail.  

I've seen it personally.  Retired last year from nearly 40 years in the oil industry.  When I started out, you had to learn and know every piece of equipment, how it related to every part of the process.  Around 15 years ago, automation came in fast and furious.  The result is the newer fellows don't feel the need to master the equipment and process because, "the computer does that".  I witnessed accidents and major process issues because instrumentation failed and gave the "computer" bad information.  Add to that programming errors in "the computer".  Problems that in the past we would have recognized and reacted to before things got out of control weren't addressed because "the computer" is in control.  And when people finally realized "the computer" wasn't doing things right, they didn't know what to do.  Made me and a few other "old timers" pretty valuable, as we could troubleshoot and remedy problems.

I believe the airline industry recognized this issue also.  There were some major accidents due to the fact that the pilots were letting the computer fly the plane, and their flying skills had deteriorated or had never developed due to the same issues with automation.  Perhaps Randy could chime in on this.

I don't like the self driving stuff especially the trucks put me out of job before I retire. I already have to put up with all this safety stuff on the truck I'm driving now. Adaptive cruise, distance alert lane departure warning reads the speed limit signs beeps if you are over and sends all info back to dispatch. Not much fun driving in heavy traffic when the cars keep diving in front of you and truck puts brakes on all by itself.

I bought a cordless impact to keep in the truck. It allows me to get a flat tire on the trailer changed faster while sitting on the side of the road. I have triangles and warning lights but still don't feel too safe. Once on the interstate, I made the mistake of removing the tread that had peeled off my tire. It was laying in the middle of the traffic lane and people were moving over and slowing down until I removed it. Big mistake. I should have waited until the tire was changed first. 

I`ve stated before I have learned that flares/triangles/cones serve only as a target for passing traffic. 

A 20` chain laid in a pile 100` back and about a foot from white line into traffic spooks them over a couple feet which is all the room I need.

I think they don`t know what it is and when the occasional driver DOES hit it, no harm to them or the chain. 

Troopers frown on it but they are rarely there before I`m loaded and ready to leave. 

I feel it`s either them or me.

1 hour ago, Skagit Farmer said:

and their flying skills had deteriorated or had never developed due to the same issues with automation.  Perhaps Randy could chime in on this.

Just now saw and read this thread, CONCUR!

best, randy

I am always criticizing people for not giving enough room to roadside whatever, but also slow down wake the he!! Up put the phone down, and take in your surroundings, so many injuries and deaths could be saved by people waking up

One of my jobs as a kid was driving the “Rush Hour Rescue” sponsored by the ALA later merged into AAA and WBZ. WBZ had a helicopter pilot/reporter by the name of Joe Green flying a green Hughes 269 helicopter and reporting the Boston traffic. The Southeast Expressway was, and still is, a major headache during rush hour. Breakdowns just made it worse so every morning and afternoon we staged two wreckers on the road and they installed an additional radio in the helicopter to enable Joe to direct us to the problem. Joe already had two mics on his helmet – one for the radio station and another for ATC so he used a WWII throat mic on the wrecker radio.

When I’d arrive on the scene I’d have all the lights flashing, including the green ones that enabled Joe Green to find us, jump out lighting flares and dodging cars, and try to set up a safe zone.

More often than not the flares would be run over and twice the truck got hit. Both times the cars that hit it kept going!

I left that job and went to A&P School. The second job I got after getting out was for the company that provided the helicopters. I got to meet Joe and exchange stories. He and I both remembered the time he entertained a Boy Scout troupe with an impromptu airshow while I got their van fixed.

That was a long time ago. As for pilots losing their skills, well, that’s what I’ve been doing for a living these past 40+ years. It’s true, I believe. The airplanes and the ATC system drive you to be a manager rather than a pilot. SIDs , STARs, RVSM, RNP, climb via, descend via, are a few of the acronyms that are essentially driving us to maintain a precise path, speed, track, etc., really don’t lend themselves to hand flying the machine. Fly by wire planes are more like controlling a video game in a lot of cases. We still have to land though and it still is a challenge. When the airspace allows I go back to raw data. I can see some of the young guys get uncomfortable. OMG! He’s not using a Flight Director!

I’m working on buying an old taildragger so I can actually fly again.

Just had two cops get hit on I-75 in downtown Dayton this week in two separate incidents. First cop had a partial amputation on his leg. On the job for less than a year. Second one K-9 officer cruiser hit on side of road. Officer and dog OK. Both had lights going when hit while investigating accidents.

Dennis

Maybe if they didn't gouge people on helping them out when they are in a bind people would be less willing to run them over.  :ph34r:

Kinda like lawyers to me.  If  so many weren't such greedy crooked SOB's for what  they do and when they do it people would have far less ill will towards the whole profession. :angry:

And yes I move over and yes I know not all of the are that way but too many are. 

I know what you are talking about. Drove wrecker and service truck for 17 years. They would not even move over with a cop sitting behind you directing traffic. This little fat man learned fast to change tires with out looking at the tire but watching traffic. Did my fair share of jumping up on the back of the roll back wrecker.

1 hour ago, tcmtech said:

Maybe if they didn't gouge people on helping them out when they are in a bind people would be less willing to run them over.  :ph34r:

Kinda like lawyers to me.  If  so many weren't such greedy crooked SOB's for what  they do and when they do it people would have far less ill will towards the whole profession. :angry:

And yes I move over and yes I know not all of the are that way but too many are. 

Sometimes I give you the benefit of the doubt and take the time to read your written [sometimes lengthy] opinions but I want to thank you tonight for saving me the time of reading anymore of them. 

7 minutes ago, metamora farmall said:

I know what you are talking about. Drove wrecker and service truck for 17 years. They would not even move over with a cop sitting behind you directing traffic. This little fat man learned fast to change tires with out looking at the tire but watching traffic. Did my fair share of jumping up on the back of the roll back wrecker.

I dive underneath.

Hey! Nice to hear from you again Metamora!

Thot you turned to crap and the hogs ate you!

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Sometimes I give you the benefit of the doubt and take the time to read your written [sometimes lengthy] opinions but I want to thank you tonight for saving me the time of reading anymore of them. 

I think I just peed my pants a little but I was too distracted by the malt beverage that went up my nose😂😂😂