KevinHornbuckle

1980 IH Cargostar 1850B with boom

I recently got this 1981 Cargostar 1850B. It is surplus from the Navy. Mostly it is going to be a general work truck and hobby welding rig. There are lots of little things to do on it, but the body, chassis, and work bed are in good shape. Transmission is Allison MT643 and it works well so far. I have not gotten into the crane yet except to see that it works. Overall, the wet kit is in very good condition. The first thing I will do is repair the leaking seal on the steering gearbox.

This is my fist posting on this board. I will be looking for tips and advice from guys who know this kind of rig. I have some mods in mind and I plan to post them here to see if they generate any comments.

image.jpg

Welcome. Neat truck, lots of knowledgeable people here.

Dennis

I had a 72 or 73 model (Been a while) they are very neat truck I think. I was drawn to them due to a Truck I seen at the yard my dad drove out of in OKC. They had one that was a P&D tractor. I got one that was a gas job. Had big plans but fell through. I been looking for one now and then. Look on the internet you will see what some folk have done with theirs. Here is mine I had long gone now. The guy who got it said he was going to put a camper on it.  

Another project.jpg

I like that picture, Everett Dale. I think converting that chasis to a diesel pusher would be great so that engine noide would be minimal and the camper body could extend over the cab. Air ride too, while I'm fantasizing.

On 12/12/2016 at 2:08 AM, KevinHornbuckle said:

I like that picture, Everett Dale. I think converting that chasis to a diesel pusher would be great so that engine noide would be minimal and the camper body could extend over the cab. Air ride too, while I'm fantasizing.

Ahh the Fantasizing I too am long on design and short on funds!!! 

I have an old Ford 3 ton with a Foco crane mounted behind the cab. Handiest thing on the place!