Sign in to follow this  
Kylec1787

1066 hydraulic help

Recently purchased a 1066 and the hydraulics seemed a little sluggish both in the Mcv and rear hitch pump so I decided to replace the hydraulic filter as a start. When I opened the filter housing and saw the fluid it looked milky white but what really got me was the fact that it had no filter in it. I figured that was a way to keep running a tractor with weak pumps. I installed a new filter from case ih and the o ring. When I started the tractor I had no steering. I let it warm up and then tried reving it up and turning the wheel and got it to go but it was surging. I turned it from stop to stop with no change. I pumped the brakes till they worked and then I lost everything again, this time for good. Remote hydraulics and three point seem fine and don't affect steering or brakes. I shut the tractor off and removed the 5/8 nut on the mcv and started it till oil blew out the hole. Shut the tractor off and put the plug in. Started it back up and still have nothing for steering or brakes. Tried pulling the plug again and now I can't get fluid to come out. I know I need to change the fluid but it worked before and would like to fix it before I put new oil in. Any advice or tricks

Probably need a new mcv pump and probably go thru the mcv itself. Curious as to why the filter was taken out, was it because the pump was weak? Big part is all the contaminates have went thru the mcv pump, rear hitch pump. Drain the oil and pull the 3rd. link plate, to see what is laying in the bottom of the case.

Don't  put new oil in need to flush trany or you will just turn new oil milky yellow and throw money out the window

I do what the others said and clean the crud out of the bottom by way of removing the hitch pump and 3rd link plate. You might also have a valve scored and stuck in the mcv. If you don't know what you're doing in there I'd recommend taking it to an experienced mechanic. I wouldn't flush it with anything but hyd oil but that's just me. Probably cheap stuff 

I have used diesel fuel in a pump sprayer, brake clean sprayed on the bottom of rear housing. As dumb farmer stated, pull rear hitch pump, pull the mcv and take the trans. Brake housing off along with all drain plugs. And not just filter cover but take the whole filter plate off, should give you good access to clean.

I am with Brian on the pump sprayer with diesel, and dumb farmer on taking it apart. Then refill with cheap hydraulic oil and run it down the road and heat it up good have drain pan ready and when you pull back in shop from test run drop the oil right away, to include all drain plugs. Speed housing plug, range housing plug and axle housing plugs.(might add to drain axle housing plugs before hand) 

When we have a problem tractor, I get a couple of cow magnets and put them in the inside bottom on the rearend. Any metal will be caught.

On December 5, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Kylec1787 said:

Recently purchased a 1066 and the hydraulics seemed a little sluggish both in the Mcv and rear hitch pump so I decided to replace the hydraulic filter as a start. When I opened the filter housing and saw the fluid it looked milky white but what really got me was the fact that it had no filter in it. I figured that was a way to keep running a tractor with weak pumps. I installed a new filter from case ih and the o ring. When I started the tractor I had no steering. I let it warm up and then tried reving it up and turning the wheel and got it to go but it was surging. I turned it from stop to stop with no change. I pumped the brakes till they worked and then I lost everything again, this time for good. Remote hydraulics and three point seem fine and don't affect steering or brakes. I shut the tractor off and removed the 5/8 nut on the mcv and started it till oil blew out the hole. Shut the tractor off and put the plug in. Started it back up and still have nothing for steering or brakes. Tried pulling the plug again and now I can't get fluid to come out. I know I need to change the fluid but it worked before and would like to fix it before I put new oil in. Any advice or tricks

Take your filter off make sure wing nuts haven't bent cover then pull off the the whole filter housing and replace gasket. Do this before getting to crazy with everything else. Have had to fix what you describe a lot. Rolled pinched cut oring or gasket leaking on older models.