ihrondiesel

7240 High EGT's

Would a partially plugged muffler contribute to the heating?

This tractor has 640 hours on the injectors, so that (normally) shouldn't be an issue. 

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

It got cold enough here that I could do a little more chiseling and got the field finished. About 4 1/2 hours worth, went through 75 gallons of fuel. I'm thinking 16 2/3 gal/hr is a little rich for 8.3L?  Now I think I need to dyno it to see what it's putting out, and find an appropriate fuel setting. 

That is a lot of fuel per hour. We used 12 gallon per hour maximum on the 8950 that dynoed 270 . 

My brother said once that he was using 7.5 gal/hr running a pull type forage harvester with a totally stock 7140.

13 a hour isn't hard if your working it so if your really pulling it I could see that a good 806 can burn 10 a hour

I'm struggling to remember but I think my FIL's 8940 could run close to 12 hours on a tank of fuel pulling the same chisel and never got hot. I think that would be under 10 gal/hr and it dynoed 240. 

Bringing this topic up again. I got time to check a couple things today. #1, static timing is spot on. #2, no restriction on venturis before the air filter. 

I talked to a local mechanic who is well versed on the Magnums. He said he has seen turbos that appear to be good cause heating issues, mine appears good but you never know. He said something with exhaust vanes not doing their job. 

If I were to advance the timing a little, I would tilt the pump away from the engine, correct?  How far? (Measuring on the mounting slots). Also going to check into a muffler or eliminator and S-300 turbo. The 89xx style mounting flange will fit into the factory pipe, just need the short adapter to the turbo?

TIA,

Ron

Have you checked to make sure your teenage sons didn't turn it up more after you got it put on ? If memory is correct it's a inline p pump like in 94-98 dodge trucks which teenagers around here have learned to turn to the limits I know yours is a c series versus the b    Just a thought 

lol, yeah I'm pretty sure that didn't happen!

I haven't been around a lot of these tractors but in the truck world we would check the air to air after cooler for leaks. Not sure if these have a air to air or a water cooled one but would be worth checking. Been a truck tech for 19 years and have a several over heat issues over leaking air to air coolers, boost leaks cause fueling issues which cause engines to operate differently. Our spec is when checking them no more than a 5psi drop in 30seconds at 30psi rule of thumb spec.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:16 PM, ihrondiesel said:

So what I'm hearing from this forum is to do two things: 1. Turn the pump back down to factory setting and 2. Check the timing. 

Bitty, I'm curious what tractors you run that are 270 hp at factory settings. I've run various Magnums for twenty years, almost exclusively xx40's (just coincidence) and none have been over 240 hp., except for an 8950 a friend owns that dynoed 375, but he owns at least five Magnums from a 7110 to an 8950 and swears the two 50's (7250 & 8950) are a whole different breed of cat, even compared to his 7240 and 8940.  Now that I think about it he has at least six Magnums because I know he has a 7130 also.

Is there excessive exhaust smoke when pulling hard?

No excessive exhaust smoke when pulling hard. A puff of black when you crack the throttle, but that's all. A little haze when working, but it has always done that. The tractor came to me with 8200 on the clock, full of red dirt. I don't know anything about ifs previous life. 

If it is puffing a little smoke when you jump on the throttle you may be getting too much fuel or too little air. None of ours will put any black smoke out . We have 7 including the one MX 270. They range between 9-16,000 hours. The one with 14,000 was inframed làst spring and the 16,000 hour one is getting it as we speak. 

I can't verify that all are stock for sure as only one had less than 5,000 when we got it but I believe they are mostly stock

8 hours ago, bitty said:

If it is puffing a little smoke when you jump on the throttle you may be getting too much fuel or too little air. None of ours will put any black smoke out . We have 7 including the one MX 270. They range between 9-16,000 hours. The one with 14,000 was inframed làst spring and the 16,000 hour one is getting it as we speak. 

I can't verify that all are stock for sure as only one had less than 5,000 when we got it but I believe they are mostly stock

Bitty, 

Just curious but how many hours are you planning on running these to? If you're doing an inframe at 16000 hours do you feel you could potentially get another 16000 out of them? Or would 10000 be more realistic?

Have you done anything else to these tractors with that number of hours? 

Sid

4 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Bitty, 

Just curious but how many hours are you planning on running these to? If you're doing an inframe at 16000 hours do you feel you could potentially get another 16000 out of them? Or would 10000 be more realistic?

Have you done anything else to these tractors with that number of hours? 

Sid

We have done transmission jobs. IMO these boxcar Magnums have 30-50,000 hours of frame life. It's going to depend on the front axles as we have done some kingpins, more on the European ones . I think that the super singles making it ride terrible has some negative effects to the cab , hoods, and front end

IHfan4life

I should add that we just got this tractor year and a half ago. It had 5,000 some hours on the meter when we got it . We're sure it's got another 10,000 looking at it. Somebody had done some work to the Head to the exhaust manifold and 2 bolts were drilled out bigger rather than using a helicoil so it's not had the best mechanicing done at times. Between five and six cylinders the firie ring was gone (a good bit of it ) and we were swapping compression between those two cylinders

On the 270?  Dang.  The big tires make them hop some right. 

Sid, I have seen a 7240 with 90000 on....pics only.  Was on a mixer in CA since new.  At the annual RB auction there they almost always have a 30 to 40000 hr magnum from any generation from a dairy.  If my 7140 with 12000+ blew up I'd not even flinch are a new engine.  Just did the trans in the 8930 last winter.  A snap ring on the final drive shaft was clearly never installed.  Pushing silage with a back blade allowed the pinion to push the shaft into the trans so hard it broke a cage.  Hard to explain.  8500 on iirc at that time.  Now 9k ish and going strong putting out 240hp.  But we got a 890 loader now for silage.

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

On the 270?  Dang.  The big tires make them hop some right. 

Both 7250pros and the MX had big wide singles. We put spools and 18-46 duals on both 7250pros, then used the used takeoff ones that were best and dualled the MX with 710-42inners and 650-42 duals.. the MX had 8,xxx hours on it when we got it and we are fairly confident that is correct. Both 7250 pros were 4+5,xxx hours and we are sure that they rolled over the meter once ( at least) sorry for the hyjack 

I just went back and reread the thread. If you have a haze of smoke when pulling hard this is a bad sign. NONE of ours smoke at all and we have used the flex frame model 8-18 plow behind most of those.

I am voting an overfuel issue, timing, lack of air (boost ) or something similar.

If you can get that tractor dynoed I think that would help find out what is going on

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:11 PM, ihrondiesel said:

Bringing this topic up again. I got time to check a couple things today. #1, static timing is spot on. #2, no restriction on venturis before the air filter. 

I talked to a local mechanic who is well versed on the Magnums. He said he has seen turbos that appear to be good cause heating issues, mine appears good but you never know. He said something with exhaust vanes not doing their job. 

If I were to advance the timing a little, I would tilt the pump away from the engine, correct?  How far? (Measuring on the mounting slots). Also going to check into a muffler or eliminator and S-300 turbo. The 89xx style mounting flange will fit into the factory pipe, just need the short adapter to the turbo?

TIA,

Ron

If its like the magnums I worked on in the early 90's under warranty, you have to get in to the drive gear to change/set the pump timing. The pump drive gear mounts on a tapered pump shaft. It has to be clean when re torqued or it can slip.

Had similar issues on my mx240,  replacing the fan clutch resolved them.

Update on this 7240. I checked timing and put on a new muffler. I took it to the local dealer to dyno it, kind of disappointed in the results. Only 186 hp. They called and said it had a lot of oil slobber, suspected valve seals as it was only by a couple of exhaust ports. Pulled the head to have it checked and new seals put in. Today they called back, #5 sleeve is scored pretty badly, the others all have a little. Soooo, I guess it will come home with a complete in-frame overhaul. Not what I wanted, but what I got. 

Crap.....better than a hole in the block mid May!

Update on the ole girl. Last spring’s overhaul turned out to be an out of frame job. The plastic piston cooling jet for #5 was cracked off, so the crank had to come out.  Got it back together with an S300 turbo on top. Pulled really strong, dealer dynoed it at 230 hp at 80% load, that calculates to 285 at full power. 

I put a few hours on last spring, then it did baler duty this fall. Yeah, I know, the baler doesn’t need that much power, but my wife and boys really like the power shift. Did some chiseling this fall, pulled pretty good. My son was headed out to finish chiseling a couple weeks ago, and called me after a couple rounds saying it looked like the inside of the right front tire had oil on it. Thought a little bit, then remembered the sun shaft seal for the front planetary on that side had been seeping, so maybe it let go now. Explained it to him, he understood and said he’d head back home (3/4 mile) and check the oil level. Well, he called back three minutes later and says in a shaky voice “Uh, Dad, I think this tractor just exploded!”  Of course it was on the highway, he had just throttled back to get ready to turn the corner when it happened. I was two hours away with the truck, so I called my BIL to see if he could help. This is the picture he sent me. 

Got a call from the dealer today, they ordered a ReMan engine for it. The rod cap bolts let go on #2. Less than 100 hours on the overhaul. Thankfully, warranty is paying for it this time. 

3D1E44EE-72C6-47C1-A8D4-A8D83DB3E5D2.jpeg

On 3/22/2017 at 9:50 PM, TroyDairy said:

Crap.....better than a hole in the block mid May!

You missed by six months bud!

Lol!  That’s what I thought when I re-read the comments above.