Sign in to follow this  
Jodar23

ID9 restoration brain fodder.

Jodar23    0

Hello everyone, 

I have come to get a little expert help on an idea that keeps popping up in my head, I have the awful feeling it might be a poor idea but all the same I figured it might be worth coming to you guys for your expertise.

I have been restoring an ID9 as a working tractor and I am trying to add a hydraulic reservoir that wont become an eyesore. The idea hit me to use the transmission and differential case as a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid (sort of like the John Deere 4210 we also use) and adding an oil cooler so that the oil doesn't get too hot. 

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and see if this is a horrible idea and just stick with an external reservoir. 

redturbo    0

Sounds like a good idea,  pretty much what the 560/660 did.  Hopefully TCMtech sees this,  he did this to his W450 with a backhoe he added. 

tcmtech    0

I see it.

It shouldn't be a problem and unless your running a high volume high pressure hydraulic system with high duty cycles you definitely wont need a cooler unit either.   That's a lot of heavy steel with a good sized surface area to have to heat up. 

I'm running a 20 -25 GPM 2500 PSI system  on my W450 for the backhoe (high pressure high duty cycle application)  and overheating not really an issue with that.  It gets pretty warm, ~140 F which is hot to touch but no where near hot enough to be an issue for the fluids or machinery itself. 

Being an old machine I recomend using a screen type prefilter and a spin on post filter in the system though.  As for where to tie in pull of the drain plug in the back and put it in up towards the front. Mine goes in through the top inspection plate where the old belt pulley gearbox would have sat. 

Jodar23    0

Good to know, will I need to worry about the transmission capacity (about 10 gal), or will I be alright if I just make sure that it is topped off? What fluid do you use for your system Tcmtech? I was thinking about just using Hy-Tran or something similar. Do you happen to have any pictures of your setup? 

Thank you both for your help, this makes me feel a little more sane. 

tcmtech    0

The transmissions on those tractors are far from airtight. In fact most are far from liquid tight some 50 - 60 years later.:ph34r:

10 gallons is more than enough to keep the system working properly.  My W450 holds about the same but since I do a fair amount of backhoe work on hills I run mine  two or three gallons over the side port level.

As for what fluid to use well that's war talk on this forum.  :P

Me personally I have always ran the cheapest Hy-tran I could find in all of our old tractors transmissions which usually comes from Tractor Supply.  $25 a 5-gallon bucket when it's on sale.

Jodar23    0

Awesome! Thank you for your help Tcmtech, Ill also keep in mind to keep the oil talk to a minimum haha.