ihrondiesel

7240 High EGT's

I was doing some chiseling last week with the 7240 and 5500 chisel plow. This tractor has always seemed to me to have high EGT's compared to other Magnums I've run. I was going 10" deep,  it pulled it easy enough in 10th gear but EGT & coolant temps were too high for me to be comfortable with. I shifted down to 9th and they backed off.  A little later I went back to 10th but backed off the throttle to keep my ground speed where it was in 9th (about 2150 RPM, IIRC).  At that speed, EGT & coolant temp stayed where they had been in 9th. A little later I found out I must need a new fuel sender in the bottom tank because with three bars on the fuel gauge she died. I suspected being out of fuel so I jumped out to open the hood and pump the primer a few times, confirming no fuel there. When I looked up, I noticed the exhaust housing of the turbo was glowing a bright cherry red. 

I put new bearings & injectors in the tractor when I bought it, around 8200 hours. I replaced the injector pump due to leaks around the 8500 hour mark. The new pump is set at stock +10%.  The tractor now has around 8900 hours. To my knowledge the top end has never been opened up. I had the radiator out & cleaned at a radiator shop because I always felt it ran too warm. 

Any ideas or suggestions what to check?  The tractor is mainly used for tillage &  baling cornstalks. 

TIA,  Ron

I've had trouble with the fan clutches on them I put the direct drive on. The other thing is 10% over you could have some nice power. My 7150 made 285 with the seals on the pump before I turned it up.i had to put a bigger turbo on it to keep it cool it always had both temps at the top of safe

I've thought about a bigger turbo, been told two different things. One guy says use the turbo off an early 2188 combine, I'm pretty sure that's an HX40.  The other guy said use the turbo off a 7810 Deere, (not sure what that would be) and put in a marine spec injector that has a little coarser spray.   Haven't heard of anyone having trouble with fan clutches. 

Edited by ihrondiesel
More info

The 7810 runs a s300 that's what I got really like it I only put the bigger injectors in anymore the turbo made a huge difference on mine. I set my brother I laws 7120 up we put a direct fan on it and big radiator left turbo alone guessing it's around 275 

Yes it bolts on the pressure side is bigger need to make a adaptor and the exhaust is a bell flange like the 8900 series uses

Have you eliminated the muffler? Usually good for dropping the egts at least a bar on the gauge.

The fan clutch is a known issue.  My brother was going to replace one on his first 7140 some years ago and the dealer told him to put a direct drive on instead.  Pretty sure a different fan is used also.  But with all that your turbo shouldn't be glowing.  With higher fueling levels a little more timing would be beneficial.  

If you still have the muffler, I have seen them plug and create high temps.

I didn't know an eliminator was available for that corner post integrated muffler. I'll have to check into that and a direct drive fan. I also wondered about timing.  Spencer Diesel has a diesel timing light they rent out,  I may have to use that. 

Can't remember what those eliminator a cost, but they are pretty expensive. Thomure has them.

Muffler on our 7240 went bad a year ago. First signs were overheating then air filter light came on. Ruined plastic baffles in air cleaner. Replaced muffler with a thomure straight pipe. Took care of overheating problems.

20 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

I was doing some chiseling last week with the 7240 and 5500 chisel plow. This tractor has always seemed to me to have high EGT's compared to other Magnums I've run. I was going 10" deep,  it pulled it easy enough in 10th gear but EGT & coolant temps were too high for me to be comfortable with. I shifted down to 9th and they backed off.  A little later I went back to 10th but backed off the throttle to keep my ground speed where it was in 9th (about 2150 RPM, IIRC).  At that speed, EGT & coolant temp stayed where they had been in 9th. A little later I found out I must need a new fuel sender in the bottom tank because with three bars on the fuel gauge she died. I suspected being out of fuel so I jumped out to open the hood and pump the primer a few times, confirming no fuel there. When I looked up, I noticed the exhaust housing of the turbo was glowing a bright cherry red. 

I put new bearings & injectors in the tractor when I bought it, around 8200 hours. I replaced the injector pump due to leaks around the 8500 hour mark. The new pump is set at stock +10%.  The tractor now has around 8900 hours. To my knowledge the top end has never been opened up. I had the radiator out & cleaned at a radiator shop because I always felt it ran too warm. 

Any ideas or suggestions what to check?  The tractor is mainly used for tillage &  baling cornstalks. 

TIA,  Ron

My personal thoughts on running a gear lower is that the egt is going to be higher because it is lugged lower rpm. 

On none of our Magnum tractors do I see that the pump needs to be turned up. We used to pull a 8-18" flex frame plow (before we went no till ) and 6300 gallon tankers on hills . All of our Magnum tractors have the stock muffler except for the 7140 I built a schedule 40 exhaust system to mount an 8950 muffler on it

I would check the pump timing. Get rid of the muffler also. Good luck 

x2 on pump timing we had one on the dyno with a fresh out of frame overhaul was rolling the paint off the stack retimed it and put a little advance on it really helped later on same tractor if air temp was over say 70 water temp would go into the red put a direct dive fan kit from HY CAP on it comes with new blade moves alot more air but it is also noisy but you dont notice in the cab has kept it cool for several years now

What are your EGTs running?  It is normal to have a red exhaust when pulling hard. 

I haven't checked with any kind of thermometer. I have an infrared laser type that goes to 1250 deg. I think.   On the dash, there are 12 bars on the gauge. EGT was at 10 bars, coolant temp at 9 bars. Local dealer told me to check air intake in front of the filter, make sure that isn't plugged. The worst part is that I only really work the tractor 3-4 days a year, the rest of the time it doesn't work that hard so it isn't an issue then.  I've been getting by by taking it easy, but if my teenage sons are running it they may not notice a problem until it's too late. 

You will not be able to get an accurate EGT temp with a laser gun..   You have to have a pyro probe that is mounted in the exhaust just before the turbo.   1250 will be a high point for you.   The 400 series IH engines are VERY well designed engines, not prone to egt issues.   Unless there is a turbo-exhaust-or intake issue.  OR IF THE FUEL DELIVERY HAS BEEN TURNED UP.. 

11 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Local dealer told me to check air intake in front of the filter, make sure that isn't plugged.

If the intake is plugging it should set off the filter restriction light.  My MX170 likes to do this.

9 hours ago, gonzo 1066 said:

The 400 series IH engines are VERY well designed engines, not prone to egt issues.

With all respect, a 7240 is a CDC8.3, aka C series Cummins.  

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

If the intake is plugging it should set off the filter restriction light.  My MX170 likes to do this.

With all respect, a 7240 is a CDC8.3, aka C series Cummins.  

I think that Gonzo1066 was referring to the fuel being turned up causing the problems not the engine being the same 

I would lean towards the fuel pump turned up being the possible cause. Our Magnum tractors run 270+ with the stock pump settings

So what I'm hearing from this forum is to do two things: 1. Turn the pump back down to factory setting and 2. Check the timing. 

Bitty, I'm curious what tractors you run that are 270 hp at factory settings. I've run various Magnums for twenty years, almost exclusively xx40's (just coincidence) and none have been over 240 hp., except for an 8950 a friend owns that dynoed 375, but he owns at least five Magnums from a 7110 to an 8950 and swears the two 50's (7250 & 8950) are a whole different breed of cat, even compared to his 7240 and 8940.  Now that I think about it he has at least six Magnums because I know he has a 7130 also.

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

So what I'm hearing from this forum is to do two things: 1. Turn the pump back down to factory setting and 2. Check the timing. 

Bitty, I'm curious what tractors you run that are 270 hp at factory settings. I've run various Magnums for twenty years, almost exclusively xx40's (just coincidence) and none have been over 240 hp., except for an 8950 a friend owns that dynoed 375, but he owns at least five Magnums from a 7110 to an 8950 and swears the two 50's (7250 & 8950) are a whole different breed of cat, even compared to his 7240 and 8940.  Now that I think about it he has at least six Magnums because I know he has a 7130 also.

Almost all of ours are the xx50 . 8950 is the king IMO

Let me add that they are not supposed to be that much but almost all that I have been around are good runners. Dealer in NY said that most dyno much more than supposed to, so if you add fuel to that it could be the issue

I was wondering the same thing about the hp figures.

My brother has 2 7140s.  One stock 2wd, one warmed over mfd.  He bought the mfd as it is, obviously has more fueling and also most likely more timing.  It definitely sounds and runs different than the other one.  The mfd went on the dyno to track down a head gasket leak and they said it did 240.

I wouldn't discount an issue or issues with the injectors or pistons.  My dad chased a heating problem for 2 years.  Late this past fall, the dealer tore down the engine because of a fuel or oil leak (I don't remember which) and found that 3 or 4 of the injectors were bad which likely resulted in the scored pistons.

About 7 years back, right after we got the tractor (7250) we put in new injectors and a head gasket.

We thought it was the clutch or the muffler at first but could not verify a problem with either.

It got cold enough here that I could do a little more chiseling and got the field finished. About 4 1/2 hours worth, went through 75 gallons of fuel. I'm thinking 16 2/3 gal/hr is a little rich for 8.3L?  Now I think I need to dyno it to see what it's putting out, and find an appropriate fuel setting.