MTO

2nd Western PA redneck project

Can`t bring myself to scrap my old 1983 wrecker.

Frame rotted away after 160K miles of PA salt. 

Took off the road in 2008 but used around shop for R&R engines/pushing in no-starts etc.

It all ended lifting jersey barriers couple years ago.

I have been LOST here without this piece of equipment. 

Searched for another used non-roadworthy wrecker  and they start at $5K in these parts. SO....

After acquiring this solid 1978 K2500 with a blown small block for $700, I got to thinking...

I have everything I need to make a simple winch truck.

Sold the bed off the 78, pulled motor, auto tranny and transfer case. 

Brought the 83 in to begin surgery. Pulling 454/4-sp/transfer/boom & winches to put on the 78. 

It`s not gonna be on the front page of Tow Times or American Towman but I will have a handy light powerful dual winch truck. 

Stay tuned as this might take this old man all winter...

K2500 project (Medium).JPG

K2500 project 2 (Medium).JPG

K2500 project 3 (Medium).JPG

K3500 project (Medium).JPG

K3500 project 2 (Medium).JPG

Well; aren't you an enterprising fellow!   Looks like a good project, keep us up to date!

Pa salt sucks! and now we got brine water hate driving I80 in the winter! But I half to! 

😂😂...oops....looks like a fun project! Simple and straight forward deal with them older chevys

Yeah, the chevy to chevy projects don`t require a lot of thought or fabbing as long as you stay in the right year ranges. 

And I don`t need it road worthy which makes it even easier/cheaper.

Just a lot of rust in the eyes tho. 

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Just a lot of rust in the eyes tho. 

Pops used to fire up the air chisel with a hammer bit on it and give the work area area a "pre-beating "

Funny I forgot about that until you mentioned rust in the eyes :)  Thanks for reminding me !

Maybe you could incorporate a touch of IH into your project ( just to remain politically correct )

Or maybe just mount a bow tie on this TD14:ph34r:

td14 w crane hughes keenan.jpg

1 hour ago, Kevingweq said:

Pops used to fire up the air chisel with a hammer bit on it and give the work area area a "pre-beating "

Funny I forgot about that until you mentioned rust in the eyes :)  Thanks for reminding me !

Maybe you could incorporate a touch of IH into your project ( just to remain politically correct )

Or maybe just mount a bow tie on this TD14:ph34r:

td14 w crane hughes keenan.jpg

Well Kevin, I am using a Case 1840 to do the lifting. Does that count?

Since the 78 was an auto and your putting in the 4spd how much work is that gonna be? Does the 78 have holes already for clutch linkage? Will the pedal assemblies interchange or will there be modifications needed? Cant remember how those are set up....i could look at mine but its dark and i am tired...😴

If I`m not mistaken, the cabs from 73 to 87 are the same. And I THINK all cabs have clutch pedal bracket. I`ll hafta go look too. I know there is a company called Novak that has conversions but haven`t looked yet. Guess I better huh?!

Took a peek at my junk. 73 auto 4x4 has a spot for the clutch rod to go down but hole is not there. Tunnel unbolts for access. 84 auto 4x4 has neither. 86 4spd 4x4 clutch rod goes thru right by steering column. Couldnt really tell about the pedal assy without a little better light. Gonna be some work but worth it.

How much work to convert to a hyd clutch? Rob stuff from 87 and up? You have everything on the floor now to swap. Bellhousings interchange?  Been a while...fuzzy memory....

Years ago we can turned a stick shift into an auto but we had a complete donor truck for parts, column and all

Going to an auto is pretty easy. All the linkage is outside the firewall. On the 4spd it's that extra brake pedal on the left that's the bugger...

Well, progress is slow BUT got the walk-away off. And btw, whoever named it that has never removed one. A lot of pulling/twisting/cutting/wrenching and bleeding occurred first and it STILL didn`t walk away!

I've got half that same set up going into an 87, problem is that the 87 is the last yr of the square body and the first for fuel injection and hyd clutch pedal. If the old frame has the z bar linkage pivot socket you're good to go switching from one to the other. 

On 1/21/2017 at 11:41 PM, Outgrew the offset said:

I've got half that same set up going into an 87, problem is that the 87 is the last yr of the square body and the first for fuel injection and hyd clutch pedal. If the old frame has the z bar linkage pivot socket you're good to go switching from one to the other. 

87 was first year fuel inj, 86 was hyd clutch, z-bar bracket bolts to d/s top of frame under column frame should already be drilled for 3/8 bolts.. I've done the swap he's doing been awhile 73-80 are same and 81-87 are slightly modified the front bumper mounts are different, 81-87 uses all same cab mounts where older ones are taller only on rear of cab iirc. There were several small changes to trim, electric etc. the only major change made to the body in that run was the round fuel door went square and the wipers went from under the hood to their own panel along with different fenders

'87 was only fuel injection on the half ton model iirc, I don't remember the 3/4 being Injected that year but I could be forgetting .'88 all but the ton truck was injected, the ton truck and the burban were available through '92? as the old body style and the first ton truck with fuel injection was the new body style

I`m going 83 to 78 btw. 

21 hours ago, bitty said:

'87 was only fuel injection on the half ton model iirc, I don't remember the 3/4 being Injected that year but I could be forgetting .'88 all but the ton truck was injected, the ton truck and the burban were available through '92? as the old body style and the first ton truck with fuel injection was the new body style

Friend had a 87, efi 350.  Shop I knew had a 89 sq body 1 ton, efi 454

On 1/27/2017 at 0:00 AM, bitty said:

On 1/27/2017 at 9:20 PM, TroyDairy said:

Friend had a 87, efi 350.  Shop I knew had a 89 sq body 1 ton, efi 454

Both of you are correct they ran out the parts they had after 87 most were known as R/V chassis as opposed to the C/K trucks same basic thing though ran them to 92 iirc. I cannot say for sure I wasn't in a dealership at that time but I know you could still get the carryover body style of the 98 C/K truck through 2002 in 3/4 or 1 ton only with a 350 or 454, all half ton Silverado after late 98 were LS powered new body style..

Progress report please ? 

On 2/21/2017 at 5:06 PM, 560Dennis said:

Progress report please ? 

Front clip off as I said earlier, motor/trans ready to lift but need to haul SS here to lift out as cherry picker won`t. 

Since going solo here, progress has ground to a halt, sigh.

Did have a retired friend offer his help for free but then he got side tracked a month ago. 

Well boys, my very first topic in "projects" category and I am ashamed to say that due to some circumstances out of my control, the project has been sold. 

Well, the wrecker left Friday on a tiltbed headed for salvage yard.

34 years my name was on it`s title.

The 78 will probably go next.

I don`t know who I was kidding to tear into this anyhow.  I just had to be realistic. 

Man I wish I was 20 again... or 30... or 40... or 50... or 60!

Y'know the old saying, "his eyes are bigger than his belly"? Well, with guys our age, it's more the big belly that stops us! Keeps the butt anchored to the armchair in front of the TV!

Don't be too hard on your self, we have all done that.

Most just don't admit it.

Something better will come along to take its place.